Roxio Community

Can I Install Ecdc 5.3.5.10 In Windows 7? If Not, What Are Ecdc Versions Emulating Ecdc 5.3.5.10 Which Can Be Installed In Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SW1

SW1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

MOTIVATION FOR QUESTIONS BELOW:[/b]  I am planning to buy a “Windows 7” new computer because my WinXP computer is failing. However, if I cannot accomplish the following goals, I will have to continue with my failing WinXP computer somehow. I love “ECDC 5.3.5.10” and “ECDC 4”.  I have hundreds of “*.jwl” files for the ROUND CD LABELS created from “ECDC 4” and “ECDC 5” with the “Music Audio” theme which I still want to use and have not yet printed the labels and attached them to most of my CDs. I contacted Roxio and they indicated that “Creator 2012” will pull in these “*.jwl” files created by “ECDC 4” and “ECDC 5”, but will NOT pull in the “Music Audio” theme. Also, I wonder if “Creator 2012” will even pull in the “*.jwl” files with the correct CD label fonts, alignment, etc. Also, I am not sure if “Creator 2012” has a “CD Stomper” label template for the “CD Stomper” blank labels I am using. Or, does “Creator 2012” even have an excellent “CD label” feature which will go to “Gracenote” to automatically pull in the “Title, Track Name, and Times”. Therefore, I would like to continue to use “ECDC 5.3.5.10”.  In addition, “ECDC 5.3.5.10” has a template for “CD STOMPER” labels which I use and which print perfectly from “ECDC 5.3.5.10” Here are my questions.

#1: HOW CAN I INSTALL ECDC 5.3.5.10 on WINDOWS 7? The procedure for my Windows XP Pro OS install was (1) Install “ECDC 5 Platinum”, (2) installed the 18MB “5.3.5.10_plt_enu.exe” file which updated “ECDC 5 Platinum” to version “5.3.5.10, then (3) installed “driveup5.3.5.v.exe” file for the driver updates.  I deleted the “DirectCD” install during “Step 1” above because it seemed to cause problems.  
--CAN I USE THIS SAME ABOVE PROCEDURE IN “WINDOWS 7”? I would like to have ALL of the functions of “ECDC 5.3.5.10” in Windows 7” in addition to especially having the “Label Creator” function.  
--Since I do not yet have the new computer, IS THERE A “DRIVER UPDATE” needed for whatever CD/DVD driver comes with the new computer (probably HP with “Super Multi CD/DVD Writer”).
--For the “Label Creation” function, can I simply “copy” and “paste” existing “WinXP” folders/files into a “Window 7” location? I noticed some postings which talked about simply copying files from my Windows XP Pro system to my Windows 7 system (yet to be purchased).  The existing file paths on my WinXP system for the “ECDC 5.3.5.10” are:
--C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\Label Creator\Style Files
--C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\Label Creator\Page Files
--C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\Label Creator\CDlabel cnt
--C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\Label Creator\CDlabel.exe
--C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\Label Creator\CDlabel.hlp

[b]#2:  IF “ECDC 5.3.5.10 cannot be installed in Windows 7, is there any version of ECDC above “ECDC 5” but lower than “Creator 2012” which will load easily in “Windows 7” and which will exactly emulate “ECDC 5.3.5.10”
with ALL functions of “ECDC 5.3.5.10” and especially pull in my hundreds of existing “*.jwl” files, has a “CD Stomper” template to print those files to “CD Stomper” blank labels, create new labels with the “Music Audio” theme, and which also goes out to “Gracenote” (or similar database) and pulls in the “Contents (Title, Track name, times) of CDs…so that I can create and print NEW CD ROUND labels also PRINT use my hundreds of existing “*.jwl” labels with no problem?

Edited by SW1, 28 December 2011 - 09:28 PM.

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,207 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:37 AM

View PostSW1, on 28 December 2011 - 09:18 PM, said:

#1: HOW CAN I INSTALL ECDC 5.3.5.10 on WINDOWS 7?

You Can't. It's incompatible with Windows 7.

--Since I do not yet have the new computer, IS THERE A “DRIVER UPDATE” needed for whatever CD/DVD driver comes with the new computer (probably HP with “Super Multi CD/DVD Writer”).

No, there are no driver updates which will allow ECDC 5 to run under Windows 7. It is incompatible with Windows 7

--For the “Label Creation” function, can I simply “copy” and “paste” existing “WinXP” folders/files into a “Window 7” location? I noticed some postings which talked about simply copying files from my Windows XP Pro system to my Windows 7 system (yet to be purchased).

