• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paprofessor

paprofessor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

I am using a Memorex DVD –R 16x 4.7GB/Go 120 min  and cant record a child’s VCR that is 83 minutes in duration. I get about 63 minutes. Do I need to use  different DVD? If so what specs do I look for?

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

paprofessor, on 22 February 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

I am using a Memorex DVD –R 16x 4.7GB/Go 120 min  and cant record a child's VCR that is 83 minutes in duration. I get about 63 minutes. Do I need to use  different DVD? If so what specs do I look for?

There is really no such thing as a 120 minute DVD (it is a marketing ploy).  Just like for VHS tapes, the length of the video you can put on the DVD/Tape depends on the quality of the video you are recording.
On a 4.7GB DVD you can only burn 60 minutes of  video at best quality. Any longer and the video gets compressed and you lose quality. For a "120 min DVD" you would get the lowest quality.

Since your video is only 83 minutes you can use a next lower quality setting and you will propably not notice much difference.  IN general the video from VHS is not the  best quality anyway and trying to squeeze long VHS video on a 60 minute,best quality  DVD is not a good idea.

BTW, Memorex discs are considered almost bottom-of-the barrel in quality. Not all DVDs are equal in quality, just like with most things you get what you pay for. In general Verbatims and Taiyo Yudens are consdered excellent quality but even there are differences dpending on where they are manufactured.

Edited by myguggi, 22 February 2012 - 04:57 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 paprofessor

paprofessor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

myguggi, on 22 February 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

There is really no such thing as a 120 minute DVD (it is a marketing ploy).  Just like for VHS tapes, the length of the video you can put on the DVD/Tape depends on the quality of the video you are recording.
On a 4.7GB DVD you can only burn 60 minutes of  video at best quality. Any longer and the video gets compressed and you lose quality. For a "120 min DVD" you would get the lowest quality.

Since your video is only 83 minutes you can use a next lower quality setting and you will propably not notice much difference.  IN general the video from VHS is not the  best quality anyway and trying to squeeze long VHS video on a 60 minute,best quality  DVD is not a good idea.

BTW, Memorex discs are considered almost bottom-of-the barrel in quality. Not all DVDs are equal in quality, just like with most things you get what you pay for. In general Verbatims and Taiyo Yudens are consdered excellent quality but even there are differences dpending on where they are manufactured.
Thanks for the coaching......... I just checked the properties and the disc is full...........sam e answer reduce qualty and the less space is generated

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,100 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

paprofessor, on 22 February 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

Thanks for the coaching......... I just checked the properties and the disc is full...........sam e answer reduce qualty and the less space is generated
Yes but keep in mind you are starting with the lower quality of a VHS Tape! Taking it down really hurts  :huh:

A consideration would be to change to the 8.5 GB DL discs... They hold nearly twice as much but you need to make sure your Burner can burn them!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users