7 replies to this topic

#1 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Near the start of 2012 Roxio replaced the application used with the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac with a new app called "Roxio Video Capture." This new app looks very different and changes the video-encoding format. Also, Toast 9 Basic is no longer included with the device.

It appears Roxio renamed this product as "Roxio Video Capture USB for Mac." The new Roxio Video Capture app is better for capturing video for playback on computers and uploading to the Internet and less convenient for making video DVDs (although the videos still can be made into video DVD discs by using iDVD or recent versions of Toast or Popcorn). An article published January 24 on Roxio's MyMoments site refers to the product's new name but mistakenly shows the steps for using the previous application rather than the new application.

Currently, the previous Easy VHS to DVD for Mac app is available for download from Roxio's software updates page. That app records video in the MPEG 2 format required for video DVDs.

The new Roxio Video Capture app captures using Apple Intermediate Codec in High-quality mode and H.264 MPEG 4 format in Medium- and Low-Quality modes. The A.I.C. files are quite large: about 100 megabytes per minute of video whereas the others are about 14.5 and 8 megabytes per minute, respectively. The medium-quality has only a 18.76 fps frame rate rather than the other two modes which are the full 29.97 fps. It makes the medium-quality playback jerky although it reduces file sizes. The Low-quality is 320x240 pixels rather than 640x480 for the other two. The high-quality mode cannot be imported directly to iTunes. It needs conversion using QuickTime Player or iMovie to be compatible with import to iTunes. The medium and low quality captures can be directly imported to iTunes at the end of the recording.

A nice feature of the new app is a built-in trimmer for marking segments to be skipped when "finishing" the movie.

Because the two apps are so very different it is very important to mention which of the two capture applications you are using when you post questions in this forum.

Edited by tsantee, 30 January 2012 - 02:41 PM.

I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#2 lawrence944

lawrence944

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

i have windows 8 and easy vhs to dvd 3 plus and the computer cannot read the instalation dvd but reads all other dvds. please help

#3 Pedro 43

Pedro 43

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

I am a new user of Roxio VHS to DVD for Mac. I have installed ver. 2.0.1(135). I did not install Toast. I have captured a couple of .mov files that I captured, edited and finished in Roxio Video capture and then burned a DVD using iDVD. Worked fine. Now Roxio video capture is not working properly. After recording it does not let you edit and finish then when I exit it says couldn't delete temporary file. "Roxio Video Capture Temp[4].mov" couldn't be removed. Apparently there is a huge temp file that cannot be removed and I cannot find it to delete it. Is Toast required to delete these temp files? If I install toast now will it link to the existing temp files? I have no Roxio converted items folder that Toast makes.

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostPedro 43, on 29 June 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

I am a new user of Roxio VHS to DVD for Mac. I have installed ver. 2.0.1(135). I did not install Toast. I have captured a couple of .mov files that I captured, edited and finished in Roxio Video capture and then burned a DVD using iDVD. Worked fine. Now Roxio video capture is not working properly. After recording it does not let you edit and finish then when I exit it says couldn't delete temporary file. "Roxio Video Capture Temp[4].mov" couldn't be removed. Apparently there is a huge temp file that cannot be removed and I cannot find it to delete it. Is Toast required to delete these temp files? If I install toast now will it link to the existing temp files? I have no Roxio converted items folder that Toast makes.
Using Toast won't make any difference with this issue. Maybe the Roxio Video Capture preferences are corrupted or maybe you should reinstall the application. In order to access your User>Library so you can delete the preference file you may need to hold down the option key while selecting the Go menu in the Finder. You also may want to run the repair function in Disk Utility or run Disk Warrior if you have it. I don't know why you're having that experience but those are possible fixes.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 LindaV

LindaV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

I just purchased (9.2.13) Roxio EAsy VHS to DVD for Mac.  I have a Mac OSX 10.8.4 with 4GB of memory with 549 GB free disk space and IMovie '11 which meets all criteria for the software. I have made all the correct connections but have no video.  I have changed the video cable using 3 different cables and still no video. I do have  audio. Help!

#6 LindaV

LindaV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

I have just purchased (9.2.13) Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac and iupon installation did the update.  I have a Mac OSX 10.8.4, with ample RAM and storage and IMovie '11.  After making all the connections, I still have no video, but I do have audio.  I have tried 3 separate video cables and still no video. After sending my request for Support and being told the system cannot respond and to email with the provided email address. The email was returned as no delivery to said address. Since Roxio cannot provide any support does someone else have a solution?
Thanks!

#7 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostLindaV, on 05 September 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

I have just purchased (9.2.13) Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac and iupon installation did the update.  I have a Mac OSX 10.8.4, with ample RAM and storage and IMovie '11.  After making all the connections, I still have no video, but I do have audio.  I have tried 3 separate video cables and still no video. After sending my request for Support and being told the system cannot respond and to email with the provided email address. The email was returned as no delivery to said address. Since Roxio cannot provide any support does someone else have a solution?
Thanks!
Browse this forum. There are many posts about users having problems receiving a video or an audio signal. My only tips are to 1) connect the USB device to the Mac after launching the application, 2) connect to a USB port on the Mac and not through a USB hub and 3) make sure you select the S-video or composite video as the Input Source in the Settings section of the application window that is correct for the type of connection you made. Lastly, choose Medium Quality (presuming you solve the video problem) to assure your audio is in sync with the video.

#8 wdjudd

wdjudd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

View Posttsantee, on 27 January 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Near the start of 2012 Roxio replaced the application used with the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac with a new app called "Roxio Video Capture." This new app looks very different and changes the video-encoding format. Also, Toast 9 Basic is no longer included with the device.

It appears Roxio renamed this product as "Roxio Video Capture USB for Mac." The new Roxio Video Capture app is better for capturing video for playback on computers and uploading to the Internet and less convenient for making video DVDs (although the videos still can be made into video DVD discs by using iDVD or recent versions of Toast or Popcorn). An article published January 24 on Roxio's MyMoments site refers to the product's new name but mistakenly shows the steps for using the previous application rather than the new application.

Currently, the previous Easy VHS to DVD for Mac app is available for download from Roxio's software updates page. That app records video in the MPEG 2 format required for video DVDs.

The new Roxio Video Capture app captures using Apple Intermediate Codec in High-quality mode and H.264 MPEG 4 format in Medium- and Low-Quality modes. The A.I.C. files are quite large: about 100 megabytes per minute of video whereas the others are about 14.5 and 8 megabytes per minute, respectively. The medium-quality has only a 18.76 fps frame rate rather than the other two modes which are the full 29.97 fps. It makes the medium-quality playback jerky although it reduces file sizes. The Low-quality is 320x240 pixels rather than 640x480 for the other two. The high-quality mode cannot be imported directly to iTunes. It needs conversion using QuickTime Player or iMovie to be compatible with import to iTunes. The medium and low quality captures can be directly imported to iTunes at the end of the recording.

A nice feature of the new app is a built-in trimmer for marking segments to be skipped when "finishing" the movie.

Because the two apps are so very different it is very important to mention which of the two capture applications you are using when you post questions in this forum.

I am using Easy VHS to DVD Capture 1.0.5.  How can I get Roxio Video Capture version 2.0.1 (134), and with the correct drivers?  I m using two different OS - 10.6.8 and 10.7.5
​
​Also, Easy VHS to DVD Capture 1.0.5 only has two settings - High and Normal - no Medium.

Edited by wdjudd, 08 March 2014 - 03:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users