44 replies to this topic

#1 Myrna Larson

Myrna Larson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

I can't copy a CD, data or audio, with Creator 2012. I start the copy, then after a few seconds I get an error message which tells me the copy failed and to insert a new disc. I'll post the details of that if it will help. I can CREATE a CD or DVD from audio files on the hard drive.

I am running Windows 7, 64-bit. I have 2 drives. Using other programs, one drive will read everything (including Blu-ray) and write all except Blu-ray. The other will read and write all discs, including Blu-ray.

I received a copy of Creator Premier Blu-ray, v 10.3, from 2007, with my Dell computer. That program can copy CDs and DVDs without any problems.

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,983 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

View PostMyrna Larson, on 29 December 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

I can't copy a CD, data or audio, with Creator 2012. I start the copy, then after a few seconds I get an error message which tells me the copy failed and to insert a new disc. I'll post the details of that if it will help. I can CREATE a CD or DVD from audio files on the hard drive.

I am running Windows 7, 64-bit. I have 2 drives. Using other programs, one drive will read everything (including Blu-ray) and write all except Blu-ray. The other will read and write all discs, including Blu-ray.

I received a copy of Creator Premier Blu-ray, v 10.3, from 2007, with my Dell computer. That program can copy CDs and DVDs without any problems.

It is the details that are important. All you have said in your post is " I can't copy" without any explanation at all on how you are trying to do the copy. THere are several ways to copy in the C2012 package.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,381,913 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

View PostMyrna Larson, on 29 December 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

I can't copy a CD, data or audio, with Creator 2012. I start the copy, then after a few seconds I get an error message which tells me the copy failed and to insert a new disc. I'll post the details of that if it will help.

Yes please.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windws XP, 7, and 8

So, what happens now?

#4 Myrna Larson

Myrna Larson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 29 December 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

It is the details that are important. All you have said in your post is " I can't copy" without any explanation at all on how you are trying to do the copy. THere are several ways to copy in the C2012 package.

Here are the details of my hardware: Dell XPS-9100 from Sep 2010, 12 gig of memory, 2-1.5 terabyte drives, Windows 7-64 bit with Service Pack 1.

In Creator 2012 I start from the Home screen, then click Copy Disc. This takes me to the Music-Audio tab. There I click on Copy Disc (listed under Create).

This is the copy set-up:
Source: TSST corp DVDRW-DL (Drive E:) contains a commercial audio CD. The screen describes it as CD-ROM, Closed, Multisession, Audio (Unknown Album, 01:08:55). (Note that Creator 10.3 Premier from 2007 retrieves the correct information from GraceNote. Creator 2012 doesn't.)

Destination: HL-DT-ST BD-ROM (Drive F) contains a blank CD-R, capacity 700 meg, speed rating is at least 40x, but I slowed the write speed to 24x).

After I click the Burn button, there is a delay of about 30 seconds. Then I see this message:
  "There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try again by clicking the Retry button. You will need another blank disc ready."
I click the "Show Advanced Info" button, and I see this:
  "Sense: 05 ASC: 30 ASCQ:02 (Command AD)"
This is followed by a list of the versions of the various program components:
  Px.dll, PxAFS.DLL, PxMas.dll, PxSFS.DLL, and PxWave.dll are all 4.30.13.0; pxdrv.dll is 1.02.61a, pxwma.dll is 1,0,0,3

In fact the disc has not been written to. I can put it back in the drive and it's shown as a blank CD-R.

The same sequence, and the same set of messages, happen when I try to copy from Drive F to Drive E. And it happens with ALL CDs. If I am remembering correctly, I can't copy a data CD, either.

I can rip the tracks from the CD using either drive, and then create a new audio CD from those ripped tracks, writing with either drive, all without problems. In other words, Creator 2012 can read from either drive and it can write to either drive, but it can't do that via the COPY DISK function. I can also write files to DVD+R discs without problems.

I can copy discs (CDs and DVDs) with either drive in Creator 10.3 Premier without any problems.

Edited by Myrna Larson, 02 January 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#5 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,875 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

Creator 2012 does not use GraceNotes.  It uses the Rovi version.   Do you have the option enabled from the menu on the Home page?

From the sense code, it seems that your burner doesn't like the CD you are using.   Are you using RW discs?  What brand?  Can you try another that is not RW and from a different manufacturer?

Also try reading from the BR drive and burning to the DVD/CD drive.

Sense codes are sent by your burner to the program.  The program just tries to use the burner  information to burn the discs.

Edited by sknis, 02 January 2012 - 03:18 PM.

PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#6 Myrna Larson

Myrna Larson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

View Postsknis, on 02 January 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

Creator 2012 does not use GraceNotes.  It uses the Rovi version.  I don't know if that is causing the issue>

Rovi has the correct information if I just rip the tracks to the hard drive, so I don't think that explains the problem with copying, do you?

