• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hawaii Jim

Hawaii Jim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

I am using Easy VHS to DVD for Mac version 1.0.5 on a MacBook Pro with OS 10.6.8. The software crashes every time and locks up after a recording is stopped while creating the .mpg file or after finishing creating the .mpg file but before it allows me to send it to Toast, iMovie, etc.  Essentially, I cannot get any VHS tape recorded and converted to DVD. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,595 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

I haven't had this happen so I don't know what might be the cause. You should still be able to access the .mpg file in the Easy VHS to DVD Capture folder in your Movies folder. However, if you don't have another application that converts MPEG 2 video to MPEG 4 you can only send to iMovie at the completion of the recording when the app presents that option (without crashing of course). The .mpg file should work by dragging into the Toast Video window unless it got corrupted at the end of the recording. Let me know if its there and if it works.

Go to your User>Library>Preferences folder and look for the following file: com.roxio.EasyVHStoDVDCapture.plist. Drag it to the trash. I found one that also was called com.roxio.EasyVHStoDVDCapture.plist.lockfile that shouldn't be there after quitting the application. So I trashed it, too. When you relaunch Easy VHS to DVD for Mac it will create a new preference file and maybe that will cure the problem.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 72vetteguy

72vetteguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

I am also having the same issue. Easy VHS to DVD, freezes at the end of the "wait a moment" screen. I end using the "force quit". The file is in the Easy VHS to DVD folder as *.mpg and plays fine in quicktime. I want to edit it and burn to DVD. I am also new to Mac and when I go to user/library/preference I only see "com.apple.*" files.
Hope someone can help. IMac os 10.7.3, Roxio ver 1.0.5 (5135)
Thanks
Rick

Edited by 72vetteguy, 29 February 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,595 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

View Post72vetteguy, on 29 February 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

I am also having the same issue. Easy VHS to DVD, freezes at the end of the "wait a moment" screen. I end using the "force quit". The file is in the Easy VHS to DVD folder as *.mpg and plays fine in quicktime. I want to edit it and burn to DVD. I am also new to Mac and when I go to user/library/preference I only see "com.apple.*" files.
Hope someone can help. IMac os 10.7.3, Roxio ver 1.0.5 (5135)
Thanks
Rick
Does it freeze after clicking send to iMovie? If so, it didn't actually freeze. The application is behind-the-scenes converting the video to a format readable by iMovie and this can take a long time. Do you have a full version or Toast or Popcorn or are you using the Toast 9 Basic? If you have a full version you can use its trimming feature to clip the MPEG file so it doesn't need to be converted to iMovie or QuickTime. Keeping it in MPEG 2 format is a big time-saver when making video DVDs.

You also can trim MPEG 2 video using the MPEG Streamclip which is freeware but requires Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component. The trimmed MPEG 2 file from Streamclip can be used in Toast 9 Basic to make a video DVD.

I can fill you in on what doesn't make sense right now. Just ask.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 72vetteguy

72vetteguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Looks like the issue is with the size of the recording. The 2 problems were with videos over 45min. It worked OK with videos 5-15 min.
The freezing occurred before the option to pick iMovie was displayed at the finish up option.

Edited by 72vetteguy, 01 March 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#6 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,595 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

View Post72vetteguy, on 01 March 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

Looks like the issue is with the size of the recording. The 2 problems were with videos over 45min. It worked OK with videos 5-15 min.
The freezing occurred before the option to pick iMovie was displayed at the finish up option.
I don't know what is the cause for this or what to do to prevent it. Roxio has abandoned the Easy VHS to DVD application and replaced it with the Roxio Video Capture application which is superior in may ways, except for some reports of audio sync problems. However, Roxio hasn't posted the new app for download by users who purchased the device with the older app. Since you are having this trouble I suggest contacting Roxio Customer Service and asking them for a link where you can download the new application. I don't know what their plan is to offer the new app to existing users. It captures in formats readable by iMovie rather than in MPEG 2 format.

#7 jackw

jackw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

I am having the same problem with the program importing the file and then freezing on the One Moment Please... screen when the thermometer shows that it is finished (even after allowing it to continue all night).  The file does appear top be created in the Movies>Easy VHS to DVD folder.  No way to tell it to edit with iMovie.  

I threw away the plist as suggested and am trying another import, but I am not very hopeful.  I have also sent in a ticket to Support.  We'll see if I get a response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users