20 replies to this topic

#1 BMT TX

BMT TX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:29 AM

Can an 8 GB file be burned onto multiple 4.7 GB data DVDs?  Want to use data DVDs as backup to video files.  But the 2 hour videos are larger than 4.7 GB.  I do not have blue-ray and prefer not to use DL.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,700 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:49 AM

View PostBMT TX, on 19 December 2011 - 04:29 AM, said:

Can an 8 GB file be burned onto multiple 4.7 GB data DVDs?  Want to use data DVDs as backup to video files.  But the 2 hour videos are larger than 4.7 GB.  I do not have blue-ray and prefer not to use DL.

Didn't you ask this before in a different part of the forum   (here)?  Do you now have Creator 2012?
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,076 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

View PostBMT TX, on 19 December 2011 - 04:29 AM, said:

You could split your huge file into large chunks of data with something like HJSPLIT or any of the other free file-splitters available on the Internet, and then store the chunks on single-layer DVDs having regard to the maximum size of chunk that the file system you're using allows on the DVD.

If you need to 're-constitute' one of these megafiles later, you copy all the chunks back onto your hard drive and then stitch them back together with HJSplit. In the case of a 50 GB megafile you'd need at least 100 GB free - 50 for the chunks, and 50 for the restored file.

I've named the splitter I prefer, but if you want another just do a search for "file-splitting programs" on the Internet.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#4 BMT TX

BMT TX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

View Postsknis, on 19 December 2011 - 04:49 AM, said:

Didn't you ask this before in a different part of the forum   (here)?  Do you now have Creator 2012?
My question on the VHS to DVD forum was concerning using the video DVD as backup storage (DVDs that work in a DVD player).  The question was "can a video DVD be copied back to a hard drive?"

My question on this forum is whether a data DVD can be made from 8 GB mpeg files.  The data DVD would be used as backup storage.

I'm trying to use DVDs as a backup to the mpeg files on my hard drive.  If the hard drive is lost, then use the DVDs to re-populate a new hard drive.

A guy at work suggested Zip compress the 8 GB mpeg files and then burn a data DVD disc.  But my computer gives an error message because the compressed file is too large.

#5 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

View PostBMT TX, on 22 December 2011 - 08:48 PM, said:

My question on the VHS to DVD forum was concerning using the video DVD as backup storage (DVDs that work in a DVD player).  The question was "can a video DVD be copied back to a hard drive?"

My question on this forum is whether a data DVD can be made from 8 GB mpeg files.  The data DVD would be used as backup storage.

I'm trying to use DVDs as a backup to the mpeg files on my hard drive.  If the hard drive is lost, then use the DVDs to re-populate a new hard drive.

A guy at work suggested Zip compress the 8 GB mpeg files and then burn a data DVD disc.  But my computer gives an error message because the compressed file is too large.

You won't gain anything by trying to zip-compress the video files - they are already compressed.

Why don't you simply capture in 60 minute segments. That way you don't have to foll around with 3rd party programs.

sknis's question still stands: do you have C2012? If not then your question should have been posted in the General Chat forum since your question has nothing to do with any Roxio program

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,076 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:58 AM

My suggestion will still work, unless you can't be bothered trying it.

Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

"I did it until . . "

#7 Elroy Stolle

Elroy Stolle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

do you solve it ?

#8 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostElroy Stolle, on 02 January 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

do you solve it ?

Solve what?All possible solution were given

Edited by myguggi, 02 January 2012 - 07:27 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#9 shinobi

shinobi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

FIRST TIME Posting ... hope I do it correctly?? ... Sometimes, it's the simple things that are hard .. :)
You want to make Backups of your videos in case your hard drive corrupts or something. Putting those videos on a DVD as data rather than as a playable Video DVD isn't the best way to save the videos as the size will remain the same either way and use a lot of dvds. Best way to do what you want is to get a 17 gigabyte stick from Walmart or someplace .. You can get one for 18 dollars or less. You can put the videos on it and whenever you need to replace them on your hard drive just put the stick back into the usb port and open it in Windows explorer where you can drag them back off the stick and into your computer. An even better solution for video backup is to get another hard drive just for that purpose. I got a 500 gig drive for 50 bucks at Walmart and put all my backup videos on it and then unplugged it from the computer. Next time my computer gets corrupt all I have to do after fixing it is plug that *extra* hard drive back in and there are all my videos.

