• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kwood

kwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hi, I have vhs to dvd installed on a Dell/Lattitude, win7 everything works perfect!!!

same install media, cord....on a Samsung RV515,
The console initially was to big for the screen, worked around that by setting/changing the screen resolution so I can see all the Icons including the Record button.

All appears OK, but the burn/copy never ends.  VHS movie stopped, but the dvd does not.

Thoughts????

Kelly

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,856 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

View Postkwood, on 22 February 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Hi, I have vhs to dvd installed on a Dell/Lattitude, win7 everything works perfect!!!

The console initially was to big for the screen, worked around that by setting/changing the screen resolution so I can see all the Icons including the Record button.

All appears OK, but the burn/copy never ends.  VHS movie stopped, but the dvd does not.

Thoughts????

Kelly

If everything works perfectly  then why are you having problems?

First of all tell us what version of VHS2DVD you have as not all are compatible with W7. Read this

What do you mean by burn/copy never ends? How long is the video you are capturing? If 2 hours it can take several hours to prepare the video for burning.

Then explain what this means "same install media, cord....on a Samsung RV515,"

You need to supply a lot more inforamtion before anybody can understand what you are doing and why you are having problems

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,207 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

View Postkwood, on 22 February 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Thoughts????

Kelly

Also, It is better if you do the Capture as one step then do the Burn as another step using the Capture-Edit-Save. This way it copies to your hard drive and if everything is ok, then you burn. This way you don't waste  disc's.

#4 kwood

kwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Problem: I want/need this working on the Samsung RV515 Windows7 Laptop, not the Dell.

Version, latest/greatest! Roxio build 201B23A ENU

RE: mean by burn/copy never ends.
The burn hangs, I have to kill the roxio program.  Even if I enable a timer, the burn hangs, never stops...have to kill Roxio.
recorded a 2 hour movie, let it run for 4 then finally killed it...

Im using the same install media, same Roxio cables, same VCR , same movie as I did on the Dell that did work, no I cannot use the Dell, work laptop.  Using all exact same Roxio VHS2DVD setup from the Samsung on the Dell

The only difference is the laptop vendor, maybe OS Patch level (sorry I dont have that info on me this sec)
Verified the USB is version2 and current driver.  

So would I be best to look into the Samsungs Video and driver?
Windows Media Player version???
What else???

Happy to supply any information you need!!

RE: Capture as one step then do the Burn   Thanks, will try this

#5 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,856 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

View Postkwood, on 22 February 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Problem: I want/need this working on the Samsung RV515 Windows7 Laptop, not the Dell.

Version, latest/greatest! Roxio build 201B23A ENU

RE: mean by burn/copy never ends.
The burn hangs, I have to kill the roxio program.  Even if I enable a timer, the burn hangs, never stops...have to kill Roxio.
recorded a 2 hour movie, let it run for 4 then finally killed it...

Im using the same install media, same Roxio cables, same VCR , same movie as I did on the Dell that did work, no I cannot use the Dell, work laptop.  Using all exact same Roxio VHS2DVD setup from the Samsung on the Dell

The only difference is the laptop vendor, maybe OS Patch level (sorry I dont have that info on me this sec)
Verified the USB is version2 and current driver.  

So would I be best to look into the Samsungs Video and driver?
Windows Media Player version???
What else???

Happy to supply any information you need!!

RE: Capture as one step then do the Burn   Thanks, will try this

A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. Any longer and the video has to be highly compressed to fit on the DVD. Since you are trying to compress 2 hours of video, 4 hours may not be very long depending on your system. Maybe your Samsung is just not good enough.

Get some RW DVDs and do some experimenting with short 10-15 clips to see if that works.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
SoundMAX Digital Audio
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit

#6 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,883 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:04 AM

If you Laptop is similar to the one in this ad, the processor speed is at the minimum required for the program...

Image2.jpg

This would explain the long, long, processing time ;)

The screen res is the minimum required (1024 X 768 - BOTH numbers are required) If you are running at less than xxxx X 768, that would explain why the program is bigger than your screen :huh:

I didn't find what your graphics chip is, other than ATI Radon. Check on Samsung's site to make sure you have the latest software suite and drivers for that chip! (laptops often use custom drivers so going to AMD's site can be risky)

Still it might be worth a test of setting your V2D software (File - Preferences) from the default setting (hardware) to Software and see if the Render time improves...

Try the other suggestions offered here and let us know what happens.

FYI, Your Software is so 16 days ago :lol:

EVD 3 Plus (301B) came out this month. There is a $20 upgrade available to you but let's get your new install under control before worrying about that :D
Posted Image

#7 kwood

kwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

well finally got the Samsung back from the user....
I did a 10 minute times recording, after 10 minutes the video record stopped and went into "finishing , please wait this may take a few minutes"....killed the program after 60 minutes.

this config appears to not be perfect, but...as someone suggested I did a record then burn...

Record/Edit/Save to disk the VHS Movie (saved as WMI file...)

First Burn to DVD from Windows tools, image did burn to DVD and I was able to play on the laptop, DVD player errors "playback feature unavailable on this disk"

Back into Roxio, exported the image to the DVD and we have DVD and PC playback.
The Users not gonna be really happy, but we have a way for it to work, so she cant be totally disappointed!!

Thanks.

PS...The Model of the laptop is dead on CPU, memory....

#8 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,856 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

View Postkwood, on 10 March 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

well finally got the Samsung back from the user....
I did a 10 minute times recording, after 10 minutes the video record stopped and went into "finishing , please wait this may take a few minutes"....killed the program after 60 minutes.

this config appears to not be perfect, but...as someone suggested I did a record then burn...

Record/Edit/Save to disk the VHS Movie (saved as WMI file...)

First Burn to DVD from Windows tools, image did burn to DVD and I was able to play on the laptop, DVD player errors "playback feature unavailable on this disk"

Back into Roxio, exported the image to the DVD and we have DVD and PC playback.
The Users not gonna be really happy, but we have a way for it to work, so she cant be totally disappointed!!

Thanks.

PS...The Model of the laptop is dead on CPU, memory....

What is a WMI file? Or did you mean wmv? If so why did you choose that format? It has to be converted againif you want to create a DVD.
Why did you use Burn to DVD from Windows tool? Propably all you did is burn the file to a DVD as data which of course no DVD player can play. You have to create a proper video DVD (which consists of a Video_TS folder with some ifo,bup and vob files in it) with the correct program (myDVD). Apparently you did do that since you finally got a DVD playable on a DVD player.

I don't understand why the user should not be happy - she got a DVD that plays and you used the most reliable way to do it. Except that you should not be capturing to wmv (if that is what you did) but to DV avi or mpeg.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users