32 replies to this topic

#1 harrellh

harrellh

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

If this is addressed in another forum entry, please let me know. I saw some references to it, but there was nothing conclusive in the responses.

I am trying to change each menu's thumbnail. I right-click on a menu thumbnail, click Select Thumbnail, then find the scene within that chapter to use as the thumbnail, and click OK. On -some- menu thumbnails, it immediately changes to the new selected thumbnail. On others it -never- changes -- even though I can select change thumbnail again, and see that the selected thumbnail is different.

I have tried saving the project.
I have then tried exiting MyDvd and reloading the project.
I have tried clearing the proxy files under Options.
Nothing solves this problem so far.

Is this a known bug?
Is there any work-around?

Here are more details as to how I created the menus ... if it matters. Everything was done using Roxio Video Lab HD software running on Windows 7.

I start Video Lab, and select Edit Video, which brings up Videowave. I import a .avi file, and split the movie into "tracks" using the split button of the timeline feature.

I then save the production as a .dmsm file, and then from Videowave I click Output/Send to MyDvd.

In MyDvd, I select Edit Chapters, and under "Automatically Create Chapters" I select At Start of Every Panel, and Go -- this creates the chapters and chapter menus.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,142 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:27 AM

Be glad to look!

Give us some examples of those that don't work :o
Posted Image

#3 harrellh

harrellh

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:43 AM

I am not sure what information you need or how to present it ...

In the same project, I can have 4 chapter thumbnails in the same menu screen, and after selecting a different thumbnail for chapter #2 it correctly displays the new thumbnail, while selecting a new thumbnail for chapter #3 the thumbnail does not change. There does not seem to be any obvious difference between the one that changes and the one that does not.

Please let me know what other information would be helpful, and how to present it.

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,142 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

Those buttons are not 'Chapters' but rather "Titles" ;)

Now there is a "Chapter menu" and of course the buttons on those seperate menu pages would be called 'Chapter Buttons' :huh:  Clear as mud, right :lol:

But, Every Menu has a Name:

Attached File  Image2.jpg   97.48K   0 downloads

Likewise Every Button Style has a Name:

Attached File  Image1.jpg   226.5K   2 downloads

What are the Names of the ones you are using???
Posted Image

#5 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 09 November 2011 - 10:41 AM, said:

Those buttons are not 'Chapters' but rather "Titles" ;)

Now there is a "Chapter menu" and of course the buttons on those seperate menu pages would be called 'Chapter Buttons' :huh:  Clear as mud, right :lol:

But, Every Menu has a Name:

Attachment Image2.jpg

Likewise Every Button Style has a Name:

Attachment Image1.jpg

What are the Names of the ones you are using???

Jim, the OP has created a chapter menu and he wants to change the video shown in the chapters thumbnails. He is creating the chapter menu correctly and is not working with titles.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#6 harrellh

harrellh

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

Right, I just split the imported .avi into different tracks in Videowave, output that to MyDvd, and use the automatic "create chapters" feature to turn every "panel" (MyDvd's name) into a "chapter" (MyDvd's name).  MyDvd creates and assigns a separate menu or submenu for every 4 chapters, and creates a visual menu button with thumbnail for each chapter -- the names are automatically chosen by MyDvd starting with 1 and going up. So literally menu chapter named "2" can have its thumbnail changed, while the one named "3" will not change.

If it would help for me to capture image(s) and paste them, I can do that also.

I don't believe this is necessarily a new problem, btw, there are other references to this on the internet, it's just that all the ones I have seen seem to get sidetracked without a conclusive resolution.

#7 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

View Postharrellh, on 09 November 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

Right, I just split the imported .avi into different tracks in Videowave, output that to MyDvd, and use the automatic "create chapters" feature to turn every "panel" (MyDvd's name) into a "chapter" (MyDvd's name).  MyDvd creates and assigns a separate menu or submenu for every 4 chapters, and creates a visual menu button with thumbnail for each chapter -- the names are automatically chosen by MyDvd starting with 1 and going up. So literally menu chapter named "2" can have its thumbnail changed, while the one named "3" will not change.

If it would help for me to capture image(s) and paste them, I can do that also.

I don't believe this is necessarily a new problem, btw, there are other references to this on the internet, it's just that all the ones I have seen seem to get sidetracked without a conclusive resolution.

Are you doing any editing in Videowave? If not then there is really no need to start with Videowave. You can just launch myDVD, add you avi (a main menu page is created with your movie as the only title on that page). Select the movie on the menu and then select "edit Movie". You can now create the same panels using the same split method. Then create the chpaters again. See if that makes any difference.

I only have C2012 installed but as far as I know the Videowave and myDVD are identical in their operation as Video Lab HD

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
SoundMAX Digital Audio
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,142 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

Yes that was right there in the first post - need to polish my bi-focals :lol:

For posting screen caps ~ HERE

I don't really have any problem with this, hence the need to know Which Ones you are using!

