Says Failed To Prepare For Cd-Rom Or Dvd-Rom Compatability

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SavannahK9

SavannahK9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything to do with dogs. Motorhoming.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

I have successfully burned a load of photos from my computer to a DVD-R using Creator 9 but when I try to Eject in a format that can be viewed on other media it starts to do it then whizzes to the end very quickly and a message comes up Failed to prepare for CD-ROM or DVD-ROM compatability.  I tried a second time using a CD-R - again burned the photos fine but would not finalize.  I have done this latter exercise previously and I have been able to view the photos on my small multi media player ok but not this time.  Fiddled round trying various other settings under Options - Advanced but nothing seems to work.  I am running on XP and absolutely nothing has changed in my operating system to my knowledge since the last time I did the same thing with some photos several months ago.  Has anyone any simple suggestions (I am not computer literate.)  I would be so grateful as I want to keep these discs of precious photos to view in the future and may not have this computer then and will be unable to see them.

#11 SavannahK9

SavannahK9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

Best Answer

[quote name='Brendon' date='07 January 2012 - 03:18 AM' timestamp='1325935096' post='397920']
Thank you GrandpaBruce and Brendon.  I am now a Happy Bunny again as I successfully used Creator Classic to re-burn my photos onto a disc using the Data Disc mode and I can view my photos on my small Media Player.  Still would not display on my DVD player but that is a weird machine anyway so not too surprised or bothered about that.  Thanks both for all your help.

#2 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostSavannahK9, on 06 January 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

I have successfully burned a load of photos from my computer to a DVD-R using Creator 9 but when I try to Eject in a format that can be viewed on other media it starts to do it then whizzes to the end very quickly and a message comes up Failed to prepare for CD-ROM or DVD-ROM compatability.  I tried a second time using a CD-R - again burned the photos fine but would not finalize.  I have done this latter exercise previously and I have been able to view the photos on my small multi media player ok but not this time.  Fiddled round trying various other settings under Options - Advanced but nothing seems to work.  I am running on XP and absolutely nothing has changed in my operating system to my knowledge since the last time I did the same thing with some photos several months ago.  Has anyone any simple suggestions (I am not computer literate.)  I would be so grateful as I want to keep these discs of precious photos to view in the future and may not have this computer then and will be unable to see them.

Are you using Drag to Disc to burn those photos to a DVD?  If so, you may instead, want to use Creator Classic, one of the programs in Easy Media Creator 9 to burn to DVDs or CDs.  You don't need to format the disc, and any other computer will be able to read the discs.

Edited by grandpabruce, 06 January 2012 - 03:02 PM.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#3 SavannahK9

SavannahK9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

Thank you so much for that information.  I had indeed been using Drag To Disc and had never even seen the Classic Creator before that you mentioned.  I have found it now and will give it a go.  Am I right in assuming I need to select Multimedia Discs under the Projects heading for the job I want to do?

#4 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,075 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:18 AM

Hello,

When you select "Multimedia Disc" in Creator Classic and go to add photographs, you'll get this warning which I got a couple of minutes ago.

Warning.jpg

Since it's talking about types of playlists, it seems to be angling towards some sort of special multimedia disc.
I would be inclined to select "Data Disc" and thereby make a standard data disc which will be readable in any PC and also most modern DVD players.

One thing you really need to know about authoring a standard disc with Creator Classic:
-standard discs are normally written in "sessions" [i.e. a bunch of files are written to discin a session, rather than just a single file]
-once a session is written, the disc can either be closed or it can be left open so further sessions can be added until the disc is full.
-Creator Classic's default is to leave the disc open for further sessions, so if you need to close the disc you have to tell Creator Classic to do that. Here's how:
[1] click the 'Burn' button when you're ready to burn

burn1.jpg

[2] In the Burn Setup box which appears, tick the little 'Read Only Disc' checkbox and then the OK button which appears, to close the disc. If Creator Classic is closing discs when you don't want it to, find and un-check that checkbox to stop it closing future discs. [you can't reopen a closed CDR or DVDR]

burn2.jpg

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#5 SavannahK9

SavannahK9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:23 AM

Thank you for your advice Brendon and taking the trouble to reply.  I will give it a go later on today.

#6 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostSavannahK9, on 07 January 2012 - 03:23 AM, said:

Thank you for your advice Brendon and taking the trouble to reply.  I will give it a go later on today.

Please let us know if it works for you, the way you want it to.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#7 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,439 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostSavannahK9, on 06 January 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

If you use Roxio to burn CDs then prepare them for use on another computer and regularly get this error:  

failed to prepare media for cd-rom or dvd-rom compatibility

There are a couple of (very hard to find) fixes from Roxio.

Try updating the PX Engine: http://kb.roxio.com/...N?set-locale=en

And/or try updating your hardware's firmware: http://patches.sonic...fo_firmware.htm

The first patch (PX Engine update) resolved all of the problems on one particular machine...
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#8 SavannahK9

SavannahK9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Yes I will.  Didn't have time to do any more on it today as wonderful weather so spent all day doing stuff outdoors instead!

#9 SavannahK9

SavannahK9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the further info.  As soon as I have tried these suggestions I will let you know what worked the best!

#10 SavannahK9

SavannahK9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

[quote name='cdanteek' date='07 January 2012 - 08:17 AM' timestamp='1325953029' post='397939']
Thank you so much for these suggestions.  I have had a look at them but I am afraid they are way too scary for me to do.  I do appreciate your trying to help me and they probably would have worked if I understood more about what I was doing.

#12 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostSavannahK9, on 10 January 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

Thank you GrandpaBruce and Brendon.  I am now a Happy Bunny again as I successfully used Creator Classic to re-burn my photos onto a disc using the Data Disc mode and I can view my photos on my small Media Player.  Still would not display on my DVD player but that is a weird machine anyway so not too surprised or bothered about that.  Thanks both for all your help.

You're welcome, Savannah.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users