Jump to content

Roxio Community

Dvd Burn Issues


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 extech01

extech01

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

I upgraded from Starter to Creator 12.

I select create dvd. A box comes up I select standard dvd. A blue intro screen appears- I don't name it, animate it nothing. I select the video vile (.avi, divx either already encoded through AVC to NTSC- or I tried just the source file).

The software opens the project, encodes, movies,menus, record menus, complete. Then when I try to play it all I see is the intro screen with this terrible music playing- no movie. Though if I look at the back it looks like it did burn pretty much of the disc. I've waisted 2 going on my third disc.

Prior in preview I can see the movie and when it is burning I can see the video frames. But nothing after that.

Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

I do have to convert the file first using AVC correct- (at least I had to with starter)

Is this not necessary with the full packaged product?

Any thoughts,

Dell Inspiron, win 7 premium, I5 processor, 8gb memory.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by extech01, 14 January 2012 - 09:18 PM.


#2 myguggi

myguggi

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,734 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

View Postextech01, on 14 January 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

I upgraded from Starter to Creator 12.

I select create dvd. A box comes up I select standard dvd. A blue intro screen appears- I don't name it, animate it nothing. I select the video vile (.avi, divx either already encoded through AVC to NTSC- or I tried just the source file).

The software opens the project, encodes, movies,menus, record menus, complete. Then when I try to play it all I see is the intro screen with this terrible music playing- no movie. Though if I look at the back it looks like it did burn pretty much of the disc. I've waisted 2 going on my third disc.

Prior in preview I can see the movie and when it is burning I can see the video frames. But nothing after that.

Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

I do have to convert the file first using AVC correct- (at least I had to with starter)

Is this not necessary with the full packaged product?

Any thoughts,

Dell Inspiron, win 7 premium, I5 processor, 8gb memory.

Thanks in advance.

First of all lets clear up what program you have. There is no such program as Creator 12. What you probably mean is Roxio Creator 2012. If so then please call it by its correct name or at least the shortform C2012. How did you upgrade? Did you first uninstall the Starter? What Starter are you referring to?

Now to you actual problem. What "blue screen" are you referring to? Are there any thumbnails, text, etc on the screen?
Did you create a menu for your movie? Did you just add the video to the Intro?
You have to be more specific in your description on what you are doing. We are not there looking over your shoulder.

What is your source file? Where did it come from? What is AVC? Why are you converting?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset


#3 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,421 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:01 AM

Uh, did you click on the actual movie on the menu screen?  There should either be a thumbnail or a title to click on. If you don't do that, the menu repeats.

Try making one with no menu (since you don't like it anyway).  The movie will play when you insert the disc in the player.

Remember that you can get only about 60 minutes of best quality video on a standard DVD.

Creator 2010 will convert the file to the right format if you start with one of the aceptable formats and if it is not DRM protected.

Acceptable Video formats.: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MKV, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DVD-Video, IFO/VOB, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD

Note that some mov video files taken by digital camcorders do need to be converted with AVC first.

Hey, Roxio went out and paid good money  for someone to decide the best music for the menus.  Did you know that you can make your own or at lest change the background audio! Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by sknis, 15 January 2012 - 06:03 AM.

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#4 extech01

extech01

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Sknis,Myguggi:

Let me preface this by saying I appreciate your patience as I want to really learn about this product and capabilities. To begin with I'm just concentrating on converting my video file on my pc to play on a standard dvd player. Those formats are primarily .avi files (xvid,dvdrip,etc), .mkv files.  First I deleted Roxio Starter before I installed C2012. Starter being the OEM (limited) version that came with my Dell.

I did finally get the movie to play on the dvd player by adding the source file and not the one that I already passed through AVC.

1) "Remember that you can get only about 60 minutes of best quality video on a standard DVD."  Every movie I have is two hours at least  @700mb-1.4gb.  I'm assuming you mean recorded video like my sons basketball game correct?

2)Try making one with no menu (since you don't like it anyway).  The movie will play when you insert the disc in the player.  I did and it finally did play. What are the "menus"? How do you use them? I know it sounds silly but I don't know what they are, do you mean "scenes"? I used to used windows DVD maker and they had templates with nice pictures that said "play", "scenes", does C2012 have them, they must.

