15 replies to this topic

#1 Toji

Toji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi all,

I just upgraded to version 3 and I am not getting any sound. Yesterday I was doing transfers from VHS to my computer using an older version and it all worked fine.  This morning I upgraded to version 3 and using the same tape and set up as yesterday I have no sound when I capture the video.

Any help is appreciated in troubleshooting this problem.

Thanks

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,697 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostToji, on 07 February 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Hi all,

I just upgraded to version 3 and I am not getting any sound. Yesterday I was doing transfers from VHS to my computer using an older version and it all worked fine.  This morning I upgraded to version 3 and using the same tape and set up as yesterday I have no sound when I capture the video.

Any help is appreciated in troubleshooting this problem.

Thanks

Have you reset your audio device capture in Windows?
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 Toji

Toji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

View Postsknis, on 07 February 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Have you reset your audio device capture in Windows?

No, I hadn't, but thanks, I found it and fixed it.

Edited by Toji, 07 February 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#4 ivanatrox

ivanatrox

• Administrators
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostToji, on 07 February 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

No, I hadn't, but thanks, I found it and fixed it.

Hi Toji,

Can you let us know what was wrong and how you fixed it?

Thanks!

Ivan
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !

#5 Toji

Toji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

View Postivanatrox, on 07 February 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

Hi Toji,

Can you let us know what was wrong and how you fixed it?

Thanks!

Ivan

Hi again,

Actually, I thought it was fixed because I could hear sound but unfortunately, the sound is not being saved with the video in the project so it's not fixed.

I went into Control Panel / Hardware & Sound / Manage Audio Devices and double clicked on the USB line.  Then I checked the box for "listen to this device".  That allowed me to hear the video that was being recorded to my computer but as I said above, the audio is not being saved as part of the project, when I play it back, no sound.

So, how do I go about reseting the audio capture in Windows?

#6 ivanatrox

ivanatrox

• Administrators
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostToji, on 07 February 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

Hi again,

Actually, I thought it was fixed because I could hear sound but unfortunately, the sound is not being saved with the video in the project so it's not fixed.

I went into Control Panel / Hardware & Sound / Manage Audio Devices and double clicked on the USB line.  Then I checked the box for "listen to this device".  That allowed me to hear the video that was being recorded to my computer but as I said above, the audio is not being saved as part of the project, when I play it back, no sound.

So, how do I go about reseting the audio capture in Windows?

Hi Toji,

Do you have audio when you preview it in Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus before capturing?

Thanks

Ivan

#7 Toji

Toji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

View Postivanatrox, on 07 February 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Hi Toji,

Do you have audio when you preview it in Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus before capturing?

Thanks

Ivan

If I have the USB device set to "listen to this device", then yes, I can hear the audio before I start the capture, and I can even hear it while the video is being captured, but after I stop the recording and Process and save the project, there is no sound when I play the video from my computer.

If I don't have the USB device set to "listen to this device" which is the default, then I can't hear anything before or after capture

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Is it set to RECORD with the USB Device?
Posted Image

#9 Toji

Toji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 07 February 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

Is it set to RECORD with the USB Device?
Yes, if you mean the program, it's recording video just not audio.  If you are asking if something else is set to record with the device, I'm not sure where to check.

#10 NY40@SF

NY40@SF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostToji, on 07 February 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Yes, if you mean the program, it's recording video just not audio.  If you are asking if something else is set to record with the device, I'm not sure where to check.

I had a similar experience. I noticed that I couldn't hear the sound at preview initially. But I recorded a video anyway. After the video was recorded, I was able to hear audio with the video though. Then I switched back to "Home" step and then clicked on Record, Edit and Share again. I was able to hear the audio at the 2nd time. Give it a try and see if this works for you.

#11 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

View PostToji, on 07 February 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

2 areas I want you to look at.

First is the Recording Level setting within the EVD 3 program. It takes a high setting for the audio to show up! :huh:

Attached File  Video Record Audio Levels 1.jpg   213.76K   5 downloads

Attached File  Video Record Audio Levels 2.jpg   213.73K   1 downloads

The other area is Windows itself...

Right Click Speaker and select Recording Devices:

Attached File  Win7 Recording Devices.jpg   16.01K   3 downloads

Under the Recording tab, make sure the Roxio USB Device is showing and is Selected!

Attached File  Win7 Sound Recording tab.jpg   46.31K   3 downloads

Then Left Click the Speaker and select Mixer. Make sure the recording volume is UP for the Roxio USB Device ;)

Attached File  Windows Mixer.jpg   34.46K   3 downloads

See if that does the trick for you.
Posted Image

#12 Toji

Toji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:41 AM

The recording level was set to max, but I had not changed the default recording device.  Changing that has fixed the problem.  

Thanks!

#13 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

View PostToji, on 08 February 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

The recording level was set to max, but I had not changed the default recording device.  Changing that has fixed the problem.  

Thanks!
COOL!

I love it when it is easy :lol:
Posted Image

#14 ivanatrox

ivanatrox

• Administrators
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostToji, on 08 February 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

Thanks!

Good to hear. It looks like the device needs a refresh to get it going. I'll keep that in mind moving forward.

Ivan

#15 Robert53

Robert53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

View Postivanatrox, on 08 February 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

Good to hear. It looks like the device needs a refresh to get it going. I'll keep that in mind moving forward.

Ivan
I had the exact same problem, and it appears to have been resolved by this as well - thanks.

What I fail to understand is that when I uninstalled version 3 and put back version 2, it all just worked... as it should. Doesn't this mean you guys have a bad installer going out with the version 3 upgrade? Either that or you have a great new program feature that disables the audio automatically. Failing that, your wonderfully simple "Setup guide" is a waste of space.

I contacted support directly for help with this problem, and all I got was the USB ports aren't good enough, or they need new drivers. No mention of Windows Recording devices settings, and no apparent comprehension that the hardware was working perfectly before the version 3 upgrade.

Somehow I expected better of Roxio software, and I am disappointed.

#16 ivanatrox

ivanatrox

• Administrators
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostRobert53, on 13 February 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

What I fail to understand is that when I uninstalled version 3 and put back version 2, it all just worked... as it should. Doesn't this mean you guys have a bad installer going out with the version 3 upgrade?

It looks like a driver issue for the old hardware with the upgraded software. We are currently looking to area where we can improve on that so that users don't have to do anything to make it work.

Ivan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users