#1 jexee

jexee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi,
I have Roxio Creator Pro 2011 and I am converting analog LP's into the digital MP3 format. I have a  "Y" cable where the one side has RCA left and right jacks connected to the output of my audio/video receiver and the other side is a 30mm jack which is connected to the input of my pc.
My question is why do I have to have the volume way up to about the 1 O'clock position on my receiver to get the volume up to the level I want on the level meters on the Roxio program? I have to have the speakers off on my receiver because it would just be way too loud to record the album onto the Roxio program while listening to the speakers conected to my receiver. The only way I can listen to the sound while I am recording is through my pc speakers.
I would much rather listen through the speakers on my home system, but am unable to because the sound level would be way too high.
Does anyone know if there is something else I can do about this? Thanks for your help.

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,381,906 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hello,

If I understand you correctly, you are taking some sort of stereo output from RCA sockets on your A/V receiver/amplifier, and feeding it into some sort of input on your computer which probably has a standard 3.5mm audio socket [since 30mm is more than an inch].

Can you tell us please, what sort of an output [line out, speaker, etc] and what impedance that output has?
Again, what sort of input to the computer are you using? [line in, mic, etc]

If your receiver output doesn't match the computer input, you'll get what's called an 'impedance mismatch' and you don't get a decent signal at the computer end unless you crank the volume up on your A/V receiver to compensate.

Line Out from the source machine connected to Line In on the computer should give you the best match, but be prepared to experiment.

Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windows XP, 7, and 8

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

#3 jexee

jexee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hi Brendon,
Yes, I am connecting from my main output via RCA connections from my A/V receiver/amplifier and feeding it into the rear input jack(3.5mm)of my pc. The output I am using is the "Line Out". I wouldn't know how to get the impedance info on the pc but what you are telling me makes sense. I also tried connecting the receiver to the pc using the headphone jack on the receiver also through a "Y" cable. Standard headphone jack on one end and left/right RCA jacks on the other side. Then connected that to the RCA/3.5mm jack cable and then to my pc. That didn't work well at all. Lousy sound. I guess there is nothing else that I can do and will have to record it the way I am doing it now. At least the sound of the finished product is excellent. I'll just have to continue listening through the pc speakers while I'm recording. Thanks a lot for your help. John

View PostBrendon, on 23 January 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

Hello,

If I understand you correctly, you are taking some sort of stereo output from RCA sockets on your A/V receiver/amplifier, and feeding it into some sort of input on your computer which probably has a standard 3.5mm audio socket [since 30mm is more than an inch].

Can you tell us please, what sort of an output [line out, speaker, etc] and what impedance that output has?
Again, what sort of input to the computer are you using? [line in, mic, etc]

If your receiver output doesn't match the computer input, you'll get what's called an 'impedance mismatch' and you don't get a decent signal at the computer end unless you crank the volume up on your A/V receiver to compensate.

Line Out from the source machine connected to Line In on the computer should give you the best match, but be prepared to experiment.

Brendon

#4 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

View Postjexee, on 24 January 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Hi Brendon,
Yes, I am connecting from my main output via RCA connections from my A/V receiver/amplifier and feeding it into the rear input jack(3.5mm)of my pc. The output I am using is the "Line Out". I wouldn't know how to get the impedance info on the pc but what you are telling me makes sense. I also tried connecting the receiver to the pc using the headphone jack on the receiver also through a "Y" cable. Standard headphone jack on one end and left/right RCA jacks on the other side. Then connected that to the RCA/3.5mm jack cable and then to my pc. That didn't work well at all. Lousy sound. I guess there is nothing else that I can do and will have to record it the way I am doing it now. At least the sound of the finished product is excellent. I'll just have to continue listening through the pc speakers while I'm recording. Thanks a lot for your help. John

Your input jacks on your computer Sound card are controlled by options in the sound card.

Have you looked in there to see if you have the settings set right.

Tell us what O/S you have XP/Vista/W7 and we can probably help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users