• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 loriehall

loriehall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

I would like to know if there is a way to get more photos on one cd?  I am copying them for a client and I am new to actually copying my files, I normally just download them to my website and they order from there.  I don't know if my photos are way too big and can be re-sized or not.  They are currently 5184x3456 pixels at 230 dpi.  Does this sound too big?  I want them to be at a good size for my clients to print photos if they so desire.  I currently have 823 photos I would like to share with them.  My CD-R's are 700MB, are these the largest size of cds?  It shows that this amount of photos will take 18 cds.  That just seems like too many, or does that sound correct with the information I have given you.  One last question, is there a simple and easy way to send my photos to a company to have them copied to cds professionally?  I just really don't know about this side of photography at all.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I apologize if my question appears to be elementary.  Thanks.

#2 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,015 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:03 AM

The information we really need to know is the "data" size of your pictures, not the size in pixels.  Now, based on what you've said, 823 pictures over 18 CDs, that would tell me that your pictures are about 15MB each?  If that's true, then 823 pictures will indeed take about 18 CD-R discs.  If you go to DVD discs, then you'll only need 3 or 4 discs.  

You say you want your clients to be able to print photos.  What size photos?  They're definitely bigger than necessary for a 4"x6" print, but if they're going to be printing a 10"x8" or larger, then maybe they're not too big.

Next, what file format are you using?  .JPG?  If so, then you could conceivably increase the compression some, and make the files smaller, but again, if you blow the picture up large, you'll start to see the compression artifacts.    So, it's entirely possible that your 823 photos will need 18 CDs.  

As for sending them some place to have them "copied to cds professionally"?  They'll wind up doing essentially the same thing you would do on your own PC, and the "easy way to send your photos to them" would be on a CD or DVD.  Or are you talking about printing labels on the discs to make them look more professional?  There are a number of ink jet printers that let you do that, as long as you're using ink-jet printable discs.  Or consider light-scribe.  

There... that's probably more information and more questions than you wanted or expected, but the answer(s) depends a lot on exactly what you need and want for your clients.  If you have more questions, please feel free to ask!

Edited by d_deweywright, 15 November 2011 - 04:17 AM.

Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity.  Lick it once and you'll suck forever.  - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 7800 video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD  | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer  | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 1100 printer | Microtek i900 Scanner]

#3 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,299 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:07 AM

Hi Lorie! That is an interesting dilemma :lol:

Your photo files are quite large, but if you reduce them, you lose quality... I assume they are Printer Quality and reducing them is not an option???

In that case the size is fixed and you just need larger media to place them on.

A 4.7 GB DVD will hold about 6.7 CD's worth of material...

That means it would take about 3 DVD's to copy all them. Those little 'Thumb Drives' in 4, 8 or 16 GB might be an option too??? The 4 GB is almost equal to a DVD :huh:

Whatever way you decide to go, it will take some time to get them all onto media.
Posted Image

#4 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,654 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

View Postloriehall, on 14 November 2011 - 06:42 PM, said:

They are currently 5184x3456 pixels at 230 dpi.  Does this sound too big?  

Based on the information above, each picture has a dimension of 22.5 inch x 15 inch.

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 3
Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

1 GB DDR3 EVGA GeForce GT 630
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Samsung SH-S203B, Asus DRW-2014L1T
Epson R300 printer, Epson 4490 Scanner

#5 loriehall

loriehall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

Thank you so very much for your help...you have really helped answer my questions.  One more, if I put the photos on a DVD, will it act just like a CD for ordering?  If so, I think that is the route I will go.  Thanks again for sharing your wisdom with me!

#6 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,446 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

View Postloriehall, on 15 November 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

Thank you so very much for your help...you have really helped answer my questions.  One more, if I put the photos on a DVD, will it act just like a CD for ordering?  If so, I think that is the route I will go.  Thanks again for sharing your wisdom with me!

Yes, anyone with a Windows based computer can explore and view those files.
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users