Here are 4 random ones I picked:

Attached File  Image4.jpg   202.17K   0 downloads

Posted Image

#9 Guest_a.lakhani@sympatico.ca_*

Guest_a.lakhani@sympatico.ca_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

==========
I have the same problem as described here. I editing in VideoWave (C2010 Pro)and wanted to change the thumbnails but was only able to change some and not others. I posted this problem some months ago but did not get a single response. The problem still persists. I WILL BE GLADE TO SEE ONE OF THE GURUS SHOWS HOW TO OVER COME THE PROBLEM or ROXIO FIXES THIS BUG IF IT IS ONE.

#10 harrellh

harrellh

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

I am editing the videos, so I need to use Videowave.  But per the first request, I tried importing the .avi directly into MyDvd, splitting into chapters, and using that method, ALL the thumbnails could be changed -- it worked fine. But that isn't sufficient because I need to do trimming and editing.

Per the second request here are screen shots from MyDvd (after using Output to MyDvd from Videowave after splitting).

"Select Thumbnail" selection window for chapter "2":
Attached File  Temp Image 1.jpg   227.53K   0 downloads

After hitting OK for "Select Thumbnail" selection window for chapter "2" (thumbnail was changed):
Attached File  Temp Image 2.jpg   204.87K   0 downloads

"Select Thumbnail" selection window for chapter "3":
Attached File  Temp Image 3.jpg   218.96K   0 downloads

After hitting OK for "Select Thumbnail" selection window for chapter "3" (thumbnail did not change):
Attached File  Temp Image 4.jpg   205.24K   0 downloads

-END-

#11 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

View Postharrellh, on 09 November 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

I am editing the videos, so I need to use Videowave.  But per the first request, I tried importing the .avi directly into MyDvd, splitting into chapters, and using that method, ALL the thumbnails could be changed -- it worked fine. But that isn't sufficient because I need to do trimming and editing.

Per the second request here are screen shots from MyDvd (after using Output to MyDvd from Videowave after splitting).

"Select Thumbnail" selection window for chapter "2":
Attachment Temp Image 1.jpg

After hitting OK for "Select Thumbnail" selection window for chapter "2" (thumbnail was changed):
Attachment Temp Image 2.jpg

"Select Thumbnail" selection window for chapter "3":
Attachment Temp Image 3.jpg

After hitting OK for "Select Thumbnail" selection window for chapter "3" (thumbnail did not change):
Attachment Temp Image 4.jpg

-END-

Are you really trying to squeeze 2:30 hours of video on a 4.7GB DVD?  It will never work as you are using fit-to-disc which has all sorts of problems when trying to compress video with menus. Even if it does work the quality will be so poor it will be unwatchable. A 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at best (HQ) quality. Any longer and the video has to be compressed. The higher the compression the lower the quality.

BTW, you don't have to set your chapter points in Videowave. It can just as easily be done in myDVD. Actually that is the preferred method.

Edited by myguggi, 09 November 2011 - 03:23 PM.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#12 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

View Posta.lakhani@sympatico.ca, on 09 November 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

==========
I have the same problem as described here. I editing in VideoWave (C2010 Pro)and wanted to change the thumbnails but was only able to change some and not others. I posted this problem some months ago but did not get a single response. The problem still persists. I WILL BE GLADE TO SEE ONE OF THE GURUS SHOWS HOW TO OVER COME THE PROBLEM or ROXIO FIXES THIS BUG IF IT IS ONE.

You do not even have the same software as the OP!  Please start a new thread in the correct forum.

BTW, how can you even log in if you are only a "guest"?

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#13 harrellh

harrellh

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

The video originates from my old VHS tapes, which have much lower equivalent resolution. Compressing that amount of material (about 2 to 2.5 hours) gives it a resolution of "LP" which is about 4 Mbs at a resolution of 352x480 (which is the recommended resolution and compression for digitizing VCR-sourced videos per www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/introduction-record-capture.htm). Note that I capture (the .avi file creation) at a much higher bit rate and resolution, since that is supposed to be better for editing purposes.

I have watched the videos on the DVD and they seem fine to me, I don't think I am losing anything by using that compression, given the source. Also, it is typical for people to copy (rip) dual-layer DVDs with 2 hours or even a bit more to single-layer DVDs, which will result in similar compression, and I can tell you those DVDs are high-quality videos, you wouldn't even know that they are copies that have been re-encoded and compressed 2x more compared to the original.

However, if you have experience that contradicts that, especially for VHS-based (low resolution) sourced videos, please let me know, as I am open to suggestions and advice. For example, if you feel from experience with the Roxio software that it will cause problems with menus or something else, I definitely would like to know if it is considered a big mistake. I am just trying to use the toolset and features that Roxio provides.

Regarding the setting of chapters, it just seems a lot easier to break the video into sections (tracks) that I then can trim up and edit as I like in Videowave. Then having each section be automatically turned into a chapter in MyDvd is very nice. Otherwise I have to walk through the long video a second time and set the chapters again.

I appreciate your effort, do you think there is a resolution for this problem?

#14 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,142 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:23 AM

Of course you can suite yourself about Time & Video but you will actually run across many DVD Players that will not even play a DVD with that low of a quality setting!

