20 replies to this topic

#1 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

I'm working on my first production.  I uploaded and added 3 video tapes and did the Automatic Scene Detection and hit OK.  Any time I go to a specific tape and right click for Scene Detection all the scenes show up.  However on one tape, I did the same procedure and hit OK, however when I go back to that tape at a later time and right click for Scene Detection it shows nothing is there.  I am really confused.  Any suggestions?

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:54 AM

You shouldn't be right clicking but rather using the Media Selector view.

Clicking the little black arrow will open the scenes then drag the one you want into your VideoWave Project.

This posting, Here, covers that and more ;)
Posted Image

#3 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

Jim I'm still really confused.  

In Media Selector, I have four raw tapes.  If I click on Tape 2, 3, 4 under the Media Selector and right click, hit Scene Detection, Automatic, I can see all the indivual scenes.  If I hit OK, it shows all the scenes from that tape under the Media Selector (see below to the right)with the name Belize_2 0000.mpg.  From here we can delete scenes we don't want or drag them into the production.  

However if I do the same procedure with Tape 1, I will see all the scenes after the Automatic Scene Detection is completed (see bottom image), however when I hit OK, the title shows up as All Media and I see a bunch of mp3 files and some various other files, but it does not include the indivual scenes.  

If I go back at a later time in the Media Selector and pick Tape 2,3, or 4 and hit Scene Detection again, all the previous scenes still show up.  However with Tape 1, the scenes are not saved.

I have no idea what is going on with this one file.  I tried to do the same thing with the Media Manager and I had the same results.

Any insight?

Attached Files

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

In your pic, only 3 of the files have Scenes.

Those are the ones with the little black down arrows:

Attached File  Image1.jpg   160.67K   0 downloads

To Access those Scenes, you MUST Left Click on the little arrow :huh:

If you Right Click and pick Scenes you are starting all over again :(

In this sequence, I have

Opened the Scenes:
Attached File  Image2.jpg   132.19K   0 downloads

Picked one:
Attached File  Image3.jpg   126K   1 downloads

Dragged it into my Project
Attached File  Image4.jpg   160.66K   0 downloads

Is that what you are doing?
Posted Image

#5 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

Kind of.  In the Media Selector, I do not see the little black arrow that you are talking about.  I do see the arrow in your picture.  I attached a photo of the current Media Selector and you do not see the black arrow.  I am right clicking in the tape and hitting Scene Detection (again) and all the scenes show up without having to go through the entire tape again...other than Tape 1. Then I hit OK and all the scences then show up in the Media Selector and then I can insert the scenes into the Production.  Tape 1 is acting very differently for whatever reason.

I just check for any upgrades and I didn't see any.

Attached Files

#6 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

Well I just saved, closed and went back in.  Now in the Media Selector I do see the black arrow indicating the scenes.  However there is still no scene for Tape 1.  I'll try again

#7 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Basically I can't get Tape 1 to save the Scenes.  It went through Auto Detect, I hit Select All, and then OK.  This time nothing happened other than the Scene Selector box closed.  I saved, closed, went back in and I see the little black arrow for all the tapes, other than Tape 1.

Do you think it is worth deleting this file and re-downloading the tape?

#8 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

I tried doing the scene detection on another file and it worked fine.  Once I hit OK, the little black arrow showed up.  I'll just try to re-capture Tape 1.

#9 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,624 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

Perhaps there is not enough change in the video for the program to do a proper scene select.  There are four possibilities --1)  do it manually , 2) do it timed, 3)  increase the sensitivity or 4) add the entire video to Edit Video Advanced and do a manyal mark and delete.

Does tape 1 have a lot of changes in lighting, actualy scenes etc?  The program does need some indication that there are scene changes.  When you are doing it now, how many scenes do you actually get?
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#10 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

I have the Sensitivity set at 40.  It is finding 100 scenes.  It is underwater video so there are a lot of off/on with the camera and a lot of changes with subject and lighting.  I really think there is an issue with the file.  The tape is about 60 minutes but the scene detector was stoppping at about 34 minutes.  I'm currently re-downloading the tape and I'll try again.  I tested a few other files like Jim noted above and they all worked fine, so that's why I'm thinking it's the Tape 1 file.

