• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fnrbeaupre

fnrbeaupre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

I'm trying to open, with Vista, an old CD of family photos that I created in 2004.  I get the following message:  "The CD-RW disc you inserted was formatted with EasyWrite.  To read this disc, you must install a special driver.  This wizard will guide you through the process."  I install the driver and I get the following message:  "EasyWrite Disc Reader is up to date."  But I still can't access the pictures on the CD.  Any suggestions??

Thanks!

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,267 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hello,

I believe that Easywrite was a special "Mt Rainier" or "MRW" type of packet writing which was supported by some optical drives. I understand that it was hoped to be the 'best thing since sliced bread', but didn't achieve the popularity its authors hoped for and it withered away. Not all [and perhaps very few] drives now support the Mt.Rainier system.

I read in a post on RealGeek.com HERE that if your drive supports it, so does Vista.

There is a download available at 9Down.com HERE which is supposed to allow you to read an Easywrite disc in systems which don't natively support it.

Easywrite/Mt.Rainier seems to be a very troubled format, as are most packet-wtiting softwares [Direct CD, InCD, DLA, and so on]. If you are reluctant to try installing one of the readers which are supposed to let you read the discs, you might try examining the disc with either CD-Roller [cdroller.com] or ISOBuster [isobuster.com]. These two programs are well-recommended for recovery of files from 'troubled' discs. They are commercial programs, but I understand that each of them will operate in trial mode to let you see if they can recover files from your disc(s). If they show you can, then you're required to pay for the full version before the programs will do any actual file recovery.

Hope this helps you.

Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users