4 replies to this topic

#1 gatownsend

gatownsend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

I gave a friend a bunch of HD videos we had shot of our kids, and he authored a really nice blu-ray for us (at the time I only had a DVD burner).  My mother-in-law would like a copy, but she only has a DVD player.  I recently acquired a blu-ray drive for my PC, and wanted to make a copy of the disk, but the software that came with the drive doesn't appear to take the blue ray and compress it to DVD size.   Can Creator Pro 2012 do this?  I have Creator Pro 2010, but haven't wanted to upgrade until now.  I ripped the blu-ray to hard drive to see if I could use disk copy, but 2010 won't handle the blu-ray folders on my hard drive.  Can I do what I want with 2012 (either blu-ray disk to DVD, or blu-ray folders on my HD to DVD)?

Thanks,

Gary
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,883 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

View Postgatownsend, on 25 February 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

I gave a friend a bunch of HD videos we had shot of our kids, and he authored a really nice blu-ray for us (at the time I only had a DVD burner).  My mother-in-law would like a copy, but she only has a DVD player.  I recently acquired a blu-ray drive for my PC, and wanted to make a copy of the disk, but the software that came with the drive doesn't appear to take the blue ray and compress it to DVD size.   Can Creator Pro 2012 do this?  I have Creator Pro 2010, but haven't wanted to upgrade until now.  I ripped the blu-ray to hard drive to see if I could use disk copy, but 2010 won't handle the blu-ray folders on my hard drive.  Can I do what I want with 2012 (either blu-ray disk to DVD, or blu-ray folders on my HD to DVD)?

Thanks,

Gary

You can't just copy the video from a Blue-Ray disc to a DVD and expect to play it on a DVD player. It is a completely different video format. You have to re-encode the BlurRay video into standard DVD mpeg2 video to be able to burn it to a standard DVD.

What do you mean by C2010 can't handle the bluray folders? Whast have you tried so far?
Can you add the BlueRay video to your C2010 Videowave?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 gatownsend

gatownsend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 25 February 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

You can't just copy the video from a Blue-Ray disc to a DVD and expect to play it on a DVD player. It is a completely different video format. You have to re-encode the BlurRay video into standard DVD mpeg2 video to be able to burn it to a standard DVD.

What do you mean by C2010 can't handle the bluray folders? Whast have you tried so far?
Can you add the BlueRay video to your C2010 Videowave?

When I said "compress to a DVD" I meant re-encode it...bad choice of words on my part.  I realize the folder structures are different.  I just went back into 2010 and tried this agian - I think I didn't look hard enough the first time.  I just tried the Copy & Convert program again and got it to work.

Thanks,

Gary

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,105 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

As long as the disc is not copy protected it is pretty easy to do BUT it is mostly a manual process ;)

If you want a NO Menu DVD, it is probably easiest to use Video Copy and Convert.

Set to Convert Video tab, Output to DVD then Click Movies.

Direct it to the BDMV folder, STREAM and pick all the xxx.MTS files in there. (these are on the BD disc)

Attached File  VCC - Add BD Movie Files.jpg   129.72K   0 downloads

Preview them to make sure they are in order and not a Menu file for the BD - you can move them up or down as needed.

Then Burn your project to DVD ;)

IF you want to produce a Menu for your DVD, you could use the Make DVDs.

If you have an DVD RW disc at hand they are good for trying these things out on before committing to DVD R ;)
Posted Image

#5 gatownsend

gatownsend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

Thanks Jim.  I had just figured that out a bit before you posted.  Having only worked previously with DVDs, I was incorrectly using Disc Copier (I had seemed to recall it would take DVD9 down to a DVD5).  I haven't done something like this in ages (probably even before Creator 2010), and at some point I got it in my head that with a DVD I could pick the VIDEO_TS folder and then work from there.  Trying that with the blu-ray data I ripped to the hard drive obviously wasn't working.

I got it straight after a little trial and error and now have an DVD iso on my hard disk I'm going to play with in a DVD-RW before I commit to a +R or -R.

Thanks again,

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users