#11 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Re-uploading the tape and then doing the scene selection worked!!  It must have been a file glitch.  Thanks for the help!!

#12 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,624 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostJRRKAR, on 07 January 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

I have the Sensitivity set at 40.  It is finding 100 scenes.  It is underwater video so there are a lot of off/on with the camera and a lot of changes with subject and lighting.  I really think there is an issue with the file.  The tape is about 60 minutes but the scene detector was stoppping at about 34 minutes.  I'm currently re-downloading the tape and I'll try again.  I tested a few other files like Jim noted above and they all worked fine, so that's why I'm thinking it's the Tape 1 file.

Let us know how it turns out.  I'm not sure what kind of  video error would cause this problem however? Do you want/need that many scenes? I'm not sure I have read about anyone using that many scenes.  Try cutting down the sensitivity to get fewer. Underwater scenes would be great so I understand that you want them all and to be able to work with them.   I don't know if there is any restrictions in the software. Do the other tapes have as many scenes?
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#13 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,860 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostJRRKAR, on 07 January 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Do you really want 100 scenes.? You will find that you still have examine every scene to determine if you want to use it. I personally never use scene detection but go through the video manually and select the scenes. Also I never work with video longer then 10-20 minutes, makes editing much easier and less error prone.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#14 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

Well this is our first attempt at putting together a video compilation.  As you said, you still have to watch all the footage so having that many scenes may not be the best choice.  Live and learn!

#15 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

What is the best way to creat your own scene manually?  It looks like if you are in the Scene Dection screen and move the arrow to where you want to start and hot Add Scene, it will make a scene from the point you start to the end.  How do you create a scene say from 1:30 sec to 3:10 sec?

#16 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

SKNIS - I saw another post you had about editing a file and deleting a section of it that you didn't want.  In my case I want to take bits and pieces from each video tape (about 4 hours total) and put together a 30 minute video.  So I want to take a few pieces out of each tape and inter mingle them.  I don't want to play all the pieces from Tape 1, then play Tape 2 etc.  What would be your suggestion if I don't use scenes?

#17 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

OK well I think I figured it out. If I drag the entire tape into the Storyline, I can then go into the Timeline and split the entire tape into the pieces I either want to keep or want to delete.  With the pieces I keep, I can then go back to the Storyline and drag and drop the pieces where I want them!

Thank you for the video posts.  This is definetly a little confusing for the novice but I finally got it....I think!

#18 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostJRRKAR, on 07 January 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

OK well I think I figured it out. If I drag the entire tape into the Storyline, I can then go into the Timeline and split the entire tape into the pieces I either want to keep or want to delete.  With the pieces I keep, I can then go back to the Storyline and drag and drop the pieces where I want them!

Thank you for the video posts.  This is definetly a little confusing for the novice but I finally got it....I think!
That may be a very poor solution... but it depends on what you are doing.

The Scenes are more productive but I never let the computer decide! I always set mine manually!!!
Posted Image

#19 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Well after a few months of being away and another dive trip I am starting another production (never finish the first one) and it seems like I am having  a recurring issue.  I right click on a video to do a manual scene detection.  I go through and pick a few scenes that I want and hit OK.  When I go back to the Media Selector, there is no little arrow to indicate that there are any saved scenes.  This is getting very frustrating.  The last time this happened I deleted the video and re-uploaded the tape and the problem went away.  I really don't want to have to keep going back and re-uploading tapes.  Any suggestions?

#20 JRRKAR

JRRKAR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

I tried the same procedure with a few other videos and it works just fine, so I know it's not what I'm doing.  For whatever reason, this one fine has some type of glitch, and it isn't the same file I had a glitch with before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users