• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Granmama

Granmama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

I created a DVD and burned copies several months ago.  I have tried and tried to open this project and even though it says it is MyDVD the message comes up, "Unable to open == not a DVD project" or something to that effect.  I have tried and tried.  I feel like I've lost my work.  Any help would be appreciated.

#2 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

View PostGranmama, on 07 November 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

I created a DVD and burned copies several months ago.  I have tried and tried to open this project and even though it says it is MyDVD the message comes up, "Unable to open == not a DVD project" or something to that effect.  I have tried and tried.  I feel like I've lost my work.  Any help would be appreciated.

What is the file extension of the file you are trying to open?  It should have a .dmsd file extension.  If not, it isn't a MyDVD project.

If you made the project in VideoWave, it will have a .dmsm file extension.  They open in MyDVD also, to be burned to a DVD.

What Roxio version are you running?
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#3 Granmama

Granmama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

The files I'm trying to open were made on Sonice Roxio...the same program I'm trying to open them with.  I burned discs but now that I want to try to open these and use the video in another DVD, I can't.  
This is Sonic DigitalMedia Plus V7.  An extension doesn't appear but when I look at the properties one says PPP file Roxio MyDVD, and the other says DVD file ROxio MyDVD.  I continue to have this problem.  Once I burn a DVD it isn't available any more.

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

View PostGranmama, on 09 November 2011 - 06:14 AM, said:

The files I'm trying to open were made on Sonice Roxio...the same program I'm trying to open them with.  I burned discs but now that I want to try to open these and use the video in another DVD, I can't.  
This is Sonic DigitalMedia Plus V7.  An extension doesn't appear but when I look at the properties one says PPP file Roxio MyDVD, and the other says DVD file ROxio MyDVD.  I continue to have this problem.  Once I burn a DVD it isn't available any more.

You have to turn on the extensions to be able to see them.
In Windows explorer, click Tools/Folder Options and then select View. In the drop-down window scroll down until you see "hide extensions for known file types". Make sure the checkbox is unchecked.

Now tell us what the extension is on the project file.

The project file only can be used with your original source files. You cannot use it with the video file that you burned to a DVD.

Sonic Digital Media Plus V7 is a very old program and most of us here are unfamiliar with that program. The properties you mention really do not mean very much

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#5 Granmama

Granmama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info.  I did what you said and the extension is  
.PPP and the other is .dvd.  I am trying to open them with the program I created them with.  I know it's an old one but it's what I've been, and am, using.  If I don't get these open I don't have any other copy of them.  I don't understand why Roxio doesn't recognize them as DVDs, that's what they are.  The icon is even a little round disk.  Any other suggestions?

#6 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

View PostGranmama, on 09 November 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

Thanks for the info.  I did what you said and the extension is  
.PPP and the other is .dvd.  I am trying to open them with the program I created them with.  I know it's an old one but it's what I've been, and am, using.  If I don't get these open I don't have any other copy of them.  I don't understand why Roxio doesn't recognize them as DVDs, that's what they are.  The icon is even a little round disk.  Any other suggestions?
They certainly aren't going to open in any version of MyDVD.  If you do a Google on the .PPP file extension, you won't find any link that refers to any Sonic/Roxio program.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users