Personally I would eject it after a few moments, but if your happy with it, go for it ;)

Thanks for the pics, I will dabble with this some and see what happens. Let you know!
Posted Image

#15 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,142 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

The only one I cannot get to change is the Button for Chapter 1... All the rest of them in the Projects I tried work.

I did try it on 2 different PCs, running different Versions and cannot duplicate your results.

My PC's are set for Roxio AVC SmartEncode as well as Hardware Render. Is that what you are set to?

Also, in MyDVD would you click on 'Help - About' and tell us what the Build Number is??? (mine is 131B66A ENU)
Posted Image

#16 harrellh

harrellh

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

Yes, mine is set to SmartEncode and Hardware Render.

Did you use Videowave to break it up into tracks, then use MyDvd to automatically turn those tracks into chapters/menus (Edit Chapters, and under "Automatically Create Chapters" select At Start of Every Panel, and Go)? Because splitting with MyDvd, as stated earlier, does -not- have this problem.

BTW, I cannot change the first menu thumbnail either -- which seems to be tied into the "main" menu as the first thumbnail -- if I change the "main" menu first thumbnail, it also changes the the first menu page's first thumbnail.

Also, I found an older version of MyDvd (from Roxio Creator SD 10.3) and it seems to have the same problem (unable to change some thumbnails). It also can't change menu 1 thumbnail unless I change the main menu thumbnail. Note that in the older version, I had split the chapters differently. So using the same AVI file as the base, I have split into chapters differently using my new Video Lab HD version of Videowave, and split them differently using my old Creator 10 version of Videowave, and still have problems with, as an example, changing the first menu page's third thumbnail -- seems to be consistently the third, regardless of where it was split, regardless of version. I really think it's a software bug.

Here is my current version:

Attached File  Image1.jpg   18.35K   0 downloads

(edit to remove SN ;) jeh)

Edited by Jim_Hardin, 12 November 2011 - 07:32 AM.

#17 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,142 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

Part of the difficulty is you refuese to speak the language of the software... :(  There are NO SUCH THINGS as 'Tracks'! Therefore I have absolutly no idea what you are doing. Using your own made up slang is not helping...

I did try several variations but could not reproduce your problem! I also believe that this does exist so I will make one shot-in-the-dark suggestion :lol:

Do the Prep Steps to the letter!

Then start the install of the Suite, only pick Repair when it is offered.

Updates to Roxio (if there are any) will have to be installed.
Posted Image

#18 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

View Postharrellh, on 12 November 2011 - 06:14 AM, said:

Yes, mine is set to SmartEncode and Hardware Render.

Did you use Videowave to break it up into tracks, then use MyDvd to automatically turn those tracks into chapters/menus (Edit Chapters, and under "Automatically Create Chapters" select At Start of Every Panel, and Go)? Because splitting with MyDvd, as stated earlier, does -not- have this problem.

BTW, I cannot change the first menu thumbnail either -- which seems to be tied into the "main" menu as the first thumbnail -- if I change the "main" menu first thumbnail, it also changes the the first menu page's first thumbnail.

Also, I found an older version of MyDvd (from Roxio Creator SD 10.3) and it seems to have the same problem (unable to change some thumbnails). It also can't change menu 1 thumbnail unless I change the main menu thumbnail. Note that in the older version, I had split the chapters differently. So using the same AVI file as the base, I have split into chapters differently using my new Video Lab HD version of Videowave, and split them differently using my old Creator 10 version of Videowave, and still have problems with, as an example, changing the first menu page's third thumbnail -- seems to be consistently the third, regardless of where it was split, regardless of version. I really think it's a software bug.

Here is my current version:

Attachment Image1.jpg

(edit to remove SN ;) jeh)

What is the build number of Videowave and myDVD in Roxio Video Lab HD program?

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#19 harrellh

harrellh

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

I will try all the steps that were suggested and post the results.

In the future, instead of using "tracks", I will call them "panels", and here is what they look like (from the help window for Videowave). In my case, each panel represents a portion of the original .avi video that was added at the start.
Attached File  Capture.JPG   84.04K   0 downloads

Here is all the current build information from all the "Help/About" selections (before I have performed all the suggested steps). Note that my previous version of Creator 10 had the same problem.

VideoWave:
Attached File  Capture 2.JPG   70.73K   0 downloads

MyDvd:
Attached File  Capture 3.JPG   67K   0 downloads

Main Video Lab HD (scrolling graphic window so had to clip multiple windows):
Attached File  Capture 4a.JPG   47.82K   0 downloads
Attached File  Capture 4b.JPG   33.02K   0 downloads
Attached File  Capture 4c.JPG   32.37K   0 downloads
Attached File  Capture 4d.JPG   33.23K   0 downloads
Attached File  Capture 4e.JPG   33.5K   0 downloads
Attached File  Capture 4f.JPG   34.29K   0 downloads
Attached File  Capture 4g.JPG   33.08K   0 downloads

Thanks.

#20 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,142 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:09 AM

Did you run that full Repair proceedure yet?

Does this happen with Every Project?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users