• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DonaldK

DonaldK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

I recently purchased 2012 Pro and have it installed.  I'm looking for some guidance in how to start using the software.  I have DirecTV HD and also have it connected to a Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 recorder (http://www.hauppauge...data_hdpvr.html).  I am able to record anything off of DirecTV onto a PC which creates a .WMV of the program.  What I want to do is to record a series of shows, import them into 2012 and then create a menu which allows the user (once it's burned to a DVD), to select which show to play back.  It's the same principle as buying a DVD of a program that has multiple sub tracks (scene selections) which you can select from.

I've looked at the learning center, watched some of the YouTube videos, and even talked to customer support (whom I had a difficult time understanding him).  He said that he would send me some links, but I haven't seen anything as of yet.

Would someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction, give some hints or be able to help me in any other way?

Thanks

#2 Elroy Stolle

Elroy Stolle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

me too.

#3 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,689 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:44 AM

First problem you will run into is SPACE!

DVD Time DVD Capacity
4.7Gb:
HQ = 1:06
SP = 1:37
LP = 2:22

8.5 Gb:
HQ = 2:00
SP = 2:57
LP = 4:19
ELP = 5:35

For TIME you sacrifice QUALITY!

What I suggest is that you create some VideoWave Projects (Edit Video-Advanced) then open MyDVD (Create DVDs) and add each VW Project to the DVD.

IF you don't combine them, you will get a Menu Button for each seperate VW Project.

Slap a few together and burn on a DVD RW disc then play them... Try different quality settings and see what you can tolerate :lol:

A couple of lengthy posts that might help:

Here

Here
Posted Image

#4 DonaldK

DonaldK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

Jim,

Thanks for the info and I will start to go through the content that you've provided.  One thing about the HD PVR 1212 is that you can vary the record Mbits / second to obtain a higher / lessor quality recording.  You are correct in that there is an inverse relationship of quality vs time, especially in HD.

#5 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,689 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:53 AM

View PostDonaldK, on 04 January 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

Jim,

Thanks for the info and I will start to go through the content that you've provided.  One thing about the HD PVR 1212 is that you can vary the record Mbits / second to obtain a higher / lessor quality recording.  You are correct in that there is an inverse relationship of quality vs time, especially in HD.
doesn't matter... that is only for the SOURCE and it will be changed during the Authoring in MyDVD to whatever is set there ;)

There is a "Same as Original" setting but no one has ever demonstrated that it actually works :lol:
Posted Image

#6 SgtBob

SgtBob

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

:P I'm impressed wiht the knowledge you possess - especially after you helped me with my VHS to DVD issues and 'Snipping Tool' in Windows 7.  

Could you share another item?  Specifically, in viewing your training materials, noted on this reply, how do you use the arrow entries and add text when explaining a point on a menu feature?

This may be IT 101, but its a mystery to me!

Bob   :D

View PostJim_Hardin, on 04 January 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

First problem you will run into is SPACE!

DVD Time DVD Capacity
4.7Gb:
HQ = 1:06
SP = 1:37
LP = 2:22

8.5 Gb:
HQ = 2:00
SP = 2:57
LP = 4:19
ELP = 5:35

For TIME you sacrifice QUALITY!

What I suggest is that you create some VideoWave Projects (Edit Video-Advanced) then open MyDVD (Create DVDs) and add each VW Project to the DVD.

IF you don't combine them, you will get a Menu Button for each seperate VW Project.

Slap a few together and burn on a DVD RW disc then play them... Try different quality settings and see what you can tolerate :lol:

A couple of lengthy posts that might help:

Here

Here

#7 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,689 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

View PostSgtBob, on 14 February 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

:P I'm impressed wiht the knowledge you possess - especially after you helped me with my VHS to DVD issues and 'Snipping Tool' in Windows 7.  

Could you share another item?  Specifically, in viewing your training materials, noted on this reply, how do you use the arrow entries and add text when explaining a point on a menu feature?

This may be IT 101, but its a mystery to me!

Bob   :D
How embarrassing  :lol:

I don't use Roxio's PhotoSuite for that but rather another software :huh:

It is Corel's PaintShop Pro (I mention it by name since Corel just bought Roxio so maybe some of their other programs will migrate over  ;) )... I started using it many years ago and while I am not its' master, I am comfortable using it. It also captures the cursor if I want it

Roxio's PhotoSuite has the ability to add text but lacks arrowheads.

Just like cars, NO Software seems to do everything that you want of it :lol:
Posted Image

#8 beiker

beiker

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 14 February 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

How embarrassing  :lol:

I don't use Roxio's PhotoSuite for that but rather another software :huh:

It is Corel's PaintShop Pro (I mention it by name since Corel just bought Roxio so maybe some of their other programs will migrate over  ;) )... I started using it many years ago and while I am not its' master, I am comfortable using it. It also captures the cursor if I want it

Roxio's PhotoSuite has the ability to add text but lacks arrowheads.

Just like cars, NO Software seems to do everything that you want of it :lol:

Indeed. They always say, "The best software is always a work in progress"

Edited by beiker, 14 February 2012 - 07:10 AM.

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel I3
4GB RAM
1GB Video Card
320GB HDD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users