• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnmshaw75

johnmshaw75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:43 AM

Hi Mark. I came looking for help with just this problem (expecting it be to upgrade from Roxio 09 to Roxio 12). Most of my video editing was analogue (tape) output from Adobe Premier. Since video went all digital I haven't had a decent output that includes panning or zooming (worst still both).
I had come to the conclusion that this is simply to do with the fact that for DVD output so much data gets thrown away that while for most video sequences we don't notice the difference, when we have continuous movement we do notice.

For example: I just redid the video from my son's wedding. The two captured video files (PAL 25fps avi) are 9.5 and 10.2 GB - captured from digital camera using firewire connection. These of course play perfectly smoothly. The ISO files which are what goes to the DVD are 2.8 and 3.4 GB respectively. So 60% of the data is gone. I assume its because sampling rates are different between the two file versions, and its the only way to squeeze an hour of video into 4.7GB.

I would think that if you are processing HD at 60fps then your data loss is going to be even greater.

My second observation is that I did have jumpy video occasionally in my analogue days (on previous long dead PC). I put this down to disk fragmentation and bought an external drive purely for video capture, and formatted it every time before making a capture. Same thing with the drive receiving the rendered data - use a dedicated drive and always format it first. That way you get a continuous write and a continuous read-back.

Glad to hear what others think on this. I sure would like a good solution.

Dell Dimension 5000 WXP SP3
3GB RAM - recently upped from 1GB (making no difference to jumpiness)
Not currently writing to clean formatted drives - maybe I should do a data cleanup on one of my partitions...

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,659 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:49 AM

John: I split this off from the "Other" topic since it was already 2 pages long :lol:

Some of your 'conclusions' are completly out of whack!

Comparing file sizes is essentually meaningless :huh:

I can capture a file, as you have done, in many different formats yeilding sizes from 3.45 to 12.8 GB/Hr for DVD, up to 96 GB/Hr for HD...

So if I capture a camcorder tape that was recorded at LP, my 96 GB "file" won't be any better than if I captured it a lowest quality setting available...

VHS tape can NEVER be made better than what it was and it was pretty low at the time!

But if you are working with DV Camcorders, then you cannot expect to exceed DVD quality based on how you capture.

But what we have seen is Hardware vs. Software rendering can make BIG differences! Software producing better results but taking a little longer ;)

Another factor is changing formats... For example if you record using an NTSC camcorder but output a DVD in PAL, it might not come out as well as it would have if you used PAL - PAL.

Obviously you are having some problems and we would be happy to try to help you with them ;)
Posted Image

#3 johnmshaw75

johnmshaw75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

Obviously you are having some problems and we would be happy to try to help you with them ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for your comments Jim. I'm trying out some of the suggested improved techniques so when I've run my tests I'll respond. It'll be a day or two before I have any results. If need be I'll upload some samples.
John

#4 johnmshaw75

johnmshaw75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

View Postjohnmshaw75, on 27 November 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

Jim. Tests run in environment recommended to Mark in first "Choppy Panning" topic: reboot with all startups disabled, internet & virus checker disabled, avoid fit to disk, increased processing priority of Videowave, clean disks - I just went and bought 2 big flashdrives instead of defragging disks.
First test was hardware rendered with reduced hardware acceleration (set via Control Panel> Display> settings> advanced > Troubleshoot) - this gave smoother but not perfect results.
Second test was software rendered and made me smile - beautiful smooth panning just like you said.
Third test was hardware rendered with further reduced hardware acceleration - but I forgot to raise the processing priority of VW so really I should rerun because results were as bad as ever.
Last test will be to use downloaded trial of Adobe Premiere elements 10. (But you won't want to know that.. Basically I'm trying to choose between upgrade to EMC or flip back to Premiere).

#5 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

You still need to defrag - when the file is being rendered a lot of temp files are written and those will NOT be written to the flash drives

Also, as Jim asked - how long IN TIME are the videos?
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#6 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,659 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

Defrag at night :huh:  That way the PC is the only one losing sleep :lol:

If Software Render cures it, it generally points to the Video Card. Update Drivers & Software from your cards site:

AMD
NVIDIA

I have revisited other software lately, including Elements... I was amazed how LONG it takes them to accomplish the same thing that Roxio does. Generally 2 to 4 times longer even with the allegedly faster 64 bit which Roxio is not :o

Try it and see. Only took One Render for me to uninstall it :P
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users