davethemedic

Creator 7 To Creator Pro 2012

Question

Hi Guys, I have a new HP 430 laptop. windows 7 IE9. and Roxio creator pro 2012.

On incerting some cdrw my system says they are blank. When I incert them im my old Neo HGL31 they are read ok (roxio creator 7).

I dont know if its a hardware problem or a soft ware problem or compatibility.

Processor: Intel®Corei3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.10GHZ

Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.85 usable)

System type: 32 bit Operating system

The cdrw's contain very important material, I would realy appreciate your help.

David Payne aka davethemedic

9 answers to this question

Hi Guys, I have a new HP 430 laptop. windows 7 IE9. and Roxio creator pro 2012.

On incerting some cdrw my system says they are blank. When I incert them im my old Neo HGL31 they are read ok (roxio creator 7).

I dont know if its a hardware problem or a soft ware problem or compatibility.

Processor: Intel®Corei3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.10GHZ

Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.85 usable)

System type: 32 bit Operating system

The cdrw's contain very important material, I would realy appreciate your help.

David Payne aka davethemedic

Probably wrote to disc with Drag To Disc (D2D)

You need to recover the data on those disc's and re-burn using Creator Classic in V 7 to a CD-R and close the disc's. That way they will be read in all PC's. UDF Packet Writing (D2D) some folks encountered problems and data loss. Do it now!

I don't see how D2D would not be readable in Win7??? All Windows OS's since Win 98 on have been able to read the UDF formated discs and Vista as well as Win7 can create thier own.

cd's solution is sound and what you should follow!

While you have it in Creator 7; Creator Classic, I belive it is under Tools where you can get Disc Info? (been a while ;) ) I am curious what that reports for the file system:

CDFS

CDUDFRW

CDUDFR

UDFRDR

Hi Jim,

If I can help Davethemedic, it's from the Home application, Tools > Extras and Utilities > Disc and Device Utility > Disc Properties.

What do you see where mine shows UDF, Dave?

post-208-051989900 1329948029.jpg

Edited by Brendon

Hi Jim,

If I can help Davethemedic, it's from the Home application, Tools > Extras and Utilities > Disc and Device Utility > Disc Properties.

What do you see where mine shows UDF, Dave?

post-208-051989900 1329948029.jpg

Hi Jim and Brendon, Thanks for your input, I am now aware of UDF etc and can now resolve the problem - I confess I was about ready to junk 2012, which would have been sad as I have successfully used creator 6 and 7 with older machines using Win98 and XP, I was beginning to think the new Win7 and IE9 were too much trouble. However creator 2012 is OK! It really was close nearly went to the enemy Nero! he he.

again thanks

davethemedic

Edited by davethemedic

How did you make your new computer see the old discs, Dave?

Hi Brendon, I wish I knew, I'm not sure I did anything actually. I did several things that might have done it; I used Ccleaner several times, I did a repair of Roxio creator 2012, and I reinstalled the driver (s) and I guess one of those actions did the trick. It is frustrating though I would really like to know for knowings sake and to know what to do if it happens again. I really hate not knowing.

Is that too many knowings? he he. I am not exactly new to computing but all that I do know is self taught, mostly by trial and much error. many times I have had to format C: and do a complete and reinstall windows. For that reason I don't like pre installed software and insist on the software when i have gotten a new PC or laptop. Here in the Philippines there all crooks they take out the discs reseal up the box and try to sell you the software separately. Theres no PC World here for help and advice.

One interesting thing I have learned here is that DVD writer drives do not last long here 2 yrs or so I think its the humidity. Many here use an external writer insted of buying a new int drive which is what I would do in the UK.

davethemedic

Edited by davethemedic

1. NEVER use a Reg Cleaner (they break more than they can ever fix)

2. See No. 1 :lol:

As you can see, there are several basic UDF formats and we didn't even get into versions. But keep this in mind, in general no one has lost data from a burned disc unless they used Packet Writing :huh:

A few of my CD's go back to 1997 (closed data CD's). Not a single Packet Writing disc has survived from that time... RW's are NOT Permanent! Packet Writing has proven to be less than reliable ;)

If it is worth saving to you, surely it is worth the cost of a good brand, 'R' CD or DVD...

UDF is fine, almost all of my discs are written using it. Packet Writing is the problem.

Hi Brendon, I wish I knew, I'm not sure I did anything actually. I did several things that might have done it; I used Ccleaner several times, I did a repair of Roxio creator 2012, and I reinstalled the driver (s) and I guess one of those actions did the trick. It is frustrating though I would really like to know for knowings sake and to know what to do if it happens again. I really hate not knowing.

<snip>

One interesting thing I have learned here is that DVD writer drives do not last long here 2 yrs or so I think its the humidity. Many here use an external writer insted of buying a new int drive which is what I would do in the UK.

It might well have been the repair of Creator 2012 or the driver reinstall which fixed it.

I use CCleaner at least once a day to keep my system in shape, and it has never broken anything for me but it does clean a lot of file garbage. I'm more careful when it comes to registry cleaners, and use only RegCleaner in single-time mode.

I agree about the humidity. In Samoa I found that VHS tapes which were left out of the air-con area of the house grew large patches of white mold on the edges of the tape after a couple of days. Military electronics have to be "tropicalized" with anti-fungal, anti-moisture coatings, so you can only guess what household electronics have to put up with.