Edited by shinobi, 28 January 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,100 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

View Postshinobi, on 28 January 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

FIRST TIME Posting ... hope I do it correctly?? ... Sometimes, it's the simple things that are hard .. :)
You want to make Backups of your videos in case your hard drive corrupts or something. Putting those videos on a DVD as data rather than as a playable Video DVD isn't the best way to save the videos as the size will remain the same either way and use a lot of dvds. Best way to do what you want is to get a 17 gigabyte stick from Walmart or someplace .. You can get one for 18 dollars or less. You can put the videos on it and whenever you need to replace them on your hard drive just put the stick back into the usb port and open it in Windows explorer where you can drag them back off the stick and into your computer. An even better solution for video backup is to get another hard drive just for that purpose. I got a 500 gig drive for 50 bucks at Walmart and put all my backup videos on it and then unplugged it from the computer. Next time my computer gets corrupt all I have to do after fixing it is plug that *extra* hard drive back in and there are all my videos.
That is another way but not necessarily the best...

Optical Media is, for all practical purposes, premanent...

The "sticks" you refer to require a charge in order to retain the data. Now they are long lived between uses, but can deteriorate and are susceptible to static charges. The cards only come in even GB sizes with 16 GB from $20 for No Name to $50 for good brand name. 32 GB cards are more... (SOURCE)

A DVD Movie is compressed, whereas the raw capture is not, lending itself to better quality potential ;)

Your suggestion is not a bad one, just needs some qualifiers :lol: Not at all bad for a 'first post', just don't be so shy with the Carrage Return - no extra charge for the lines you use ;)
Posted Image

#11 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,076 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 28 January 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

That is another way but not necessarily the best...

Perhaps not as "premanent" as some people think. While the Optical Storage Technology Association (OSTA) has published longevity estimates by manufacturers of up to 5-10 years for unrecorded CDs and 30-100 years for recorded DVD+/-Rs, the report of the "NIST/LoC Optical Media Longevity Study" [1] said that while virtually all CD-Rs tested gave an estimated life expectancy of >15 years, "Only 47 percent of the recordable DVDs tested indicated an estimated life expectancy beyond 15 years. Some had a predicted life expectancy as short as 1.9 years."

Given those figures, Shinobi's suggestion takes on renewed vigor, and if one is using optical media one should perhaps stick to CDs with their life expectancy greater than 15 years.

Regards,
Brendon

[1] Olson, Nels and Zheng, Jian. "NIST/LoC Final Report to ODAT." Presentation to the 30 January 2007 meeting of the Government Information Preservation Working Group (GIPWoG).

"I did it until . . "

#12 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,100 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:42 AM

But without knowing the "life expectancy" of memory cards, preferably by the the same testing lab, it cannot be recommended over anything :lol:

My own DVD's are reaching 10 years and some of my CD's are celebrating their 15th birthday... (real life vs artificial lab condition)

The only absolute failures I have seen are on those that were burned using exotic burn methods ~ Win Zip, Span Disc, Backup, etc. :(

All those burned with Standard methods, have survived or given plenty of warning to be copied and burned to new media ~ These were burned as Standard Data Disc & DVD Movie.

(All of this is based on CD-R and DVD R media ~ RW's fail and should never be used!!!)

I don't have too many CD-R's of old but 200+ DVD's burned from 10 years ago is a pretty solid base!

I still have 10 DVD disc's (5 double sided) from the original cakes I bought in 2002 (cdanteek will love these :lol: ):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:LD]
Disc & Book Type :       [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name :      [Lead Data Inc.]
Manufacturer ID :        [LD]
Blank Disc Capacity :    [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

And I have some SmartMedia memory cards going back 9 years... none have failed but I can't really check contents as they 'recharge' anytime you put them in a Reader :(

I think the short life claims by labs such as these have already been debunked in the real world by the complete lack of postings by users who need help recovering their failed disc :huh:  There just not there...

