• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zebtoonz

Zebtoonz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:37 AM

I created a DVD of several of my animations and burned them to DVD. I have a simple DVD player which plays fine as far as the menus go, fast forward, skip, etc. My problem is that almost each clip, 2-5 minutes in duration each, has glitches around the one minute and two minute mark. The glitches are audio drop out, and/or distorted or stalled image. Playback on computer is without flaw and playback on my friends DVD player is perfect as well. But I want to make sure the DVD is good before making 100 copies via an online duplication company. My DVD player is an inexpensive Walmart brand and it plays all other DVDs without a hitch. I just want to make sure I get this right and don't end up with 100 dissatisfied customers :-) Any advise I can get would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Burning info
-Created and burned with Roxio 2012 MyDVD
-Settings: Progressive, HQ (I also tried Interlaced, Same as Original settings and got the same results)
-Used Memorex DVD-R disc (reading through this forum I see it is not recommended--perhaps I should try Verbatim)
-Total runtime: 28 minutes, Size: 2.8GB
-I created an ISO during the burn
Zeb
www.zebtoonz.com
zebtoonz.blogspot.com
www.youtube.com/user/Zebtoonz

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,865 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

It plays on your PC...

It plays on your friends Player...

But not on your Player...

MEDIA!

Memorex has earned a reputation through the years - Junk!

Quality media? Verbatim & Taiyo Yuden (JVC) ;)
Posted Image

#3 Zebtoonz

Zebtoonz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

I thought that was it. Thanks for confirming it Jim! The DVDs I'm thinking of purchasing are
Verbatim Life Series 16x DVD+R. Will that do the trick?
Zeb
www.zebtoonz.com
zebtoonz.blogspot.com

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,865 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

From everything you described, that should do the trick!

You are using HQ and your time is 'short' (under 30 minutes)... Sometimes packing too much, 2 hours on a 4.7 GB disc, will result in a Bitrate so low that players have trouble... But that is not what you have, so I would guess Media is the issue.
Posted Image

#5 Zebtoonz

Zebtoonz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

Okay, I'll try that and will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help and speedy reply! The way this duplicating service works is that you upload directly from your computers DVD drive and they digitally confirm that it is an exact match before they make the copies. So I had to make sure it was right.
Zeb
www.zebtoonz.com
zebtoonz.blogspot.com

#6 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,865 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostZebtoonz, on 12 January 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

Okay, I'll try that and will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help and speedy reply! The way this duplicating service works is that you upload directly from your computers DVD drive and they digitally confirm that it is an exact match before they make the copies. So I had to make sure it was right.
Yes, few households need or require 100 new coasters :lol:
Posted Image

#7 Zebtoonz

Zebtoonz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

Okay, Jim, guess what? We are back to square one even with Verbatim DVDs.  :( I tried two tests one at HQ and the other Same as Original quality. Each of the 11 clips have dropouts at approximately every one minute mark--1:00, 2:05, 3:10, 4:12, etc. (Not precise numbers.)

So what's your next guess?

My original media is mostly MP4s, h.264, 24 fps. I also have one MOV and one WMV but the results are the same for all clips on the final DVD.

Edited by Zebtoonz, 13 January 2012 - 12:39 PM.

Zeb
www.zebtoonz.com
zebtoonz.blogspot.com

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,865 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:50 AM

But aren't all these confined to your one Player??? :huh:

While we all all strive to make something work on the Lowest Common Denominator, it is not always possible when that one is too far gone :lol:

Try them on other machinces, take a disc to your local electronics discount store (mine are starting to recognize me :D ) and try it there.
Posted Image

#9 Zebtoonz

Zebtoonz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:45 AM

That was exactly what I'd thought of doing. I'll try to get it checked out this weekend.

Thanks again, Jim!
Zeb
www.zebtoonz.com
zebtoonz.blogspot.com

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,865 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

I don't see how it is a progam issue - BUT until you can eliminate the DVD as an issue, it is still a possible ;)
Posted Image

#11 Zebtoonz

Zebtoonz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:16 AM

I agree! I had also authored the same DVD using DVDStyler, a freeware program. It had similar glitches and also some issues with one of the buttons so I switched to Roxio. But ultimately the fickle-finger-of-fate seems to be pointing at my crummy DVD player. We shall see.
Zeb
www.zebtoonz.com
zebtoonz.blogspot.com

#12 Zebtoonz

Zebtoonz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Just got back from the store and, yup!, it was my DVD player! The DVDs play without a problem on other players. So I will send my DVD off to the duplicator. Yippeee! Thanks again for all your help, Jim, oh Digital Guru!
Zeb
www.zebtoonz.com
zebtoonz.blogspot.com

#13 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,865 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:19 AM

YOU did all the leg work! :lol:  :P  :lol: