Sign in to follow this  
MartyP

Does Toast 11 Run 64 Bit On 64 Bit Processors?

Question

I don't see any mention of Toast 11 taking advantage of 64 bit processors on the Roxio site. Is it possible that after all these years a video encoding app like Toast still doesn't support 64 bit?

1 answer to this question

I don't see any mention of Toast 11 taking advantage of 64 bit processors on the Roxio site. Is it possible that after all these years a video encoding app like Toast still doesn't support 64 bit?

Looks like it runs 32 bit. Compare Toast:

Cambyses:~ prl$ file /Applications/Toast\ 11\ Titanium/Toast\ Titanium.app/Contents/MacOS/Toast\ Titanium 
/Applications/Toast 11 Titanium/Toast Titanium.app/Contents/MacOS/Toast Titanium: Mach-O executable i386
Cambyses:~

With a native Lion app:

Cambyses:~ prl$ file /Applications/iCal.app/Contents/MacOS/iCal                
/Applications/iCal.app/Contents/MacOS/iCal: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/Applications/iCal.app/Contents/MacOS/iCal (for architecture x86_64):   Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
/Applications/iCal.app/Contents/MacOS/iCal (for architecture i386):     Mach-O executable i386
Cambyses:~ prl$ 

i386 is 32-bit code; x86_64 is 64-bit code. Toast only has 32-bit code; iCal has both 32-bit and 64-bit code and should execute the correct one for the machine architecture.