• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 jleecole

jleecole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

I am trying to burn some files to DVD that are apparently longer than 128 characters, and I would prefer to not rename the files. I am using Roxio Creator 2012, and based on other posts I have read I have changed the project settings to UDF and no bridge. I also unchecked the validate files option, and I am still getting an error that the file cannot be written because it is longer than 128 characters. Any suggestions? thanks.

Attached File  project settings.jpg   111.92K   2 downloadsAttached File  file name change.jpg   88.81K   3 downloads

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,580 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Keep in mind that the "file name" includes every character in the path to reach it:

For example, "Reg Fix1.jpg" is not simply 12 Characters...

"C:\Copy\V14 - 2012\Critical Registry\Reg Fix\Reg Fix1.jpg"

But actually 57  :o

Still, I would think that by changing it to UDF & No Bridge it should be good to go <_<

It is not a Split Disc Project is it?

2 alternatives:

1. Use Burn Data Disc instead

2. Move your files closer to the Root of the drive, reducing the 'File Name'

Posted Image

#3 jleecole

jleecole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

When I have UDF and no bridge, I am still getting the message that the filename cannot be longer than 128 characters..

#4 jleecole

jleecole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

Also, when I do the 'burn data disk' option, and change the file system to ISO Level 2 -  212 Characters, I still get an error saying that the file names are too long, and that they are longer than 106 characters. The one that I looked at was 187 characters so why wouldn't I be able to use the ISO Level 2? Does it have to do with the disk being open vs. closed?

and to answer the last post since I forgot when I replied before, I am not spanning disks..

#5 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,580 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

This is all I have anymore since this 'problem' disappeared' many years ago :huh:

UDF Directory Limits

Directory Size - 263
Sub-directories per Directory - 215 sub-directories
Directory Name - 256 bytes

UDF File Limits

File Extent Size - 229
File Size - 263 bytes
File Name - 256 bytes

The disc MUST BE BLANK! (no open or closed otherwise it reverts to the original settings in the case of sessions)

Generally there are 2 things causing this - your PATH is too long (move the directory up the tree!)

Or you have an invalid character in there... :glare: Not ALL Characters that are acceptible to FAT xx & NTFS HDD's are acceptible to Optical Media :o

Look for that and try shorting the Path. Let us know???
Posted Image

#6 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,580 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

Following along...

I checked with another Guru (Brendon) to see if he could see something I overlooked... He was suspecting that there may be an invalid character in the portions you covered up in your screen cap.

I counted characters in the screen cap you provided and came up with 227 :o  I tried not to count any that were duplicated and estimated the number for the areas you had to cover up... - shaky I admit ;) But far more than the 187 you said you saw...

I can understand your need for privacy but you can check the count quickly on your PC by just clicking and copying the Explorer Path Box:

Attached File  Image1.jpg   114.45K   0 downloads

Then paste it into a new Word document. Click on the Review tab and select Word Count:

[indent=1]Attached File  Image2.jpg   205.29K   0 downloads
(Characters (with spaces) is the one your are after + the file name count) ;)
Posted Image

#7 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,418 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

When I tried this with Creator 2012, Creator let me use a filename in C:\ [root] that was 127 characters long under UDF102 with Joliet bridge or UDF102 with no bridge, but when I tried one that was 128 characters Creator objected and reduced it to 126.

It would seem that the software is serious about enforcing its 128 character limit.

Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#8 GabrielNar

GabrielNar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

before burn some files to DVD that are apparently longer than 128 characters try to close application that uses the file, list this files and paths which have file path more than 200 characters long and then with, i had the same issue and Long Path Tool helped me in this situation. http://PathTooDeep.com

#9 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,418 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

GabrielNar,

The original poster hasn't been back since February after his questions were answered, so you're 'necroposting' to an inactive topic.

Once you know your path limits, shortening a path is quite easy to do manually through Windows Explorer without having to resort to a commercial program that you have to pay for.

Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,580 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

A $419 ($517 for Commercial) solution for the Rare occurance of 'Longfilename' :huh: :huh: :huh:

We appriciate a solution but fumigating your home after spotting one fruit fly is a bit extreme ;)
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users