3)Can I ever match the quality of the source file to the output of the copied encoded DVD? It seems it is "grainer".

4) I am thinking about getting a DIVX DVD player. I see some have a usb port to I assume play from a thumb drive (source to source)However will C2012 allow me to copy on to DVD-R that source file providing that quality playback. I would get a blu-ray player but all my tv's are 720p.  What advantages do you see in purchasing it. Do you know if they play standard dvd's like you might get from netflix, or blockbuster?

I think that is it for now, thank you.




View Postsknis, on 15 January 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

Uh, did you click on the actual movie on the menu screen?  There should either be a thumbnail or a title to click on. If you don't do that, the menu repeats.

Try making one with no menu (since you don't like it anyway).  The movie will play when you insert the disc in the player.

Remember that you can get only about 60 minutes of best quality video on a standard DVD.

Creator 2010 will convert the file to the right format if acceptable with one of the aceptable formats and if it is not DRM protected.

Acceptable Video formats.: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MKV, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DVD-Video, IFO/VOB, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD

Note that some mov video files taken by digital camcorders do need to be converted with AVC first.

Hey, Roxio went out and paid good money  for someone to decide the best music for the menus.  Did you know that you can make your own or at lest change the background audio! Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by extech01, 15 January 2012 - 10:03 AM.


#5 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,421 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:51 AM

View Postextech01, on 15 January 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Sknis,Myguggi:

Let me preface this by saying I appreciate your patience as I want to really learn about this product and capabilities. To begin with I'm just concentrating on converting my video file on my pc to play on a standard dvd player. Those formats are primarily .avi files (xvid,dvdrip,etc), .mkv files.  First I deleted Roxio Starter before I installed C2012. Starter being the OEM (limited) version that came with my Dell.

I did finally get the movie to play on the dvd player by adding the source file and not the one that I already passed through AVC.

1) "Remember that you can get only about 60 minutes of best quality video on a standard DVD."  Every movie I have is two hours at least  @700mb-1.4gb.  I'm assuming you mean recorded video like my sons basketball game correct?

2)Try making one with no menu (since you don't like it anyway).  The movie will play when you insert the disc in the player.  I did and it finally did play. What are the "menus"? How do you use them? I know it sounds silly but I don't know what they are, do you mean "scenes"? I used to used windows DVD maker and they had templates with nice pictures that said "play", "scenes", does C2012 have them, they must.

3)Can I ever match the quality of the source file to the output of the copied encoded DVD? It seems it is "grainer".

4) I am thinking about getting a DIVX DVD player. I see some have a usb port to I assume play from a thumb drive (source to source)However will C2012 allow me to copy on to DVD-R that source file providing that quality playback. I would get a blu-ray player but all my tv's are 720p.  What advantages do you see in purchasing it. Do you know if they play standard dvd's like you might get from netflix, or blockbuster?

I think that is it for now, thank you.


A standard DVD has VOB files on them.  Therer are mpg2 files.  The discs are authored to play on a standard DVD.  In order to get more than one hour on a DVD, you have to reduce the quality until it may be unwatchable.
DivX files are highly compressed and therefor you can get  more on a disc.

If that is what you want to do, then just use DivX and burn those to the disc or thumbdrive.    If you want to put 2 hours of video on a DVD, then the rest of the questions and answers don't matter. The DivX site has a lot of great information on how to burn and play DivX files.    If your TV has a thumb drive USB port, just copy the DiVX files (as is) to the thumbdrive.  It will probably play them.  Look at your manual.
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#6 extech01

extech01

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

Thank you.

View Postsknis, on 16 January 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

A standard DVD has VOB files on them.  Therer are mpg2 files.  The discs are authored to play on a standard DVD.  In order to get more than one hour on a DVD, you have to reduce the quality until it may be unwatchable.
DivX files are highly compressed and therefor you can get  more on a disc.

If that is what you want to do, then just use DivX and burn those to the disc or thumbdrive.    If you want to put 2 hours of video on a DVD, then the rest of the questions and answers don't matter. The DivX site has a lot of great information on how to burn and play DivX files.    If your TV has a thumb drive USB port, just copy the DiVX files (as is) to the thumbdrive.  It will probably play them.  Look at your manual.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users