• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave_in_FL

Dave_in_FL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

I'm currently researching video editing products to use to create DVD's of my recent 16,600 mile motorcycle trip from Key West to Deadhorse Alaska and back home to Tampa.
During this trip I shot over 200GB of 1080P video and over 1200 photographs.

I Want to create a project that interlaces video with still photos using transitions between them and then render it to a Blu-Ray Disc as well as Std Definition DVD's to share with family and friends.
I see in the info on Roxio's web site that it uses CUDA for faster rendering, but nowhere does it say if this is a 64-bit multithreaded application suite.
This is important to me as it will greatly improve performance over a 32-bit application that won't take a much advantage of the quad-core i7 system I just purchased.

Anyone know the answer to this??

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

View PostDave_in_FL, on 06 November 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

I'm currently researching video editing products to use to create DVD's of my recent 16,600 mile motorcycle trip from Key West to Deadhorse Alaska and back home to Tampa.
During this trip I shot over 200GB of 1080P video and over 1200 photographs.

I Want to create a project that interlaces video with still photos using transitions between them and then render it to a Blu-Ray Disc as well as Std Definition DVD's to share with family and friends.
I see in the info on Roxio's web site that it uses CUDA for faster rendering, but nowhere does it say if this is a 64-bit multithreaded application suite.
This is important to me as it will greatly improve performance over a 32-bit application that won't take a much advantage of the quad-core i7 system I just purchased.

Anyone know the answer to this??

It is not a 64 bit application.  But it is pretty fast.   I know of only 2  different 64 bit applications for video editing.  I have one and don't use it except for special functions because Cretaor 2012 is logical to use. I have an i7  processor and 64 bit W7 as shown in my signature.  

Remember that on a single layer  DVD, you can put only one hour of the best quality on the disc.  Double that for double layer.  Creator 2012 allows you to use DivX which is highly compressed but of good quality but people must have the ability to play that kind of disc.  The one hours at best quality is standard in the industry and any more, will result in lower quality which my or may not be noticeable.

Try it.  Buy it from an online store and if you don't like it, you have 30 days to return it for a refund.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 Dave_in_FL

Dave_in_FL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

View Postsknis, on 06 November 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

It is not a 64 bit application.  But it is pretty fast.   I know of only 2  different 64 bit applications for video editing.  I have one and don't use it except for special functions because Cretaor 2012 is logical to use. I have an i7  processor and 64 bit W7 as shown in my signature.  

Remember that on a single layer  DVD, you can put only one hour of the best quality on the disc.  Double that for double layer.  Creator 2012 allows you to use DivX which is highly compressed but of good quality but people must have the ability to play that kind of disc.  The one hours at best quality is standard in the industry and any more, will result in lower quality which my or may not be noticeable.

Try it.  Buy it from an online store and if you don't like it, you have 30 days to return it for a refund.

Well, now I'm confused...
When I posted here I also entered a support request to Roxio/Rovi.
I received a response (see below) stating that it IS indeed a 64-bit multi-threaded application.

SO WHICH IS IT - Yes, or No??

Dave
Now Deployed in Doha, Qatar

Ticket: 1246830
Date:11/12/2011
Dear David,

I understand your concern, I am glad to inform you that Roxio Creator 2012 is 64-bit multi-threaded application, you can go a head and purchase the product. For further queries please feel free to update this web ticket.

Regards,
Vijay
Customer Care

#4 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

View PostDave_in_FL, on 19 November 2011 - 01:03 AM, said:

Well, now I'm confused...
When I posted here I also entered a support request to Roxio/Rovi.
I received a response (see below) stating that it IS indeed a 64-bit multi-threaded application.

SO WHICH IS IT - Yes, or No??

Dave
Now Deployed in Doha, Qatar

Ticket: 1246830
Date:11/12/2011
Dear David,

I understand your concern, I am glad to inform you that Roxio Creator 2012 is 64-bit multi-threaded application, you can go a head and purchase the product. For further queries please feel free to update this web ticket.

Regards,
Vijay
Customer Care

Vijay didn't understand your question (or chose not to).  The program will run on a 64 bit operating system but as a 32 bit application.  It will not address all that extra memory that you may have on your computer -- see advantages of 64 bit over 32 bit.

The 64 bit software I have is somewhat faster but not necessarily 2 or 3 times faster.   As I stated above, the rendering is secondary to the ability to use the software easily -- the comparison of time to get the project ready to render vs the rendering time.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#5 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Roxio Burn and Virtual Drive both install 64 bit .dll files - the remainder of the program is 32 bit (loaded into Program Files (x86)
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users