3 replies to this topic

#1 Skindy

Skindy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

I'm using a method I read about here where I export to a video file so I can share my work before it's finished.  I also am using these files to create the movie (splice it all together) in VideoWave once they have been perfected.  (I am creating one long movie out of various segments and don't want chapters.)  It seems to be working rather well, allowing me to swap out a segment if I need to alter something.  I have been saving these files in HD EP quality, but had no idea which one of the many to choose.  Ultimately, I want a finished movie that will play through a DVD player/TV as well as on the computer.  If how I save a video file makes no difference to the final rendering then I should be fine.  However, I would like to know what the difference between the various formats is and why you would choose one over another.  Thanks a bunch.
Cindy

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostSkindy, on 02 March 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

I'm using a method I read about here where I export to a video file so I can share my work before it's finished.  I also am using these files to create the movie (splice it all together) in VideoWave once they have been perfected.  (I am creating one long movie out of various segments and don't want chapters.)  It seems to be working rather well, allowing me to swap out a segment if I need to alter something.  I have been saving these files in HD EP quality, but had no idea which one of the many to choose.  Ultimately, I want a finished movie that will play through a DVD player/TV as well as on the computer.  If how I save a video file makes no difference to the final rendering then I should be fine.  However, I would like to know what the difference between the various formats is and why you would choose one over another.  Thanks a bunch.
Cindy

Of course which format you save your videos will make a difference when you finally create your DVD. The format you choose also depends on the format of your source material.

A standard video DVD  has video in the mpeg-2 format and that is the format you should choose for your exported video. Exporting to higher quality (such as HD) does not gain you anything since the format will be reduced again for the DVD. Also choosing lower quality means that once you have lost quality you can not get it back when you later choose the DVD.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,448 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

Just a caution,  if you try to put more than one hour of video on a single layer DVD, the quality will be reduced.  You can get almost 2 hours on a dual or double layer DVD. How much the reduction will be depends on how much over the one hour you go.

As Walt says the form has to be mpg2 unless you are going to use some highly compressed format like DivX.  Not all DVD player will play DivX.
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#4 Skindy

Skindy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Thanks. The entire production length is about 35 minutes, so I'm OK there and I'll use the mpeg2 for DVD output.  Really appreciate the help.  Good information as always.
Cindy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users