Jump to content

Roxio Community

Help! I'm A Novice With Several File Types... Should I Buy This?!


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 supershopper

supershopper

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:04 AM

Hi,

I have several home video clips saved on my computer hard drive which came from 2 different types of camera (one Sony, one Panasonic), some from iphone and some from a DVD camcorder.
The various formats are:
movie clips - .mpg
video clips - .AVI
Quick Time movie - .MOV
AVCHD - .m2ts
3GPP audio - .3gp

I'd like to get all of these off my computer and onto DVDs which I can then play on any standard DVD player (not Blu-Ray or Playstation, don't have those!).

Looking at the Quick Time one for example, I'm guessing this has been created by how I've downloaded it to the computer, but I don't have the original clips any more (i.e. they've all been wiped from the cameras since downloading). Can I still convert them to DVD?!

We are running Windows 7 and think we have the other necessary system requirements.

I'm confused as to why I can't just use Windows DVD maker for this - but for the older format files it used to just freeze and now it doesn't seem to recognise the new formats.

As I'm not really sure what I'm doing, I don't know if it's worth spending this much money on something when I'm not sure if it will do the job I want - am guessing you can't send it back if it doesn't?!

Can someone please offer some advice...

Yours hopefully,

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,141 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

Perfect! Should not be a problem:

Attached File  VideoWave - 1 Add.jpg   292.39K   0 downloads


However... having said that, there is NO guarantee that all files actually meet the Standards... We all encounter that from time to time and use any of the free converters available in that case to bring it back to standard.
Posted Image

#3 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

...and if you but directly from Roxio, there is a 30 day money back guarantee.

Is that all you want to do with the program?  If so, you may want to look at the alternatives that will do video only.   Look here (link)

Mkae sure all your drivers are up to date including your video card/chip.  That is one of the most important things other than the CPU.  If you post your computer manufacturer and complete model number,  we can make more suggestions.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#4 supershopper

supershopper

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Thanks so much for the quick replies - now children are in bed I can try and concentrate on this again!!

We have a SONY VAIO touchscreen computer thingie (!) and I'm not really sure where to get the model number from... Likewise, having read another post, I'm not sure how to find out what version of media player we are running... when I open it, there seems to be no toolbar as such, and when you click on the 'help' question mark it just goes straight to online support, so no way of seeing what version of the program we have. When I tried to look it up under the control panel program files list, I couldn't seem to find it there at all (though obviously it is as it opens and works fine)!! Can you help me with this?!

Sorry I'm not so clever on all this!! I know I don't need all the fancy extras that Creator 2012 gives us, but I've read some of the reviews of the others like Easy video Copy etc, and customers generally have more complaints with them....

So I'm happy to spend a bit more money if I know it will do the job. I'm a bit old school and prefer the idea of having the hard copy really, in case anything went wrong with our computer and we wanted to reinstall it.... but would you say download is just as good an option?! Do Roxio really honour the 30-day refund if it's not working for you, even if you've done the download?!

Last question, at the moment I have blank Sony DVD-R 4.7GBs which say 1X-16x compatible. I have no idea what that means, but should they be OK for recording the movies onto for playback in DVD players?!

Thanks so much for your advice, much appreciated.

#5 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

View Postsupershopper, on 03 January 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Thanks so much for the quick replies - now children are in bed I can try and concentrate on this again!!

We have a SONY VAIO touchscreen computer thingie (!) and I'm not really sure where to get the model number from... Likewise, having read another post, I'm not sure how to find out what version of media player we are running... when I open it, there seems to be no toolbar as such, and when you click on the 'help' question mark it just goes straight to online support, so no way of seeing what version of the program we have. When I tried to look it up under the control panel program files list, I couldn't seem to find it there at all (though obviously it is as it opens and works fine)!! Can you help me with this?!

Sorry I'm not so clever on all this!! I know I don't need all the fancy extras that Creator 2012 gives us, but I've read some of the reviews of the others like Easy video Copy etc, and customers generally have more complaints with them....

So I'm happy to spend a bit more money if I know it will do the job. I'm a bit old school and prefer the idea of having the hard copy really, in case anything went wrong with our computer and we wanted to reinstall it.... but would you say download is just as good an option?! Do Roxio really honour the 30-day refund if it's not working for you, even if you've done the download?!

Last question, at the moment I have blank Sony DVD-R 4.7GBs which say 1X-16x compatible. I have no idea what that means, but should they be OK for recording the movies onto for playback in DVD players?!

Thanks so much for your advice, much appreciated.

Those other programs are the same as what is in Creator 2012 but chopped up for peole who want to do only one thing.  Creator 2012 is the Roxio flagship product and you get free technical support for a time after purchase.

Yes, you can get the $$ back on either the disc or the download  -- within the 30 days of buying it from the Roxio store.  With the download, you can always make a copy of it just in case,  or buy the backup disc.

Look at what you bought, the computer's model number should be on th3 sal3es slip. it or you may find a sticker on the box or the back of the computer,    DO NOT buy the program without knowing if your computer meets or exceeds the minimum requirements.

It really sounds like you are a computer novice.  Do you have  friend that could help you.  We are happy to help but sometimes someone looking over your shoulder can see and explain something that is difficult for you to describe.

There are a lot of tutorials but you really need to understand the lingo.

