• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Donsla

Donsla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 PC running Windows XP which came bundled with Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7. Over the years I've tried at times to formatt CD-RW disks but always with the same result - "The media you have inserted is read-only". Can anyone tell me why and what I can do about it.

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,421 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

CDRW discs can be used in two ways:

[1] they can be unformatted and written as standard CDs, readable by any PC and erased when you want to re-use them
or
[2] they can be specially formatted by a packet-writing program and used as a large slow floppy disc where individual files can be written and erased

If you're trying to format your discs you may be using method 2, which has a lot of disadvantages. However I can't be sure and can't advise until you tell me just what you're doing with the discs, and how you're doing it, and what program you're using when you get the error you're complaining about.

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#3 Donsla

Donsla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi Brendon

Yes I'm trying to use method 2 so that I can drag and drop files to disk. I used to do this a lot some years ago and found it very useful but I've never had a computer where I could formatt the disks myself, someone at work used to do them for me. I realise that flash drives have superseded formatted CD-RW but I'd still like to be able to do it.
I'm using Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7, I have also tried Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users