• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pmoore603

pmoore603

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

I created 6 shorts using videowave, a separate production for each.  The productions each consist of a couple dozen video clips, some overlaid audio and text as well.  I output the projects as 6 mpg files.  The productions all format properly for 16:9 when viewed on the computer.  Then, I created a mydvd project, also 16:9, and dragged in each mpg.  The preview project works at 16:9.

I get different results with the burned dvd however:

- Played from my computer, aspect ratio is correct at 16:9 for everything.
- played from my dvd player on a widescreen tv, aspect ratio is 4:3.
- played from a PS3 on a 4:3 tv, aspect ratio is 4:3.

I would have expected the production to have black bars on the top and bottom for a 4:3 destination.  Any thoughts?

#2 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,222 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

View PostPeter Moore, on 28 December 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

I created 6 shorts using videowave, a separate production for each.  The productions each consist of a couple dozen video clips, some overlaid audio and text as well.  I output the projects as 6 mpg files.  The productions all format properly for 16:9 when viewed on the computer.  Then, I created a mydvd project, also 16:9, and dragged in each mpg.  The preview project works at 16:9.

I would have expected the production to have black bars on the top and bottom for a 4:3 destination.  Any thoughts?

How have you got the DVD player hooked up your TV?. You may have to change the settings on your TV input (HDMI/Component/Composite).

Edited by ogdens, 28 December 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#3 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

View PostPeter Moore, on 28 December 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

If the DVD plays correctly on your computer then the software worked correctly. The problem may well be in your DVD player and/or TV setup.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#4 pmoore603

pmoore603

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

View Postogdens, on 28 December 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

How have you got the DVD player hooked up your TV?. You may have to change the settings on your TV input (HDMI/Component/Composite).
It's component.  I also tried HDMI (only just noticed today that it has an HDMI output, LOL).  Same behavior either way.

View Postmyguggi, on 28 December 2011 - 03:22 PM, said:

If the DVD plays correctly on your computer then the software worked correctly. The problem may well be in your DVD player and/or TV setup.
That's what I was wondering.  Could it be a lousy DVD player?  I'm pretty sure I have viewed widescreen movie DVD's on it before though...

#5 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

View Postpmoore603, on 28 December 2011 - 05:37 PM, said:

It's component.  I also tried HDMI (only just noticed today that it has an HDMI output, LOL).  Same behavior either way.

That's what I was wondering.  Could it be a lousy DVD player?  I'm pretty sure I have viewed widescreen movie DVD's on it before though...

It is most likely in the setup of your TV and/or DVD player.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
SoundMAX Digital Audio
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit

#6 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,093 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:17 AM

Most likely your Player settings, you will have to look deep into its' menu to find them ;)

In VideoWave (your editor) you must set what the Project will be BEFORE you start!

You can select 1 of 2 way for how it will handle non-widescreen clips when added. This is both a global setting (File Preferences) as well as an individual clip (right click) adjustment you can make on the fly.

In MyDVD it simple does whatever the source is and the only choice is in a DVD Project concerning How The MENU will be (4:3 or 16:9)...

If your VideoWave Project was Widescreen, MyDVD will consider it a widescreen source.

Of course ALL HD Project are automatically widescreen but the Source files must be widescreen as well as there is no Global setting in MyDVD.
Posted Image

#7 Chayla

Chayla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

View Postpmoore603, on 28 December 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

#8 Chayla

Chayla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

I get the same problems with my older Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning program. It shows it's set to record as 16:9 but when I play it back on a DVD player its 4:3. At other times it actually does record as 16:9, but you never know when that will be. I can't tell you how many DVDs I've wasted trying to get a proper format recording. Roxio is junk. I'm going to look on the net for something else.

#9 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostChayla, on 29 March 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

I get the same problems with my older Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning program. It shows it's set to record as 16:9 but when I play it back on a DVD player its 4:3. At other times it actually does record as 16:9, but you never know when that will be. I can't tell you how many DVDs I've wasted trying to get a proper format recording. Roxio is junk. I'm going to look on the net for something else.

Did you actually read the posts in this thread before starting your silly rant. You can search the net all you want you want get any different results.
If your use the correct source, have the correct settings the program works correctly.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,093 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostChayla, on 29 March 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

Apples to Oranges! That is a completely different program and very limited by its' design!

You can only set the ratio of the MENU...

Attached File  Image1.jpg   134.87K   0 downloads

The 'Content' of the project will remain in the aspect ration that it was created in :huh:

There is NO provision to change the aspect ration of the pictures or video you add as there is in the full version.

It is little things like this that make up the difference between a $30 program and a $100 full Suite! ;)

You did mention Capture???  :glare:  If you are using the Roxio Video Capture Device USB, it can only capture as 4:3... To "Capture" in 16:9, you can only do that with a Firewire connection.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users