#7 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,875 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostMyrna Larson, on 02 January 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

Rovi has the correct information if I just rip the tracks to the hard drive, so I don't think that explains the problem with copying, do you?

See my edited post above.  I didn't expect that your would read my initial response so quickly. Posted Image
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#8 Myrna Larson

Myrna Larson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

View Postsknis, on 02 January 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

Creator 2012 does not use GraceNotes.  It uses the Rovi version.   Do you have the option enabled from the menu on the Home page?

From the sense code, it seems that your burner doesn't like the CD you are using.   Are you using RW discs?  What brand?  Can you try another that is not RW and from a different manufacturer?

Also try reading from the BR drive and burning to the DVD/CD drive.

Sense codes are sent by your burner to the program.  The program just tries to use the burner  information to burn the discs.

re 'the Rovi option', I'm not sure which menu you are referring to. Under Tools/Preferences, 2 items are NOT selected: display product information and offers from ROXIO, and enable animations. The others are all selected, and none mentions ROVI or 'get information from the internet', etc. BUT... when ripping tracks, I see the correct information for the disc name, track names, etc, to Rovi would seem to be enabled.

As I said, the destination disc is a CD-R. The brand is Sony. Remember, I can write to this disc if I rip the tracks to the hard drive first and then put them on the CD via Create Music Disc projects. In fact I just did exactly that, without problems. I don't use RW discs at all.

I have also tried copying from drive F to drive E (reversing them as you suggested), and that doesn't work either. I thought I said this in the previous post, but maybe not.

Edited by Myrna Larson, 02 January 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#9 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,727 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

5 / 30 / 02 CANNOT READ MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT

Do the same disc's work with Creator 10.3 Premier?

Is Creator 10.3 Premier and C2012 on the same PC?
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#10 Myrna Larson

Myrna Larson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 02 January 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Do the same disc's work with Creator 10.3 Premier?

Is Creator 10.3 Premier and C2012 on the same PC?

Yes to both questions.

Update: I just now tried to copy a commercial audio CD from drive E to drive F. I did this by clicking 'Copy a disc' from the Home page. It didn't work (same error as before -- see details above). Without changing any of the discs in the drives, I went to Music/Audio/Rip and successfully ripped all tracks to my hard drive. Note that the disc and tracks were identified correctly. Then I went back to the Home page and selected Create Music Disc Projects. From the next screen I said to create an audio CD. I added the tracks, set the gaps between tracks, and SUCCESSFULLY burned the CD -- the exact same physical CD that the Copy Disk module can't handle.

Repeating: both drives can read commercial audio CDs; both drives can write files from the hard drive to Sony CD-Rs. But Copy Disc can't copy drive E to the same type of blank CD in drive F or from drive F to drive E. My conclusion is that this is a bug in the Copy Disc module.

Edited by Myrna Larson, 02 January 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#11 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,727 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Does your copy disc show this?

Attached File  3.jpg   53.92K   2 downloads
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#12 Myrna Larson

Myrna Larson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 02 January 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Does your copy disc show this?

Attachment 3.jpg

No, it doesn't, because the source and destination drives are not the same. I'm copying either from E to F or from F to E. As I think I said before, the difference between the 2 drives is that E and READ (but not write) Blu-Ray discs, while F can READ and WRITE Blu-ray.

I don't see anything in the documentation that says you can't read from one drive and write to a different one. Is that the case? It isn't in my 2007 program, Roxio Creater version 10.3. Thank heavens I didn't uninstall the old program !!! It works!

Edited by Myrna Larson, 02 January 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#13 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,727 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

I don't see anything in the documentation that says you can't read from one drive and write to a different one. Is that the case?

Sorry I didn't notice I had the same drive showing!

You should be able to do any combination.

Attached File  6.jpg   56.74K   0 downloads
cd
Spoiler

#14 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,381,913 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Myrna,

In post #10 you told Cdanteek that the same discs work with Creator 10.3 Premier.

So your Creator Premier Blu-Ray v10.3 can copy the audio CD in one operation, from CD to CD? [without you having to rip the tracks from the source and then reassemble them for the destination?]

Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

So, what happens now?

#15 Myrna Larson

Myrna Larson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostBrendon, on 02 January 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

Myrna,

In post #10 you told Cdanteek that the same discs work with Creator 10.3 Premier.

So your Creator Premier Blu-Ray v10.3 can copy the audio CD in one operation, from CD to CD? [without you having to rip the tracks from the source and then reassemble them for the destination?]

Brendon

Yes, that's correct -- copy in a single operation.

For what it's worth, since cdanteek inadvertently showed a screen shot copying to the same drive, I tried that. After ripping the cd to a temp file on the hard drive, it asked me to put a blank CD in the drive, and lo and behold, the copy worked without errors !!!

As I said, I think this is a bug. Does anyone from Roxio 'watch' these discussions?

