• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PhotoGirl426

PhotoGirl426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

I am a newbie to Roxio Creator 2011 Special Edition.  I received it last year and finally got it installed on my computer (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, Intel Core i5, 2.53 GHz with 6GB RAM).  I did install the Service Pack update from September 2010.

I am converting VHS and Hi-8 home movies to DVD.  I am importing the movies using the Roxio Video Capture USB with no issues (no single clip is longer than 30 minutes).  In Roxio Videowave (Edit Video - Advanced) I can combine different clips together, add color panels, text, trim and am able to save a project (projects are less than 60 minutes in length).  I was even able to output my first project to Roxio MyDVD, where I changed the menu style, titles and even added chapters.  I was able to burn it to a DVD which plays correctly in my DVD player.  I started my second project (a 50th anniversary party) in Roxio Videowave (Edit-Video-Advanced) and saved it successfully.  I was able to output it to MyDVD, change the menu style and titles.  I previewed the project with no issues and decided that I wanted to create some chapters because although it is all the same party, there are different points that I wanted to access easily through chapters.  I added chapters (which I selected my self rather than have the program do it), just like in my first project.  I previewed the production and MyDVD freezes when it tries to access the chapter menu.

I deleted the production and tried creating a new production and importing the project (rather than output to MyDVD).  I deleted everything and recreated the project and production.  All is fine with MyDVD until I add chapters to a production.  It freezes if I try to preview the production.  It freezes if I try to change the chapter titles.  It freezes if I do anything AFTER adding chapters.  Without chapters, MyDVD does everything it should.  I don't have any issues with the first created production - I can preview it, I can change chapter names, etc.  I am only having issues with a newly created production in MyDVD.

I tried repairing Roxio Creator 2011 Special Edition.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it as well. What is going on?

HELP!!!!!

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,642 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

Of course that isn't the way it is supposed to work!

I know you uninstalled but it would be best to do it again only more throughly...

Do the Prep Steps to the letter!

Then start the install of the Suite, only pick Repair when it is offered.

Updates to Roxio will have to be installed again.

Try that and let us know ~ just do a simple project and test it out ;)
Posted Image

#3 PhotoGirl426

PhotoGirl426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

I had already followed the thorough prep steps when I reinstalled the first time, but I did everything again to the letter.

This time I didn't install the Roxio update (as I was recalling everything I did originally, I had created the first DVD before realizing there was a Roxio update).  However, that didn't make a difference either as MyDVD still froze after I added the chapters to the production (manually added the chapters at the exact frame I wanted them).

So, I closed down the program and decided that I would let the program choose the chapters itself.  I went back to my original project and created panels for each chapter I wanted.  I output it to MyDVD and let Roxio create the chapters at each panel.  It worked.  I could preview it, I could rename the chapters, I could do everything I needed.  (I still had not updated Roxio at this point).  I burned the DVD, but it took REALLY long - almost 120 minutes for 50 minutes of recording.  I don't recall my first DVD taking that long.  But it works in my DVD player, so at least that is good!

I discovered something else as I've been going back through the files.  A few of my files types are "Movie Clips" and some are "Video Clips" depending on if I used "Easy VHS to DVD" program or "Capture Video" from Roxio Creator.  My first DVD contained a Movie Clip first and then Video Clips.  My second DVD contained only Video Clips.

Now that I have a "work around" to the issue (by letting Roxio create the chapters), I am going to continue creating my DVDs.  I will update Roxio as well and hope that my work around still works!

I'll keep this topic updated with my progress.  However, if anyone runs into this same problem or finds a solution to the program of freezing when adding manual chapters, please reply!

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,642 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

Movie clips and Video clipa are exactally the same thing...

From the long render time, I would venture a guess that the quality between the clips and the output is different. That always takes longer as each frame (about 90,000 in your project) has to be manipulated and saved.

There are a couple of ways to handle chapters. This post will show you another that may be closer to what you are after - HERE
Posted Image

#5 PhotoGirl426

PhotoGirl426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the post about chapters - I am using them to break up a very long video (like a vacation), at least I know that I am using them correctly!

My work around (letting Roxio create the chapters automatically from my panels) is no longer working!  I did update Roxio with the needed update (Sept 2010 update) and I was able to create 2 more DVDs, but now again the program (MyDVD) is freezing if any chapters are added to the production!  I am not having any issues with the transferring of movies from VHS/Camera to a digital file, nor am I having any issues with "Edit Video - Advanced" - only when I try to create a production for burning on a DVD.

As impressed I am with the Roxio Creator 2011 program, this is really getting annoying and is beginning to change my mind.  I am going to go back to transferring movies to digital files and will try again tomorrow to create DVDs, but if I continue to run into problems, I am going to find another program to create the final DVD.

