Janna

Dvd Playback

Question

My dad made a home video DVD for our vacation. He burned a DVD for us. We can play the DVD from a PC DVD drive but not DVD/Blue Ray player.

I don't know what option he used to burned the DVD. He can't remember himself. He also deleted the project from Roxio.

My question is is any way that we can burn another DVD or copy the DVD so that we can watch it from the regular DVD player?

Thanks a lot.

(I am a DVD dummy :))

18 answers to this question

My dad made a home video DVD for our vacation. He burned a DVD for us. We can play the DVD from a PC DVD drive but not DVD/Blue Ray player.

I don't know what option he used to burned the DVD. He can't remember himself. He also deleted the project from Roxio.

My question is is any way that we can burn another DVD or copy the DVD so that we can watch it from the regular DVD player?

Thanks a lot.

(I am a DVD dummy :))

He may have just burned the files to the disc rather than authored a DVD disc. Use Windows to open (explore) the disc and see what is on it.

If there is just files on it, there are several ways of getting the files off the disc and then to author the disc using the "Create DVD" application.

Post back when you find out what is on disc for more information.

He may have just burned the files to the disc rather than authored a DVD disc. Use Windows to open (explore) the disc and see what is on it.

If there is just files on it, there are several ways of getting the files off the disc and then to author the disc using the "Create DVD" application.

Post back when you find out what is on disc for more information.

Thanks your quick reply.

I found two directories in the Disc.

ROXIOPLASMA (has the 3 files, two DAT and one DMSD)

VIDEO_TS (Here has 11 files, a couple of BUP IFO and some file starts VTS_*)

Thanks.

More info:

He made two DVDs (different content) at the same time. The other one we can see on both device (PC or blueray player).

I compared the files on both DVDs. The files number and file names are the same. Can't tell any difference there.

More info:

He made two DVDs (different content) at the same time. The other one we can see on both device (PC or blueray player).

I compared the files on both DVDs. The files number and file names are the same. Can't tell any difference there.

What make of DVD was used to burn the project? Did he use a RW DVD (rewritable) and your DVD player may not be able to play them.

Is there any error message for the DVD that does not play?

Have you tried to play the problem DVD on a neighbours or friends DVD player?

What make of DVD was used to burn the project? Did he use a RW DVD (rewritable) and your DVD player may not be able to play them.

Is there any error message for the DVD that does not play?

Have you tried to play the problem DVD on a neighbours or friends DVD player?

The DVD is Sony DVD +R 16x. I don't think it is the DVD type issue. We have other video using the same DVD and they are able to play on the same player.

We have three different DVD players, two blueray and one is buildin with the TV (very old). None of them can play this mysterious DVD.

My dad burned two, one for us and one for himself to keep. We thought the disc might have defect, so we swop with him. The result is the same.

I think it must be some format or setting is different in this one. I could not figure out what is it as we don't have the orginial Roxio project anymore.

The DVD is Sony DVD +R 16x. I don't think it is the DVD type issue. We have other video using the same DVD and they are able to play on the same player.

We have three different DVD players, two blueray and one is buildin with the TV (very old). None of them can play this mysterious DVD.

My dad burned two, one for us and one for himself to keep. We thought the disc might have defect, so we swop with him. The result is the same.

I think it must be some format or setting is different in this one. I could not figure out what is it as we don't have the orginial Roxio project anymore.

Open C2011, tools, get disc information, and put that mysterious DVD in a drive.

Grab a screen cap and post a attachment here so we can see the disc info.

post-97-017190700 1324071372.jpg

post-97-087360900 1324071377.jpg

I think it's a DVD+R BookType BitSetting , causing the problem.

I would try this, download the free 'ImgBurn Current version: 2.5.3.0 (5,262 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application'. Here> http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Install the program and use this to rip your DVD back to the hard drive.

post-97-085406200 1324139354.jpg

post-97-026413700 1324139521.jpg

Then follow the screen shots to burn back the image file to a DVD+R disc.

Imgburn should default your DVD+R disc BookType BitSetting it to DVD-Rom.

In the future you could try a DVD-R and the players should play them.

Roxio disc info won't show want we want to do, CD DVD Speed does.

post-97-086520200 1324139523.jpg

post-97-002696800 1324139526.jpg

post-97-014850700 1324139528.jpg

post-97-043981400 1324140363.jpg

I did what you instructed. I brought a DVD-R to write. However, all the DVD players still complains. "This disc is not compatiable to playback."

Any idea? Thanks!

Any more suggestions? Thanks!

What brand name are the -R disc's?

What x speed do you burn them at?

It is memorex and the speed is set to 8x.

In get disc information they show DVD-Video closed like the +R before?

Have you tried on friends and family DVD players?

Yes. It is DVD-R,Closed, DVD-Video(MYDVD)

But the strange thing is the length only show "2K". However, I can play this DVD-R on computer without problem.

Yes. It is DVD-R,Closed, DVD-Video(MYDVD)

But the strange thing is the length only show "2K". However, I can play this DVD-R on computer without problem.

Something doesn't sound right how long is the video in time?

Post a screen shot of that will you?

Your screen shot in post #8 show 1905.7 MB!

Oops, sorry. My mistake. The size is right.

I gave the discs (the +R and the new -R) to a friend to try. He has a non brand DVD player that he brought from China. His DVD player plays both disc without problem.

Oops, sorry. My mistake. The size is right.

I gave the discs (the +R and the new -R) to a friend to try. He has a non brand DVD player that he brought from China. His DVD player plays both disc without problem.

Try one of those DVD Disc cleaners on your settop players. Some come with a wet alcohol like solution you put on the tiny brushes, see if that helps? If you have alot of dust and people smoke in the house it can be especially bad on the laser. If that doesn't do it and the settops play commercial bought DVD's I don't know what to tell you.

Never use the DVD Disc cleaner on your computer optical drives!