• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SteveHookEm

SteveHookEm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

I am importing mini DV tape directly into Toast 8 via Firewire. I choose to burn immediately. The resulting DVD looks perfect but there is NO AUDIO!

What am I doing wrong?

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

That strange. Toast shouldn't have trouble with the audio stream in a DV video source. There are source audio formats where the perian codec (www.perian.org) is needed in order for Toast to encode the audio properly. I don't expect that is needed here, but it's worth a try. Are you testing the DVD on a standalone DVD player or using the DVD Player app on your Mac? Do you know if your DV camcorder is set to record audio as 12 bit or 16 bit?
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 SteveHookEm

SteveHookEm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

I was playing it back on the Mac. These are old tapes that I am wanting to archive on DVD. I don't know how they were recorded (back to 1999). I have Perian installed. The audio comes through in iMovie and FCP perfectly. The DVD has no audio. Odd.

Any thoughts?

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostSteveHookEm, on 08 February 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I was playing it back on the Mac. These are old tapes that I am wanting to archive on DVD. I don't know how they were recorded (back to 1999). I have Perian installed. The audio comes through in iMovie and FCP perfectly. The DVD has no audio. Odd.

Any thoughts?
Check it on a standalone DVD Player. It may be that the Dolby Digital AC-3 audio that Toast encoded is not being read by the DVD Player application. I don't know why that would be the case. You also could try playing it on the Mac using VLC Media Player.

If you select DVD copy in Toast's Copy window and then choose the already-burned DVD you should be able to check if Toast recognizes the presence of an audio track. Click the button in the main Toast window where Toast lets you choose specific titles to Copy. There you should see an option to select a specific audio track. Since your DVD has only one audio track it should have some kind of description as to its format. If nothing appears then indeed there is no audio on the DVD. Let me know what you find.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 SteveHookEm

SteveHookEm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

Nothing inside the audio_ts folder. Nothing showing up in Toast at all.

#6 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostSteveHookEm, on 09 February 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

Nothing inside the audio_ts folder. Nothing showing up in Toast at all.
There never is anything in the AUDIO_TS folder. It is always empty. The audio is mixed with the video in the VOB's in the VIDEO_TS folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users