#6 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,642 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:33 AM

Nuts! I missed your reference to 'using the Panels' to create Chapters in Post 3... :angry:

No it does not work and has been reported! It is very easy to do the same thing in VideoWave with Markers, then convert the Markers in MyDVD to Chapters ;)
Posted Image

#7 PhotoGirl426

PhotoGirl426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:13 AM

Okay, thanks.  I'll use markers instead.  I'm still confused why the manual chapters doesn't work as it did for me the first time.  I couldn't find any info on the chapters not working, that's why I started a new topic - sorry!  Must not have looked far enough back in my search.  Oh well, at least I have another work around.  Thanks for your help.

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,642 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

Not a problem!

Yes the Manual selection of Chapters should work :huh:

I can only suggest repeating the Prep~Repair~Update as I outlined in Post #2 ;)

It is a busy time, perhaps something to do when it quites down :lol:
Posted Image

#9 PhotoGirl426

PhotoGirl426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:28 AM

Good morning!  I can no longer create any DVD with chapters.  I can't create them manually.  I can't use markers to create them.  I can't use panels to create them.  I can't even create them by time (i.e., every 15 minutes).  If any chapters are added to MyDVD production, the program freezes and I have to force the shut down of the program.

PLEASE HELP!  I really don't want to create DVDs that are an hour long with no chapters!

I have done the prep steps, I have repaired, uninstalled, re-installed, updated and everything I am suppose to do - multiple times.  Everything except chapters works.  And I can open my previously created DVD files and use those (chapters and all).  It's only new productions that are having the issue.  And they only have the issue when I add chapters. What is going on?

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,642 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:01 AM

Follow Post #2 :(

Thinking that it needs to work again and if it fails again we have to look at your AV... :glare:

I have PC's that are still running Creator 2011 since it was released in Aug 2010! If it were a program problem, it would have showed up by now.
Posted Image

#11 PhotoGirl426

PhotoGirl426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

I turned off my computer and tried again the next day.  Now it's working again.  I don't get it, but I haven't had any problems today, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to work! I've created at least 3 more DVDs with no problems.

What do you mean by "look at your AV"....?

Thanks!

#12 PhotoGirl426

PhotoGirl426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

I should have never said everything was going fine.....because now it isn't again!  The only thing that has changed in the last 4 hours since I created my last DVD is that I updated iTunes.  I don't have any other programs running when I use Roxio Creator 2011.  I did notice that when creating a production in "Edit Video - Advanced" things were moving really slowly tonight, but I was still able to create markers and output to MyDVD, but as soon as I converted the markers to chapters and tried to preview the production, the MyDVD program froze.  It's like the program will only let me create only a few DVDs in a day and then it decides no more!  

What else can I do?  Is there something else on my computer that is preventing this program from working correctly?  I have so many DVDs that I need to create....please please please give me something other than the prep steps to do - I have done them over and over already and it doesn't matter!

Thanks again for ANY suggestions!

Edited by PhotoGirl426, 27 December 2011 - 08:44 PM.

#13 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,642 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:05 AM

You seem to indicate your PC is slowing down over time...

Your specs for the PC (first post) seem OK. What is your HDD Free Space?

I would suggest you make sure you have Defrag set to once a week:

Help and Support:

Schedule Disk:
Attached File  Defrag 1.jpg   71.5K   0 downloads

Open Fragmenter:
Attached File  Defrag 2.jpg   91.83K   0 downloads

Configure Schedule and Disks:
Attached File  Defrag 3.jpg   80.09K   0 downloads

Attached File  Defrag 4.jpg   32.85K   0 downloads

Likewise, always prudent to reboot before starting an editing project AND sometimes before rendering too ;)
Posted Image

#14 PhotoGirl426

PhotoGirl426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already do that.  I also regularly clean up my hard disk of any unnecessary files (Free up Disk Space).  So that isn't the issue either.  In addition, once I finish a DVD, I am moving all the files to an external hard drive to keep my computer hard drive from bogging down.  (And I am redirecting all the connections of the files within the productions to the new file locations).  I really appreciate the time and suggestions you have given.  Something tells me it is another program on my computer that is causing the issue, but I'm not sure which one.  Are there any programs that are known to conflict with Roxio Creator 2011?
I'll give it the old college try again today and hope for the best!  Happy New Year!

#15 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,642 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

I feel like I am being drip fed...

Attached File  Drip Feed.jpg   33.98K   0 downloads

:lol:  :D  :lol:

No "known program" cause interference :glare:  But we have seen Anti Virus, particularly the Reg Cleaners, can destroy needed settings. (I haven't used a Reg Cleaner since having to re-install Win 95 :lol: )

If you 'fix' it and it keeps breaking, that is what you want to look at!

I have a posting on Planning & Portability, Here, that may be of use to you for your Projects.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users