OOPs, I forgot to address the discs.  Yous DVDs are what you need to burn the video movies and play on a DVD player attached to your TV.  I used to use Sony but they have been farming out the manufcture to others and sometimes the quality is not as good.  The digits are the acceptable write speeds but what is possible depends on your optical burner.  Most people burn at somewhat less than the maximum.  Try the Sony  if they work, fine.  If not, try Verbatim or JVC-TaiyoYouden  (on line prchase only).   Sometimes spending a little more on good quality discs saves time and money in the long run.

Edited by sknis, 03 January 2012 - 01:08 PM.

PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#6 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,141 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

As far as the Windows Media Player...

If you have this:

Attached File  WMP 1.jpg   26.03K   0 downloads

Click that ??? whatever it is, to get to:

Attached File  WMP 2.jpg   168.68K   0 downloads


If you order directly from Roxio, you have 30 days to return it. If you buy it locally (GB?) then you have to go with whatever the Store says...

I am not 100% sure you will be happy with a touch screen vs a mouse :glare: Unless you can use it in conjunction with a Stylus but a few things are easier if you can Right Click...

Edited by Jim_Hardin, 03 January 2012 - 01:16 PM.

Posted Image

#7 supershopper

supershopper

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

Great thanks - for some reason we had lost the toolbar but got it back. Apparently we have version 12 point something something something??!!!

Errr.. receipt for the computer may well be in its box in the loft... only piece of paper I can find says it is Sony L11M1E/S E7500 - does that mean anything to anyone??!

A-ha! Just found model PCV-A1111M on the back. Does that mean you can tell if my system/computer is compatible now??!

No computer friend sadly :( have a couple of other issues I could do with getting sorted too! All just takes so long....

You're right about the touch screen - nice gimmick but not really used much, we do have mouse and keyboard!! we bought it to make life easier for our 4 year old (she has autism), and it was brilliant for her initially. Now she's switched to the mouse like us too!!

Will buy from Roxio's UK site once I've slept on it :) thanks for all your help so far.

#8 ogdens

ogdens

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,227 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lucknow, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

View Postsupershopper, on 03 January 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Great thanks - for some reason we had lost the toolbar but got it back. Apparently we have version 12 point something something something??!!!

Errr.. receipt for the computer may well be in its box in the loft... only piece of paper I can find says it is Sony L11M1E/S E7500 - does that mean anything to anyone??!

A-ha! Just found model PCV-A1111M on the back. Does that mean you can tell if my system/computer is compatible now??!

No computer friend sadly :( have a couple of other issues I could do with getting sorted too! All just takes so long....

You're right about the touch screen - nice gimmick but not really used much, we do have mouse and keyboard!! we bought it to make life easier for our 4 year old (she has autism), and it was brilliant for her initially. Now she's switched to the mouse like us too!!

Will buy from Roxio's UK site once I've slept on it :) thanks for all your help so far.

FYI

Here is a good program that will give you all the info on your computer  http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html .

Download the program and install, then run it. After it has finished, you could then print the results, and you have a record of whats on your computer.

#9 supershopper

supershopper

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

Right, think I wll buy the hard copy - am a bit unsure about downloading anything else at the mo, as I seem to create more problems by doing that...!!

One last question though, for the system requirements (1024x768 DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card with at least 16-bit color setting, sound card, DVD-ROM drive), I can't seem to find anywhere what graphics card we have. Assume we have one, and a sound card, but not sure how to find out what quality they are?!

Non-Roxio related, but does anyone know how I can remove Avira Anti Virus from my computer.... I thought I had uninstalled it, and it doesn't show up in the programs listling, but there is an icon for it still separately in the control panel... any ideas?!

Thanks all

#10 mdas

mdas

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hi supershopper,

To remove avira antivirus go to start < control panel < Add and remove programs < find out the avira antivirus there < click on it and press remove

#11 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,141 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

View Postmdas, on 04 January 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

Hi supershopper,

To remove avira antivirus go to start < control panel < Add and remove programs < find out the avira antivirus there < click on it and press remove
He explained in the posting that it is NOT in the Progam list ;)
Posted Image

#12 supershopper

supershopper

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

I know I'm a novice, but I'm not that bad...  Posted Image

#13 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

View Postsupershopper, on 04 January 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

I know I'm a novice, but I'm not that bad...  Posted Image

mdas also posts as Nylan 007.  That poster has nothing else to do but to make posts that don't have anything to do with the issues being discussed thus confusing the person with the issue.   He is from a country where his use of the English language may not be the best (although it should be)..  I think we give him the benefit of the doubt in that he doesn't understand.  He is good with the search function.   He has made several people angry and that is probably why he has changed his name.   If he keeps this up, he will be banned soon.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#14 myguggi

myguggi

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Postsknis, on 04 January 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

mdas also posts as Nylan 007.  That poster has nothing else to do but to make posts that don't have anything to do with the issues being discussed thus confusing the person with the issue.   He is from a country where his use of the English language may not be the best (although it should be)..  I think we give him the benefit of the doubt in that he doesn't understand.  He is good with the search function.   He has made several people angry and that is probably why he has changed his name.   If he keeps this up, he will be banned soon.

Steve, don't you mean "nayan007"?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset


#15 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 04 January 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Steve, don't you mean "nayan007"?

Yes, sometimes he makes me so angry that I can'r see (or type) straight.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users