Roxio Community

Error -39, Eyetv Recording To Dvd In Toast 09...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rmcinnes

rmcinnes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

OS X Error -39, when attempting to create a DVD Video of a eyeTV Recording in Toast 09…

I have spent several hours recovering from this problem, and fixing a corrupt eyeTV recording.
Here is what I have learned, for those of you who may have the same experience.

background:
the eyeTV recording plays back fine in eyeTV, but failed with a cryptic IOS X Error code -39 in Toast 09.  The error occurred at the end of the multiplexing process, prior to buffering to memory and writing to DVD.  The DVD remained blank.

a quick check:
to confirm the eyeTV recording is corrupt with OS X error -39 [missing an End Of File marker]…
in Finder Column View, navigate to the .eyetv recording, right click on the file name, and select Show Package Contents,
click on the .mpg file name [MPEG Movie File],
the icon image in the right hand column should be an extract from the movie…
if it is only a black and white icon of a few musical notes, then the file is likely to be corrupt.

to confirm the file is corrupt:
double click on the .mpg file, to open the file in QuickTime,
the movie should play with video image and audio…
if corrupt, QuickTime will display an audio only window, appears to be playing but no audio or video produced.  

to recover your Recording:
in eyeTV, select the recording, and select edit…
and trim a small part, say 5 seconds, off the beginning of the recording,
compact the recording,
when completed, the trimmed recording should now be be OK.

note: if you are curious, you might like to save the timed part of the recording as a Clip.
I did so, and found that even the Clip was now OK, and played in Quick Time...  

to confirm:
make sure the recording plays in eyeTV,
repeat the quick check [above],

the end:
go ahead and use Toast to create the DVD recording…

Conclusion:
eyeTV appears to occasionally fail to properly close the eyeTV recording [append an EOF marker] after performing the previous Trim and Compact process.  
It is definitely the eyeTV recording at fault, confirmed by copying the file from MacMini II to iMac 24, and repeating the attempt to create the DVD recording using Toast 09 directly from the .eyeTV file…

Hope this information is helpful, I have posted this guide to eyeTV and Toast  Forums…

Robert.

#2 brovem

brovem

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hello Robert!

Thank you very much for you post.

It's very good when someone make full bug report with "How to solve it".

View Postrmcinnes, on 02 November 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

OS X Error -39, when attempting to create a DVD Video of a eyeTV Recording in Toast 09…

I have spent several hours recovering from this problem, and fixing a corrupt eyeTV recording.
Here is what I have learned, for those of you who may have the same experience.

background:
the eyeTV recording plays back fine in eyeTV, but failed with a cryptic IOS X Error code -39 in Toast 09.  The error occurred at the end of the multiplexing process, prior to buffering to memory and writing to DVD.  The DVD remained blank.

a quick check:
to confirm the eyeTV recording is corrupt with OS X error -39 [missing an End Of File marker]…
in Finder Column View, navigate to the .eyetv recording, right click on the file name, and select Show Package Contents,
click on the .mpg file name [MPEG Movie File],
the icon image in the right hand column should be an extract from the movie…
if it is only a black and white icon of a few musical notes, then the file is likely to be corrupt.

to confirm the file is corrupt:
double click on the .mpg file, to open the file in QuickTime,
the movie should play with video image and audio…
if corrupt, QuickTime will display an audio only window, appears to be playing but no audio or video produced.  

to recover your Recording:
in eyeTV, select the recording, and select edit…
and trim a small part, say 5 seconds, off the beginning of the recording,
compact the recording,
when completed, the trimmed recording should now be be OK.

note: if you are curious, you might like to save the timed part of the recording as a Clip.
I did so, and found that even the Clip was now OK, and played in Quick Time...  

to confirm:
make sure the recording plays in eyeTV,
repeat the quick check [above],

the end:
go ahead and use Toast to create the DVD recording…

Conclusion:
eyeTV appears to occasionally fail to properly close the eyeTV recording [append an EOF marker] after performing the previous Trim and Compact process.  
It is definitely the eyeTV recording at fault, confirmed by copying the file from MacMini II to iMac 24, and repeating the attempt to create the DVD recording using Toast 09 directly from the .eyeTV file…

Hope this information is helpful, I have posted this guide to eyeTV and Toast  Forums…

Robert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users