18 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

My dad made a home video DVD for our vacation. He burned a DVD for us. We can play the DVD from a PC DVD drive but not DVD/Blue Ray player.
I don't know what option he used to burned the DVD. He can't remember himself. He also deleted the project from Roxio.

My question is is any way that we can burn another DVD or copy the DVD so that we can watch it from the regular DVD player?

Thanks a lot.

(I am a DVD dummy :))

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,624 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

View PostJanna, on 16 December 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

My dad made a home video DVD for our vacation. He burned a DVD for us. We can play the DVD from a PC DVD drive but not DVD/Blue Ray player.
I don't know what option he used to burned the DVD. He can't remember himself. He also deleted the project from Roxio.

My question is is any way that we can burn another DVD or copy the DVD so that we can watch it from the regular DVD player?

Thanks a lot.

(I am a DVD dummy :))

He may have just burned the files to the disc rather than authored a DVD disc.   Use Windows to open (explore)  the disc and see what is on it.

If there is just files on it, there are several ways of getting the files off the disc and then to author the disc using the "Create DVD" application.

Post back when you find out what is on disc  for more information.
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

View Postsknis, on 16 December 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

He may have just burned the files to the disc rather than authored a DVD disc.   Use Windows to open (explore)  the disc and see what is on it.

If there is just files on it, there are several ways of getting the files off the disc and then to author the disc using the "Create DVD" application.

Post back when you find out what is on disc  for more information.

Thanks your quick reply.

I found two directories in the Disc.
ROXIOPLASMA (has the 3 files, two DAT and one DMSD)
VIDEO_TS (Here has 11 files, a couple of BUP IFO and some file starts VTS_*)

Thanks.

#4 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

More info:

He made two DVDs (different content) at the same time. The other one we can see on both device (PC or blueray player).
I compared the files on both DVDs. The files number and file names are the same. Can't tell any difference there.

#5 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,860 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

View PostJanna, on 16 December 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

More info:

He made two DVDs (different content) at the same time. The other one we can see on both device (PC or blueray player).
I compared the files on both DVDs. The files number and file names are the same. Can't tell any difference there.

What make of DVD was used to burn the project? Did he use a RW DVD (rewritable) and your DVD player may not be able to play them.
Is there any error message for the DVD that does not play?
Have you tried to play the problem DVD on a neighbours or friends DVD player?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#6 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 16 December 2011 - 11:26 AM, said:

What make of DVD was used to burn the project? Did he use a RW DVD (rewritable) and your DVD player may not be able to play them.
Is there any error message for the DVD that does not play?
Have you tried to play the problem DVD on a neighbours or friends DVD player?

The DVD is Sony DVD +R 16x. I don't think it is the DVD type issue. We have other video using the same DVD and they are able to play on the same player.

We have three different DVD players, two blueray and one is buildin with the TV (very old). None of them can play this mysterious DVD.

My dad burned two, one for us and one for himself to keep. We thought the disc might have defect, so we swop with him. The result is the same.

I think it must be some format or setting is different in this one. I could not figure out what is it as we don't have the orginial Roxio project anymore.

#7 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

View PostJanna, on 16 December 2011 - 01:22 PM, said:

The DVD is Sony DVD +R 16x. I don't think it is the DVD type issue. We have other video using the same DVD and they are able to play on the same player.

We have three different DVD players, two blueray and one is buildin with the TV (very old). None of them can play this mysterious DVD.

My dad burned two, one for us and one for himself to keep. We thought the disc might have defect, so we swop with him. The result is the same.

I think it must be some format or setting is different in this one. I could not figure out what is it as we don't have the orginial Roxio project anymore.

Open C2011, tools, get disc information, and put that mysterious DVD in a drive.

Grab a screen cap and post a attachment here so we can see the disc info.

Attached File  DiscInfo.jpg   148.83K   0 downloads

Attached File  DiscInfo1.jpg   155.06K   0 downloads
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#8 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

Thank you for the instruction. Here is the DVD info.

Attached Files

#9 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

I think it's a DVD+R BookType BitSetting , causing the problem.

I would try this, download the free 'ImgBurn Current version: 2.5.3.0 (5,262 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application'. Here>   http://imgburn.com/i...hp?act=download

Install the program and use this to rip your DVD back to the hard drive.

Attached File  IM1.jpg   157.85K   0 downloads

Attached File  Im2.jpg   111.99K   0 downloads

Then follow the screen shots to burn back the image file to a DVD+R disc.

Imgburn should default your DVD+R disc BookType BitSetting it to DVD-Rom.

In the future you could try a DVD-R and the players should play them.

Roxio disc info won't show want we want to do, CD DVD Speed does.

Attached File  IM3.jpg   144.74K   0 downloads

Attached File  IM4.jpg   193.21K   0 downloads

Attached File  IM5.jpg   189.5K   0 downloads

Attached File  IM6.jpg   117.08K   0 downloads
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#10 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

Thanks a lot! I'll give it a try.

#11 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

I did what you instructed. I brought a DVD-R to write. However, all the DVD players still complains. "This disc is not compatiable to playback."

Any idea? Thanks!

#12 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Any more suggestions? Thanks!

#13 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

View PostJanna, on 28 December 2011 - 10:32 AM, said:

Any more suggestions? Thanks!

What brand name are the -R disc's?

What x speed do you burn them at?
cd
Spoiler

#14 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

It is memorex and the speed is set to 8x.

#15 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

View PostJanna, on 28 December 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

It is memorex and the speed is set to 8x.

In get disc information they show DVD-Video closed like the +R before?

Have you tried on friends and family DVD players?
cd
Spoiler

#16 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

Yes. It is DVD-R,Closed, DVD-Video(MYDVD)
But the strange thing is the length only show "2K". However, I can play this DVD-R on computer without problem.

#17 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

View PostJanna, on 28 December 2011 - 11:27 AM, said:

Yes. It is DVD-R,Closed, DVD-Video(MYDVD)
But the strange thing is the length only show "2K". However, I can play this DVD-R on computer without problem.

Something doesn't sound right how long is the video in time?

Post a screen shot of that will you?

Your screen shot in post #8 show 1905.7 MB!
cd
Spoiler

#18 Janna

Janna

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Oops, sorry. My mistake. The size is right.

I gave the discs (the +R and the new -R) to a friend to try. He has a non brand DVD player that he brought from China. His DVD player plays both disc without problem.

#19 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:50 AM

View PostJanna, on 28 December 2011 - 04:04 PM, said:

Oops, sorry. My mistake. The size is right.

I gave the discs (the +R and the new -R) to a friend to try. He has a non brand DVD player that he brought from China. His DVD player plays both disc without problem.

Try one of those DVD Disc cleaners on your settop players. Some come with a wet alcohol like solution you put on the tiny brushes, see if that helps? If you have alot of dust and people smoke in the house it can be especially bad on the laser. If that doesn't do it and the settops play commercial bought DVD's I don't know what to tell you.

Never use the DVD Disc cleaner on  your computer optical drives!
cd
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users