8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim B

Jim B

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

I have a production in video wave that I want to split into two separate productions. Exactly how do I do that? I'm going to need step by step instructions please.

Thanks, Jim B.
ZT systems Affinity 7645Mi desktop
Sony SDM-HS94 TFT flat screen monitor
Intel I5-2320 3 GHz processor
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
2 TB HD
NVIDiA GeForce 9400 GI graphics card
22X DVD±RW
Creator 2012 ver 13.5
Magnavox ZC320MW8B video recorder

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,567 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostJim B, on 24 February 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

I have a production in video wave that I want to split into two separate productions. Exactly how do I do that? I'm going to need step by step instructions please.

Thanks, Jim B.

It somewhat depends on what you want to do with each segment and in what form you have the project

Is it still a Videowave project file or have you exported the project as a video file?

Edited by myguggi, 24 February 2012 - 02:04 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 Jim B

Jim B

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 24 February 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

It somewhat depends on what you want to do with each segment and in what form you have the project

Is it still a Videowave project file or have you exported the project as a video file?
Thanks for the quick reply
I hope what follows is not too murky.

The TV program I recorded contains two episodes, 5 and 8. I have other recordings of the same program which have episodes that are out of order. I want to separate the episodes so I can burn them to DVD's in order. I have exported the video I want to split to a video file. So far, I have deleted the one episode and saved it as a new DMSM file then did the same with the other episode. I surmise that, in order for the DMSM files to work, there must be an exported video file for them to refer to. I was hoping there was a way to select the tracks that make up one of the episodes and export them as a ISO file to burn to a DVD later. I'd like to bypass the lengthy process of exporting a video and going through the process I described above

Jim
16 GB DDR3 Memory
2 TB HD
22X DVD±RW
Creator 2012 ver 13.5

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,567 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostJim B, on 24 February 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Thanks for the quick reply
I hope what follows is not too murky.

The TV program I recorded contains two episodes, 5 and 8. I have other recordings of the same program which have episodes that are out of order. I want to separate the episodes so I can burn them to DVD's in order. I have exported the video I want to split to a video file. So far, I have deleted the one episode and saved it as a new DMSM file then did the same with the other episode. I surmise that, in order for the DMSM files to work, there must be an exported video file for them to refer to. I was hoping there was a way to select the tracks that make up one of the episodes and export them as a ISO file to burn to a DVD later. I'd like to bypass the lengthy process of exporting a video and going through the process I described above

Jim

You are describing a completely situation now.

i have no idea what you mean by this: " I was hoping there was a way to select the tracks that make up one of  the episodes and export them as a ISO file to burn to a DVD later|"
There is only one track available.

In what format was the video originally recorded?
When you export to a new file, you are given the option to specify the name and location of the exported video file. If you want to burn to a DVD for playing on a DVD player then you should specify DVD mpeg, best quality for output.
BTW, you can only put 60 minutes of video on a standard 4.7GB DVD at best quality. If the video is longer it will be compressed and you lose quality.

Since you have devided you source file into 2 different project files they can be directly added to myDVD and burned to DVD or to an iso file (for later DVD burning)

Unless your recorded video is already in the required DVD compliant format, all video will have to be encoded to make it compliant. There is no way around this process.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
SoundMAX Digital Audio
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit

#5 Jim B

Jim B

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 24 February 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

You are describing a completely situation now.

i have no idea what you mean by this: " I was hoping there was a way to select the tracks that make up one of  the episodes and export them as a ISO file to burn to a DVD later|"
There is only one track available.

I'll try to explain my use of the term tracks. My process is as follows: 1. Import the recording. 2. Open it in videowave. 3. split the timeline view at the beginning and end of each commercial. 4. delete the the part that contains the commercial and so on to the end of the recording. After I edit the recording and remove the commercials, it is split into a number of separate panels or scenes, (If I click on one of them and then click "internal tracks", I get a view of that track (Roxio's term). Hence my use of the word track. My bottom line question is, can I select a group of them and burn that group as an ISO file?
16 GB DDR3 Memory
2 TB HD
22X DVD±RW
Creator 2012 ver 13.5

#6 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,567 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostJim B, on 24 February 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I'll try to explain my use of the term tracks. My process is as follows: 1. Import the recording. 2. Open it in videowave. 3. split the timeline view at the beginning and end of each commercial. 4. delete the the part that contains the commercial and so on to the end of the recording. After I edit the recording and remove the commercials, it is split into a number of separate panels or scenes, (If I click on one of them and then click "internal tracks", I get a view of that track (Roxio's term). Hence my use of the word track. My bottom line question is, can I select a group of them and burn that group as an ISO file?

Your interpretation of tracks and internal tracks  is completely wrong. When you are in the timeline view you will see several tracks: the "native video" and "native audio" tracks as well as a number of other tracks such as different audio tracksm special effects and overlays. On these tracks you can add audio clips, effects and overlays which will be "merged" with the native tracks. When you select a video segment and then select "internal tracks" all you are is restricting you additions of audio, effects, etc only to that video segment. You cannot select any of those tracks and "burn" them to any kind of DVD or encode to a file.

When you burn, everything that you see in the timeline is included in the burn.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#7 Jim B

Jim B

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 24 February 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Your interpretation of tracks and internal tracks  is completely wrong. When you are in the timeline view you will see several tracks: the "native video" and "native audio" tracks as well as a number of other tracks such as different audio tracksm special effects and overlays. On these tracks you can add audio clips, effects and overlays which will be "merged" with the native tracks. When you select a video segment and then select "internal tracks" all you are is restricting you additions of audio, effects, etc only to that video segment. You cannot select any of those tracks and "burn" them to any kind of DVD or encode to a file.

When you burn, everything that you see in the timeline is included in the burn.

Thanks. I've got it now they're called segments and I can't collect a group of them and burn that group to a video file.
Let me ask this. can I split a video in half (creating two segments) and burn only one of them to a file?
16 GB DDR3 Memory
2 TB HD
22X DVD±RW
Creator 2012 ver 13.5

#8 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,567 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostJim B, on 24 February 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

Thanks. I've got it now they're called segments and I can't collect a group of them and burn that group to a video file.
Let me ask this. can I split a video in half (creating two segments) and burn only one of them to a file?

Of course you can burn a group of segments to a video file. As I said everything that you see on the timeline or storyline will be burned to a DVD or a video file.
On the storyline view , each panel represents one segment while in the timeline view the segments start with a thumbnail.

Launch Videowave and add the video file you want to split. Do the split and then save your project as "Full Project.dmsm"
Then select the right segment and delete it. Now you can export the remaining segment to a video file.
You then open the previously full project file again and delete the 1st segment and then export to another video file.

You now how split the original video file into video files.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#9 Jim B

Jim B

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

Thanks. The full length video contains two episodes but they're out of order. By splitting it and burning the two halves to separate video files, I can put them in order. I've been using the method you suggest and it's been working fine. My problem was figuring out how to do it.
16 GB DDR3 Memory
2 TB HD
22X DVD±RW
Creator 2012 ver 13.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users