11 replies to this topic

#1 bullhead001

bullhead001

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

I get an error message in videowave when trying to output the movie I have created that says I am out of memory, and I am nowhere near out of memory. Any ideas? I just installed 2011, and everything was fine until I tried to output the video. The Roxio 2009 I have been using was no problem yesterday.
I did reboot with a delay before restarting...same result.

Edited by bullhead001, 17 November 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

View Postbullhead001, on 17 November 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

I get an error message in videowave when trying to output the movie I have created that says I am out of memory, and I am nowhere near out of memory. Any ideas? I just installed 2011, and everything was fine until I tried to output the video. The Roxio 2009 I have been using was no problem yesterday.
I did reboot with a delay before restarting...same result.

How much free space on your hard drive, both the system drive and the drive where you are storing your output file?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 bullhead001

bullhead001

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 17 November 2011 - 12:33 PM, said:

How much free space on your hard drive, both the system drive and the drive where you are storing your output file?

Over 15 gig on my c drive...it is a laptop. Roxio shows 14.04 gig available. The movie is only about 115 mb. The exact message is:
Error
Ran out of memory

Edited by bullhead001, 17 November 2011 - 02:17 PM.

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

View Postbullhead001, on 17 November 2011 - 01:17 PM, said:

Over 15 gig on my c drive...it is a laptop. movie is only about 115 mb. The exact message is:
Error
Ran out of memory

15GB is very little free space especially if it is fragmented. Can you free up some space, defrag and try again.

BTW, file size is not important, it is the timelength of the video that matters much more as well as the quality of the output video.
What output setting are you using? Hopw long in time is the source video?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#5 bullhead001

bullhead001

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 17 November 2011 - 02:19 PM, said:

15GB is very little free space especially if it is fragmented. Can you free up some space, defrag and try again.

BTW, file size is not important, it is the timelength of the video that matters much more as well as the quality of the output video.
What output setting are you using? Hopw long in time is the source video?

Video is only 4:48 long, wmv9, 1280x720. I have been making these video's w/ a less memory w/ my roxio 2009 prg. Have now got 21.1 gig open, and still get same message. Do need a defrag...running it now.

Edited by bullhead001, 17 November 2011 - 02:52 PM.

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,080 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

"Memory" doesn't refer to disc space.  It refers to RAM.

How much RAM do you have in your computer, and how many other programs are running at the same time that are using memory which Videowave needs?
How big is you swapfile/pagefile in Windows?

If you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del you'll run the Windows Task Manager, and the Performance tab will show you among other things your Page File Usage.
Mine [below] shows I'm using 512 MB of memory at the moment out of about 2GB available.

Attached File  tm.jpg   114.94K   1 downloads

What does yours show when idling, and what happens to it if you keep that graph open while using Videowave?
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#7 bullhead001

bullhead001

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

View PostBrendon, on 17 November 2011 - 04:10 PM, said:

"Memory" doesn't refer to disc space.  It refers to RAM.

How much RAM do you have in your computer, and how many other programs are running at the same time that are using memory which Videowave needs?
How big is you swapfile/pagefile in Windows?

If you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del you'll run the Windows Task Manager, and the Performance tab will show you among other things your Page File Usage.
Mine [below] shows I'm using 512 MB of memory at the moment out of about 2GB available.

Attachment tm.jpg

What does yours show when idling, and what happens to it if you keep that graph open while using Videowave?

1221m/2440m with this widow open and roxio & videowave open only. 933m/2440m with just this window running.

Edited by bullhead001, 17 November 2011 - 04:56 PM.

#8 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,080 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

You should have enough memory available, then.

What does the memory usage do on the graph if you keep that open while you're actually making Videowave work?

Have you tried manually increasing the size of your pagefile [temporarily taking it out of Windows' control and setting your own size] to see if that helps?
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

"I did it until . . "

#9 bullhead001

bullhead001

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

View PostBrendon, on 17 November 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

You should have enough memory available, then.

What does the memory usage do on the graph if you keep that open while you're actually making Videowave work?

Have you tried manually increasing the size of your pagefile [temporarily taking it out of Windows' control and setting your own size] to see if that helps?
dont under stand page file

#10 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,080 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hi,

The Pagefile is another name for the old 'Swapfile'. It's an area of hard drive which Windows uses as an extension of the RAM memory. Windows can write 'pages' of memory onto the hard drive to make RAM available for a program which demands it.

Windows is usually left to set the size of this area itself, but sometimes you can stave off a 'low memory' error by temporarily increasing the Pagefile's size manually.

You haven't said what Operating System you're using, and I'm in XP at the moment so I'll show you how to change the size of your pagefile or swapfile in XP.

-right-click My Computer, and select Properties and then the Advanced tab.
-go to Performance, click the Settings button, then select Advanced. At the bottom of the Performance Options box which opens, you'll see Virtual Memory, and the settings for your Paging File.
Note what yours is currently set to.
Attached File  po.jpg   53.62K   0 downloads

-click the Change button, and in the box which appears,
-select drive C:
-select the Custom Size button
-pick a value about 1.5 times the current size, and put that into both the Initial size and Maximum size boxes
-click the Set button, and OK out of it all.
Attached File  vm.jpg   40.75K   0 downloads

You'll probably have to restart Windows to set the new size, and you can then see if it helps the problem you're having in Videowave.

After you've finished, go back to that Virtual Memory settings box above, and click the 'System managed size' button to let Windows set it once more. It should go back to what it was before. Click Set and OK to save the options and get out.

Regards,
Brendon

Edited by Brendon, 17 November 2011 - 08:22 PM.

"I did it until . . "

#11 bullhead001

bullhead001

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:58 AM

View PostBrendon, on 17 November 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

Hi,

The Pagefile is another name for the old 'Swapfile'. It's an area of hard drive which Windows uses as an extension of the RAM memory. Windows can write 'pages' of memory onto the hard drive to make RAM available for a program which demands it.

Windows is usually left to set the size of this area itself, but sometimes you can stave off a 'low memory' error by temporarily increasing the Pagefile's size manually.

You haven't said what Operating System you're using, and I'm in XP at the moment so I'll show you how to change the size of your pagefile or swapfile in XP.

-right-click My Computer, and select Properties and then the Advanced tab.
-go to Performance, click the Settings button, then select Advanced. At the bottom of the Performance Options box which opens, you'll see Virtual Memory, and the settings for your Paging File.
Note what yours is currently set to.
Attachment po.jpg

-click the Change button, and in the box which appears,
-select drive C:
-select the Custom Size button
-pick a value about 1.5 times the current size, and put that into both the Initial size and Maximum size boxes
-click the Set button, and OK out of it all.
Attachment vm.jpg

You'll probably have to restart Windows to set the new size, and you can then see if it helps the problem you're having in Videowave.

After you've finished, go back to that Virtual Memory settings box above, and click the 'System managed size' button to let Windows set it once more. It should go back to what it was before. Click Set and OK to save the options and get out.

Regards,
Brendon

Thanks...I am using xp pro as well. I will give it a shot. Does the 2011 program require more available memory than 2009 did?

#12 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,080 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

Sorry, I've never done comparisons on that. I rarely use Videowave.

It's just if C2009 handles your project okay but C2011 doesn't, I'm trying to see if you are actually running out of memory or perhaps there's something broken in your C2011 or some other error you're running into which isn't being trapped properly, so pops up the wrong error message.

Meanwhile, the defragging which Walt suggested and you did is always time well spent.

Regards,
Brendon

"I did it until . . "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users