Jump to content

Roxio Community

3D Camera Video File Format


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 3Dexplorer

3Dexplorer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

I am considering purchasing a Panasonic DMC 3D1 Camera and am concerned that the Camera's 3D Video file format can not be edited.
Pansonic Specs. on the 3D1 show the 3D Video file as "MPO Motion Picture: Original Format".
I searched Google, Bing and Yahoo for information on the MPO format and could not find any information on MPO for Digital Cameras.
Pansonic does include photo/video software with the camera. 2D video editing is described in the software, but 3D is hardly mentioned.
MY QUESTION: Will Roxio Creator 2012 recognize 3D MPO, allow editing AND convert MPO to a usefull format i.e. MPEG4????? :unsure:

#2 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,458 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:31 AM

View Post3Dexplorer, on 28 November 2011 - 07:31 AM, said:

I am considering purchasing a Panasonic DMC 3D1 Camera and am concerned that the Camera's 3D Video file format can not be edited.
Pansonic Specs. on the 3D1 show the 3D Video file as "MPO Motion Picture: Original Format".
I searched Google, Bing and Yahoo for information on the MPO format and could not find any information on MPO for Digital Cameras.
Pansonic does include photo/video software with the camera. 2D video editing is described in the software, but 3D is hardly mentioned.
MY QUESTION: Will Roxio Creator 2012 recognize 3D MPO, allow editing AND convert MPO to a usefull format i.e. MPEG4????? :unsure:

MPO is usually associated with images - Multiple Picture Object.  PhotoSuite in C reator 2012 will accept MPO image files  

I'll do a little digging about MPO video but it is a side by side format.  Video Wave in Creator 2012 will work with side by side editing.   I have a different 3D camera and hardly use it becuse if the restrictions and limitations.

My suggestion is to go here  (link)  and  read about 3D and MPO on that forum.

You might want to try Creator 2012 to see if it will do what you want.  If you buyt it, you have a 30 day return guarantee.   Thjis is the sales blurb:


3D glasses and other 3D hardware is the user's responsibility
3D video input formats: over/under full and half height, side-by-side full and half width, anaglyph red/cyan, RealD, Fuji FinePix REAL 3D
3D video output formats: anaglyph red/cyan, side-by-side and full and half-width, over/under full and half height, RealD

Edited by sknis, 28 November 2011 - 08:41 AM.

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 3Dexplorer

3Dexplorer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

View Postsknis, on 28 November 2011 - 08:31 AM, said:

MPO is usually associated with images - Multiple Picture Object.  PhotoSuite in C reator 2012 will accept MPO image files  

I'll do a little digging about MPO video but it is a side by side format.  Video Wave in Creator 2012 will work with side by side editing.   I have a different 3D camera and hardly use it becuse if the restrictions and limitations.

My suggestion is to go here  (link)  and  read about 3D and MPO on that forum.

You might want to try Creator 2012 to see if it will do what you want.  If you buyt it, you have a 30 day return guarantee.   Thjis is the sales blurb:


3D glasses and other 3D hardware is the user's responsibility
3D video input formats: over/under full and half height, side-by-side full and half width, anaglyph red/cyan, RealD, Fuji FinePix REAL 3D
3D video output formats: anaglyph red/cyan, side-by-side and full and half-width, over/under full and half height, RealD
Thank you Sknis for the info. and the great link to the 3dphoto.net forum. will do some more reading in that forum.
I have most of the 3D technology down and understand it pretty good.  learning more every day. this pc is running nvidia 3d and all my video devices and tv are 3D. Just so much controversy over 3D digital cameras and file formats. And thank you for digging into MPO video for me. I gave it a good try looking for info and understanding, but could not get anywhere.

Edited by 3Dexplorer, 28 November 2011 - 11:55 AM.


#4 3Dexplorer

3Dexplorer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:37 AM

Update on the defination of MPO I found in the fine print of the Photo Fun Studio editing software included with the Panasonic 3D1 camera.

The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 7.0 / 6.5 / 6.4 / 6.3 / 6.2 / 6.1 / 6.0 Editions organize 3D photos in MPO (Multi-Picture Object) format. Images on the left are simultaneously copied in JPEG format and displayed in 2D. The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 7.0 HD Edition also organizes 3D videos.

The 3D1 Camera specs. define MPO as Motion Picture Original format.
The Editing Software defines MPO as Multi-Picture-Object format.

Still digging into this Video Output format for more information.

Edited by 3Dexplorer, 29 November 2011 - 05:38 AM.


#5 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,458 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:28 AM

View Post3Dexplorer, on 29 November 2011 - 05:37 AM, said:

Update on the defination of MPO I found in the fine print of the Photo Fun Studio editing software included with the Panasonic 3D1 camera.

The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 7.0 / 6.5 / 6.4 / 6.3 / 6.2 / 6.1 / 6.0 Editions organize 3D photos in MPO (Multi-Picture Object) format. Images on the left are simultaneously copied in JPEG format and displayed in 2D. The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 7.0 HD Edition also organizes 3D videos.

The 3D1 Camera specs. define MPO as Motion Picture Original format.
The Editing Software defines MPO as Multi-Picture-Object format.

Still digging into this Video Output format for more information.

Are you sure that you  are not referring to mjpeg (Motion jpeg)  as the original  video type?   I see that the camera will record in  mp4 or AVCHD at high definition.   Creator 2012 should take either of these formats.  

I have the inexpensive   Aiptek 3D  camera/camcorder and it takes mp4.  I can work with that in Creator 2012 to do editing.

The only way to know for sure is to try it or to wait until someone else who has that camera posts.

Edited by sknis, 29 November 2011 - 06:37 AM.

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#6 3Dexplorer

3Dexplorer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

This is a copy & paste direct from Panasonic.com "Recording File Format" for the 3D1 camera specs.



  2D - Recording File Format Still Image: JPEG (DCF / Exif 2.3)
       Motion Picture: AVCHD, MP4
  
  3D - Still Image: JPEG (DCF / Exif 2.3),
       MPO Motion Picture: Original format

I hope to read some reviews after the Camera hits the market some time in December. I won't buy one until more info. is available.

I looked at Panasonic's website trying to find some way to send an email to Panasonic for more info., but there is no way that I could see to contact them.

Edited by 3Dexplorer, 29 November 2011 - 09:46 AM.


#7 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,337 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

Bluntly, that is a lot of money for an entry level 'hold-n-hope' 3D camera...

Depends on your needs. Like Steve I bought the little Aptek to dabble with.

IF I wanted to go to the expense of converting my house to 3D (TV's, BD Players, Camcorders, etc.) I would be looking for more than that one can offer ;)
Posted Image

#8 3Dexplorer

3Dexplorer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

It all boils down to features and personal choice. The 3D1 cost is not much more than the Fujifilm W3 camera and the 3D1 has great 2D features that I like.
Our 3D home entertainment system set up is not centered around a 3D Camera or Camcorder. The 3D Camera is a nice add on to expand the options of the 3D media that is available today, plus it give me something else to do to keep my few remaining brain cells active.

Edited by 3Dexplorer, 29 November 2011 - 10:41 AM.


#9 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,337 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

I understand ;)
Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users