Yes you can. I have Label Creator 5 running happily under Windows 7. The Internet lookup doesn't work properly (see below), but it's sufficient to load and print existing ECDC 5 .JWL files.
Trying it just now and asking it to list "Contents" of an audio CD, it got track lengths from the CD but didn't get the track names from the Internet. You'll need to add them manually.

To run Label Creator 5, just copy the Label Creator directory along with its Style Files and Page Files directory to a hard drive, and make a desktop shortcut to CDLabel.exe

[b]#2:  IF “ECDC 5.3.5.10 cannot be installed in Windows 7, is there any version of ECDC above “ECDC 5” but lower than “Creator 2012” which will load easily in “Windows 7” and which will exactly emulate “ECDC 5.3.5.10” with ALL functions of “ECDC 5.3.5.10” and especially pull in my hundreds of existing “*.jwl” files, has a “CD Stomper” template to print those files to “CD Stomper” blank labels, create new labels with the “Music Audio” theme, and which also goes out to “Gracenote” (or similar database) and pulls in the “Contents (Title, Track name, times) of CDs…so that I can create and print NEW CD ROUND labels also PRINT use my hundreds of existing “*.jwl” labels with no problem?

No, there isn't. The first version which runs properly in Windows 7 is Creator 2010, and there's no compatibility between ECDC 5 .JWL files and anything above Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 since way back in 2003.

You could consider using Label Creator 5 as described for your existing .JWL files, and a current version such as one of the Creator 2012 labelers [there's two] for your new labels. If you buy Creator 2012 directly from Roxio you can return it within 30 days if it's not satisfactory for you.

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#3 SW1

SW1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hi Brendon,

MANY, MANY THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS AND CONTINUED HELP.

The reason I love ECDC 5 is that when the CD "Title", "Track Names" and "Track Times" are captured via CDDB/Gracenote, this information is "automatically" added to the "round" CD Label area...saving time manually adding that information. Then, I only change the font size and clean up the "layout" on the CD label.

Therefore, to keep this capability, I have the following follow-up questions.

1. Will ECDC  5.3.5.10 install (per my procedures above) on an OLD "Windows ME" operating system computer?  I presently have ECDC 5.3.5.10 installed on a WinXP Pro computer. In worst case, I will get rid of theWinXP computer and keep the WinME very old computer just for ECDC round CD labels I have created. I already have ECDC 4 installed on that same WinME computer.

2. Will all ECDC (or Creator) versions later than ECDC 5 download CD "Title", "Track Names" and "Times" ....AND....copy that information to the '"round" CD Label area....as is done in ECDC 5...and also have a "printing template" for "CD Stomper" blank CD label sheets?

For example, Walmart sells "Easy CD and DVD Burning 2011" for $27.88...less expensive than "Creator 2012".
http://www.walmart.c...indingMethod=rr

3. Does "Easy CD and DVD Burning 2011" install and run on Windows 7?

4. Will "Easy CD and DVD Burning 2011" download CD "Title", "Track Names" and "Track Times" like ECDC Creator and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) copy that information to the "round" "CD Label area?  Does "Easy Cd and DVD Burning 2011" software also have templates for "CD Stomper" blank label sheets (ALSO IMPORTANT TO ME)?  My thinking here is that I just purchase "Easy CD and DVD Burning 2011" and re-do all of my labels over time in an updated program so I do not have to keep older computers. The only thing I did in ECDC 5 in the "CD Label" area was to change font size and do a nice layout of the tracks, etc.  I never did add any pictures, etc.

AGAIN, MANY, MANY, MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

#4 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,207 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

View PostSW1, on 29 December 2011 - 05:05 PM, said:

1. Will ECDC  5.3.5.10 install (per my procedures above) on an OLD "Windows ME" operating system computer?

I don't know. I avoided Windows ME like the plague, and was later very happy I had done so. I think it should install on ME, but I don't have ME to try it out.

2. Will all ECDC (or Creator) versions later than ECDC 5 download CD "Title", "Track Names" and "Times" ....AND....copy that information to the '"round" CD Label area....as is done in ECDC 5...and also have a "printing template" for "CD Stomper" blank CD label sheets?

Only full Creator versions which have the Roxio Label Creator will download information from the Internet for you. Cut-down, reduced-function, crippled, cheap, and/or OEM versions such as "Easy CD and DVD Burning" have only an "Express Labeler" [a version of the 'Sure-Thing Express Labeler'] which won't do what you want.

3. Does "Easy CD and DVD Burning 2011" install and run on Windows 7?

Its advertising says it will.

4. Will "Easy CD and DVD Burning 2011" download CD "Title", "Track Names" and "Track Times" like ECDC Creator

No, sorry but it won't. You need a full version with the proper Roxio Label Creator for that.

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users