• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Signaleer06

Signaleer06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

I bought the Roxio Creator SE 2011 a year ago, and finally had time to start some projects.  

What I'm trying to do is copy from VHS to a hard drive vs to a dvd.  I used the roxio easy vhs to dvd, seemed easy enough to get the project file.  I then wanted to add chapters, so it wasn't one huge file, then right that a digital version for saving on an external hdd.  

Easy vhs2dvd created a 8gb file, but when I added chapters and tried to write it, it took over 24 hours and i gave up at 20%.

What is the process to take it from vhs to say a 1gb file on my hdd?

I"m currently trying to import into mydvd media import, but that seems to be creating a very large file, probably in the 35gb size before its done.

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

View PostSignaleer06, on 13 November 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

I bought the Roxio Creator SE 2011 a year ago, and finally had time to start some projects.  

What I'm trying to do is copy from VHS to a hard drive vs to a dvd.  I used the roxio easy vhs to dvd, seemed easy enough to get the project file.  I then wanted to add chapters, so it wasn't one huge file, then right that a digital version for saving on an external hdd.  

Easy vhs2dvd created a 8gb file, but when I added chapters and tried to write it, it took over 24 hours and i gave up at 20%.

What is the process to take it from vhs to say a 1gb file on my hdd?

I"m currently trying to import into mydvd media import, but that seems to be creating a very large file, probably in the 35gb size before its done.

File size means nothing when it comes to video work, it is the length of time that is important and the video quality setting you are using. a 4.7GB DVD can hold 60 minutes of video at the best (HQ) quality setting. Any longer and the video has to be compressed and you lose some quality. The size of the source file doesn't matter.

You have not given any info on the settings you used so it is impossible to tell what you are doing wrong. It almost seems like you used a BlueRAy setting to create your disc if it is taking that long

If your capture file is approaching 35GB then your source video must be over 2 hours long. I would not try to burn that to a DVD, it would be terrible quality. Capture in no longer then 60 minute segments and burn to separate DVDs.

Edited by myguggi, 13 November 2011 - 11:40 AM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 Signaleer06

Signaleer06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thank you for the reply;

As far as import settings, I don't really see a whole lot of choices here: Capture settings DV- input: Composite Video, and can set capture length, which I set to 2:05.  

The capture video ended up at 29.9 GB.  Now, when I used the Easy VHS to DVD the file was only 8g.  

I was able to add chapters to each of the files now using MyDVD, But I still cannot figure out how to write directly back to a digital file type i.e. wmv, avi, mpeg

Is there a way to do this? Copy a VHS to digital, add chapters, then save it back as a digital file?

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

View PostSignaleer06, on 13 November 2011 - 08:54 PM, said:

Thank you for the reply;

As far as import settings, I don't really see a whole lot of choices here: Capture settings DV- input: Composite Video, and can set capture length, which I set to 2:05.  

The capture video ended up at 29.9 GB.  Now, when I used the Easy VHS to DVD the file was only 8g.  

I was able to add chapters to each of the files now using MyDVD, But I still cannot figure out how to write directly back to a digital file type i.e. wmv, avi, mpeg

Is there a way to do this? Copy a VHS to digital, add chapters, then save it back as a digital file?

That 29GB file was probably captured in DV avi format while the 8GB file is in mpg format. It would depend on what settings you used when capturing

Why do you want to encode to wmv, avi or mpeg? I thought you wanted to create a DVD? Chapters only have meaning when you burn a DVD not when you create video files.

Did you read my post about file sizes and capturing? I do not recommend capturing video to files longer then 60 minutes.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users