Wasn't there a Meteorologist who wrote a paper explaining why it was impossible for a Hurricane to be in the Gulf of Mexico...
Posted Image

#13 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,076 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 29 January 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

I think the short life claims by labs such as these have already been debunked in the real world by the complete lack of postings by users who need help recovering their failed disc :huh:  There just not there...
Accuracy of laboratory studies done to ISO 18927:2002 can hardly be considered 'debunked' by a lack of postings on a bulletin board by people who hope gurus can magically fix their failed discs.

In the real world I've personally dealt with numerous recorded DVDs which have failed after a couple of years of careful storage. Your own discs which gave 'plenty of warning to be copied' ultimately failed. Remember, if all the data on a disc cannot be retrieved without loss, the disc has failed.

I'm not asking you or the other readers here to believe any particular set of figures from the wildly varying estimates that are bruited round the market. The point I'm making is that while the true life expectancy of optical media is unknown [and perhaps unknowable] it is definitely not "permanent" and in many cases is way shorter than people think.

Regards,
Brendon

"I did it until . . "

#14 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,100 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

These would be the same ones that assured everyone that the speed of sound could not be exceeded until Chuck Yeager did it??? Or that a Gorilla did not exist? Or... the list goes on.

Bad Science is still just bad science even when it is published on the web :lol:

I'll take reality over theory every time :lol:

Do you have anything that indicates these memory cards have any life span?

Otherwise it is just something that we do not see eye to eye on ;) I can live with that.
Posted Image

#15 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,437 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 28 January 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

Jim, you know Roxio experienced failure with installation disc's this year failing due to fact that the installation disc was a burned disc instead of a pressed disc!

http://forums.suppor...post__p__395897

I would love to have one of those failing burned installation disc's and show you the pretty colored graph it would make!   :lol:

Fact, media will fail especially poor media.

These are Media ID MCC 003 a Verbatim media code faked or given with permission to CMC Magnetics Corporation that made the TDK DVD +R disc's I bought back in 2003/2004 at Staples. Most failed in 3 to 5 years I bought a 100.. :rolleyes:

Back then, 2003/2004 I also experimented with K-Hypermedia DVD media probably made by CMC Magnetics Corporation. I burned 30 to 40 and not one has failed to date. Talk about quality control!

I might add some DVD settop players will play a failing disc or a disc with high PI Errors and PI Failures better than other players. A DVD PC drive/burner with also play some disc's with high PI Errors and PI Failures than most settop players will.

http://www.cmcdisc.com/index.htm

Attached File  loosedata.png   53.2K   0 downloads

Attached File  BENQ____DVD_DD_DW1640_BSRB_01-June-2008_10_38.png   45.33K   0 downloads
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#16 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,100 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hug your numbers, if it gives you comfort...

We have had this conversation before... nothing has changed ;)
Posted Image

#17 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,437 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 29 January 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

Hug your numbers, if it gives you comfort...

We have had this conversation before... nothing has changed ;)

Likewise, hug your "Optical Media is, for all practical purposes, premanent..." if it gives you comfort! :lol:
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#18 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,076 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 29 January 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

I'll take reality over theory every time :lol:

Do you have anything that indicates these memory cards have any life span?

Otherwise it is just something that we do not see eye to eye on ;) I can live with that.
I wasn't talking about memory cards, Jim. I was debating your statement that

The reality as I showed, is that optical media is NOT, for all practical purposes, permanent.

Do we still differ on that statement?

Regards,
Brendon

"I did it until . . "

#19 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,100 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

No... not going to be drawn into some sort of a word picking contest :lol:

We will agree to disagree on this, as we did before, and leave it at that rather than carry this debate to death's door :lol:  :D  :lol:
Posted Image

#20 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,076 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

Shinobi,

Thank you very much for your first post.

It sparked an interesting look into the value of fondly cherished beliefs vs. observed facts in real life.

:lol:

Regards,
Brendon

"I did it until . . "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users