Roxio Community

Engine Initialization has failed (could not load CDR4)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mbdajaguar

mbdajaguar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:16 AM

Hello,

FAQ requested details:

Program: Roxia Easy CD Creator Basic v5.3.5.10
Roxio version: 5.3.5.10 (upgraded from v5.1)
Drive info: (ID string unknown) Sony CD-RW CRX320E
Recent changes: removal of Nero and other burning software
Additional info: This machine is standalone - therefore files can only (currently) be transferred to/from it by floppy disk! (USB flash drives cannot be used for various reasons)

I have recently attempted to install the above software.  Upon installation (v5.1), it is stated that no supported drives are found (I continued as the drive is supported with the upgraded version).  After completing installation of v5.1 and upgrade, the error "Easy CD Creator Engine initialization has failed: (could not load CDR4)" is displayed when the Make a data CD > data CD project is selected.

I have attempted to burn a CD, but the "no supported CD-recorders available" message appears.  I have confirmed that the CD-RW does work using Roxio (my machine has a removable hard drive).

I have also downloaded and run two seperate 'stinger' programs to eliminate the Klez virus possibility.  As stated, I have also removed a version of Nero and another CD burning program (Plextools).  The Windows Media player version is 6.4.07.1121 (therefore this is not a problem).  I have not run Roxizap because the OS is NT.

I have repeated the install several times with the same results.

Any suggestions/solutions are welcomed!

Kind regards,

Dave M

#2 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:14 AM

Did you download and install the Driveup patch to support newer drives?  (New, admittedly, being a relative term, since the last update was Dec '04)?

Since you have V.5.1, and your drive was first supported as of Driveup V.k (the current Driveup V.v would include everything previous to that), you would need that patch.

http://rpp.roxio.com...=CRX320E&OPT=fn

Lynn

#3 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,245 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:16 AM

View Postmbdajaguar, on Jun 6 2006, 05:16 AM, said:

Hello,

FAQ requested details:

Program: Roxia Easy CD Creator Basic v5.3.5.10
Roxio version: 5.3.5.10 (upgraded from v5.1)
Drive info: (ID string unknown) Sony CD-RW CRX320E
Recent changes: removal of Nero and other burning software
Additional info: This machine is standalone - therefore files can only (currently) be transferred to/from it by floppy disk! (USB flash drives cannot be used for various reasons)

I have recently attempted to install the above software.  Upon installation (v5.1), it is stated that no supported drives are found (I continued as the drive is supported with the upgraded version).  After completing installation of v5.1 and upgrade, the error "Easy CD Creator Engine initialization has failed: (could not load CDR4)" is displayed when the Make a data CD > data CD project is selected.

I have attempted to burn a CD, but the "no supported CD-recorders available" message appears.  I have confirmed that the CD-RW does work using Roxio (my machine has a removable hard drive).

I have also downloaded and run two seperate 'stinger' programs to eliminate the Klez virus possibility.  As stated, I have also removed a version of Nero and another CD burning program (Plextools).  The Windows Media player version is 6.4.07.1121 (therefore this is not a problem).  I have not run Roxizap because the OS is NT.

I have repeated the install several times with the same results.

Kind regards,

Dave M

Uninstall using the add/remove in the Control Panel.

Then use this   http://tools.roxio.c...ols/roxizap.exe     to remove anything left over.

Install ECDC5 from the cd.

If the install says there are no supported recorders tell it to install anyway.
(the updates will add support for some newer drives)
DO NOT REBOOT.
Run all the updates be sure to run 5.3.5, before driveup.
Reboot.
Make sure you get the right update Basic or Platinum

#4 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:07 AM

Does roxizap work with NTFS as well as FAT32?

Since OP brought the matter up, I don't recall seeing anything one way or the other.

Lynn

#5 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,381,980 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

View Postmbdajaguar, on Jun 6 2006, 01:16 AM, said:

Dave,

I have an idea about your problem, but I'm not certain since I've managed to assiduously avoid Win NT so far (grin).  But I'll get a few minor points out of the way first.

-your CRX320E was first supported at version 5.3.5l, so you do need the DriveUp patch to get your drive into the "recognized" table.
-Roxizap is not phased by file system, and can be used in NTFS (which most XP users have) or FAT which Win9x users have, so if you need it you can use it.

Now, the main problem.
That CDR4 problem has been seen mainly where people are using other software which uses a different version of CDR4 (such as Windows Media Player 9). In those cases we've been recommending a good clean uninstall/reinstall (uninstall via the control panel menu, then use Roxizap, then reinstall).

However this problem popped up specifically with NT in a post by ssobaski on 04-26-2003, and it might be relevant to you. He was having trouble with Creator 4, but this part of the system isn't so different in version 5, so you might be having the same problem.

May I suggest you read ssobaski's post and see if you can do what he did, and if it helps. I'm sorry I can't be authoritative about NT, but I refuse to pretend I'm clued up on it when I haven't used it.

Once you get things moving past the CDR4 problem you'd need to apply the driveup patch 535V to get recognition for your drive.

If that doesn't fix things, you could try the clean uninstall/reinstall.

Please let us know how it goes.  Here's the relevant part of ssobaski's post about "Easy CD Creator Engine initialization has failed: (could not load CDR4)"  . . .

Today, I finally stumbled upon the source of my system's problem and I thought I should post this for anyone else still working with "classic" versions of ECDC 4 or DirectCD 3.0. I discovered that within my Win NT system devices (viewed by clicking on the Devices icon in the Control Panel), the Device "Cdr4vsd" was not automatically starting upon System Bootup. When I highlighted the device in the pulldown Device menu and clicked "Start", then went to run ECDC 4, it loaded and ran perfectly. To permanently (I hope) resolve this issue I changed the "Startup" setting for "Cdr4vsd" from "Boot" to "System", then rebooted my system. This seems to have resolved the load problems that I encountered with both  Easy CD Creator 4 and Direct CD 3 on my PC. So, for anyone else pulling their hair out in the future over this problem with a similar system and version of the software, I thought that posting this might be helpful. Best regards to all of you in the past who have posted to this discussion group. While it didn't totally resolve my problem, it certainly helped me narrow down the possibilities.

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windws XP, 7, and 8

So, what happens now?

#6 mbdajaguar

mbdajaguar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:15 AM

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions & advice.

I did manage to get it working in the end - the key was the manual enabling of the driver Cdr4vsd as detailed in the quote posted by Brendon.  I did initially get a BSOD after changing the startup setting, but a re-boot cleared this and it has continued to be successful so far...

Thanks again,

Kind regards,

Dave

#7 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,381,980 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:03 AM

Excellent Dave.

Thanks for the feedback. It's great when things all come together.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

So, what happens now?

#8 jong

jong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:48 PM

I just recently recieved this error as well.

Program: Roxio Easy CD Creator Basic v5.3.5.17
Drive info: Samsung DVD/CD-RW SN-324B
Other info: Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop, software came preloaded approx. 4 years ago.  

The error started recently and there has never previously been an error associated with this software.  

I would greatly appreciate any advice given.

#9 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,381,980 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:31 PM

Hi,

If you are having the same error as this thread covers, then please try the same things to fix it.

So, what happens now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users