Edited by Myrna Larson, 02 January 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#16 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,381,913 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Thanks Myrna,

The thing which is puzzling me [and no doubt Cdanteek too] is that the disc error you're getting is a READ error from a drive, although there's no indication which drive is reporting the error. The source drive does only reads during this copy, but the destination writer has to both read from and write to the disc so the error could be coming from either drive.

The Roxio software generally calls on Windows routines for reads [why re-invent the wheel?] and does its own writes, so I wouldn't normally expect the Roxio software to be implicated in a read error. I've had no problems copying audio CDs direct from optical drive to optical drive in C2012, so if it's a bug it doesn't operate on every machine.

I was suspecting possible CD whole-disc copy protection on the source disc, but if 10.3 can copy it in one operation  then it doesn't look like copy protection.

The only other thing I can think of to try at the moment is to reverse where you were putting the discs during the unsuccessful operation. Put the blank in the TSST drive, and the source in the LG drive, and see if the system still throws the fault. It might show that one drive has a quirk, while the other doesn't.

There are still way too many question marks here to nail the cause of the problem.

Regards,
Brendon

So, what happens now?

#17 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,610 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

View PostBrendon, on 02 January 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

The only other thing I can think of to try at the moment is to reverse where you were putting the discs during the unsuccessful operation. Put the blank in the TSST drive, and the source in the LG drive, and see if the system still throws the fault. It might show that one drive has a quirk, while the other doesn't.

There are still way too many question marks here to nail the cause of the problem.

Regards,
Brendon

See the last sentence in Post #10.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#18 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,727 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

View Postgrandpabruce, on 02 January 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

See the last sentence in Post #10.

Yes I read that. Does your C2012 Copy Disc, copy a disc to disc?  

Mine does so I think it's machine specific.

It is confusing because it's a read error.

View PostMyrna Larson, on 02 January 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Yes, that's correct -- copy in a single operation.

For what it's worth, since cdanteek inadvertently showed a screen shot copying to the same drive, I tried that. After ripping the cd to a temp file on the hard drive, it asked me to put a blank CD in the drive, and lo and behold, the copy worked without errors !!!

As I said, I think this is a bug. Does anyone from Roxio 'watch' these discussions?

'ROXIO CREATOR PREMIER BLU-RAY 10.3 is Dell OEM Software' How old is this PC?

Could it affect the C2012 install? I don't know what build Dell 10.3 is built from?

Why did you buy C2012 if you had 10.3? Does C2012 give you more software than Dell OEM 10.3?

I probably would of uninstalled 10.3 before installing C2012.

If it's a bug more folks would of posted with the problem.

Have you tried running a repair on C2012? You could clean them both off the PC and reinstall C2012 as a option.
cd
Spoiler

#19 Myrna Larson

Myrna Larson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:54 AM

View Postcdanteek, on 03 January 2012 - 05:58 AM, said:

'ROXIO CREATOR PREMIER BLU-RAY 10.3 is Dell OEM Software' How old is this PC?

Could it affect the C2012 install? I don't know what build Dell 10.3 is built from?

Why did you buy C2012 if you had 10.3? Does C2012 give you more software than Dell OEM 10.3?

I probably would of uninstalled 10.3 before installing C2012.

If it's a bug more folks would of posted with the problem.

Have you tried running a repair on C2012? You could clean them both off the PC and reinstall C2012 as a option.

I just replied to this, but I don't see my post, so here it is again. Sorry if it turns out to be a duplicate.

The machine is from September 2010 (see my post #4). I was surprised that the Roxio software that accompanied it was from 2007.

Why did I upgrade? Because the incessant emails from Roxio and the pop-up messages from the old program promised me untold riches and new features. I have to admit the screens are prettier <g>. The other reason was that I was hoping C2012 would allow me to NOT install the CD Label module and its pile of junky fonts. (With the old versions (I've been using this software since, I think, version 5), if I uninstalled the fonts, within a few seconds I'd get a pop-up telling me to insert my Creator CD/DVD so the installation could be 'repaired'. What a pain ! Unfortunately, there still seems to be no way to install without the label creator.)

Re the uninstall issue, my experiences with upgrades is that normally if you must uninstall the previous version, the installer either (1) tells you that and refuses to install the new version, or (2) it does the uninstall automatically. Since neither of those things happened here, I assumed it wasn't needed.

At this point, perhaps I should uninstall and reinstall C2012. I hope there wasn't a problem with my download of the program, or that I can download again.

Thanks for your help.

#20 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,727 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

At this point, perhaps I should uninstall and reinstall C2012. I hope there wasn't a problem with my download of the program, or that I can download again.

You should of extracted the download with Win Zip, WinRAR, or 7Zip links in my signature below.

Then burned that to a disc as a backup!

Attached File  7.jpg   182.87K   0 downloads
cd
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users