• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rmilling

rmilling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

I have installed/upgraded Roxio Creator products through several releases.  Now, when I run Program Updates the Update Manager comes up with a nearly blank window with just the top part visible.  Useful details are obscured so it's impossible to see what products/updates are available, etc.

The attached file is a screenshot snippit that clearly shows the problem.

Is there an update or other fix available or should I uninstall Update Manager?

Attached Files

Edited by rmilling, 22 February 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#2 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,062 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

View Postrmilling, on 22 February 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

I have installed/upgraded Roxio Creator products through several releases.  Now, when I run Program Updates the Update Manager comes up with a nearly blank window with just the top part visible.  Useful details are obscured so it's impossible to see what products/updates are available, etc.

The attached file is a screenshot snippit that clearly shows the problem.

Is there an update or other fix available or should I uninstall Update Manager?

What Roxio product and version # are you showing the updater for?
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#3 rmilling

rmilling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 22 February 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

What Roxio product and version # are you showing the updater for?

Currently, I have two Roxio products installed:  
  Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
  Roxio Easy LP to MP3

I had several prior versions of Roxio Creator on here but never saw the problem until recently.  Also, the problem was already present when I installed Easy LP to MP3 a few days ago.

Edited by rmilling, 22 February 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#4 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,062 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

View Postrmilling, on 22 February 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

Currently, I have two Roxio products installed:  
  Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
  Roxio Easy LP to MP3

I had several prior versions of Roxio Creator on here but never saw the problem until recently.  Also, the problem was already present when I installed Easy LP to MP3 a few days ago.

Maybe you didn't understand what I asked?

What Roxio Program pulled up this updater? From the programs Help, Check For Updates?

Or is it a entry in control panel left over from previous installs, what it looks like to me?
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#5 rmilling

rmilling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

View Postcdanteek, on 22 February 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

Maybe you didn't understand what I asked?

What Roxio Program pulled up this updater? From the programs Help, Check For Updates?

Or is it a entry in control panel left over from previous installs, what it looks like to me?

You are quite correct; I did not understand your question.

Two cases:  first, the Update Manager wakes up periodically on its own and tries to notify me of some available update.  I cannot see the notices or settings, so I do not know what applications it is configured to check, etc.   Second, I navigate to "Start", "Program Updates" and get the same unreadable display.  In the later case, if I leave the Update Manager running, after a couple of minutes I get a pop-up with notice to wait while Roxio East LP to MP3 is being configured then eventually a request to insert the product CD. Prior to installing Easy LP to MP3 a couple of weeks ago, the Update Manager simply popped up periodically with the unreadable display. I suppose I never let it run long enough to know if anything else would happen over time.

Programs -- Help, Check For Updates:  Navigating in this way, none of the programs left from prior installations (PhotoShow Express, BackOnTrack) or current program (Creator 2012 Pro, and Easy LP to MP3) invoke the Update Manager.  They seem to perform their own update check, directly.

Software Updates (Software Manager):  If I launch this directly, it seems to run normally.  I can check settingts and see that it is configured to perform update checks for multiple products including these from Roxio - BackOnTrack, Burn, CinePlayer, Creator 2012 Pro, Update Manager, and Easy LP to MP3.  <---- Why would Update Manager be listed here in the Software Manager update list????

I hope I got it right this time and that this information is useful.

Thanks for the help.

#6 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,062 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

View Postrmilling, on 23 February 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

You are quite correct; I did not understand your question.

Two cases:  first, the Update Manager wakes up periodically on its own and tries to notify me of some available update.  I cannot see the notices or settings, so I do not know what applications it is configured to check, etc.   Second, I navigate to "Start", "Program Updates" and get the same unreadable display.  In the later case, if I leave the Update Manager running, after a couple of minutes I get a pop-up with notice to wait while Roxio East LP to MP3 is being configured then eventually a request to insert the product CD. Prior to installing Easy LP to MP3 a couple of weeks ago, the Update Manager simply popped up periodically with the unreadable display. I suppose I never let it run long enough to know if anything else would happen over time.

Programs -- Help, Check For Updates:  Navigating in this way, none of the programs left from prior installations (PhotoShow Express, BackOnTrack) or current program (Creator 2012 Pro, and Easy LP to MP3) invoke the Update Manager.  They seem to perform their own update check, directly.

Software Updates (Software Manager):  If I launch this directly, it seems to run normally.  I can check settingts and see that it is configured to perform update checks for multiple products including these from Roxio - BackOnTrack, Burn, CinePlayer, Creator 2012 Pro, Update Manager, and Easy LP to MP3.  <---- Why would Update Manager be listed here in the Software Manager update list????

I hope I got it right this time and that this information is useful.

Thanks for the help.

It'a a old updater should have a entry in Control Panel the icon should look like this. Attached File  1.jpg   4.01K   0 downloads

Close/stop all running programs including antivirus/firewall and proceed below.

I would download Download and install the uninstall for Software Manager:

Download the Update Manager uninstaller and save it to your Desktop.

Double click SoftwareManagerUninstall.exe and follow the instructions to uninstall the Software Manager.

Note: The SoftwareManagerUninstall.exe only removes entries from the Windows registry which are responsible for starting the common software manager after a reboot. No files are actually removed.

http://consumerdocs....11006&sliceId=1

Attached File  2.jpg   177.84K   2 downloads
cd
Spoiler

#7 rmilling

rmilling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

I have a different icon showing up in Control Panel - see attached screenshot.  "Program Updates (32-bit)"

I have both "Program Updates" and "Software Updates" showing up in Start -> Programs.  

Only "Program Updates" (runs as "Update Manager") has the corrupted/blank display.  I have other, non-Roxio products installed that are set for updates via "Software Updates" that runs as "Software Manager".

Does the procedure that you describe affect both "Update Manager" and "Software Manager"?  More to the point, when I run the uninstaller, do the removed registry entries include those related to the non-Roxio products that use "Software Manager".  If not, then I would expect to then run the latest Flex Connect installer and have that pick up on the settings for updating those other applications.   (all Nuance products, by the way)

Sorry for all the questions.  Just trying to be clear.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

#8 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,062 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

View Postrmilling, on 23 February 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

I have a different icon showing up in Control Panel - see attached screenshot.  "Program Updates (32-bit)"

I have both "Program Updates" and "Software Updates" showing up in Start -> Programs.  

Only "Program Updates" (runs as "Update Manager") has the corrupted/blank display.  I have other, non-Roxio products installed that are set for updates via "Software Updates" that runs as "Software Manager".

Does the procedure that you describe affect both "Update Manager" and "Software Manager"?  More to the point, when I run the uninstaller, do the removed registry entries include those related to the non-Roxio products that use "Software Manager".  If not, then I would expect to then run the latest Flex Connect installer and have that pick up on the settings for updating those other applications.   (all Nuance products, by the way)

Sorry for all the questions.  Just trying to be clear.

Thanks for the help.

The pic you show is the same piece of garbage I'm talking about.

Why would I want it trying to update? It even did it when you told it not to update.

I sure wouldn't want to download and install another of there "the latest Flex Connect installer" I didn't want or need the first one!

If you want the "Update Manager Blank Window" to quit popping up I would do what I outlined.

You do what you want tho...
cd
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users