Jump to content

Roxio Community

Easy Vhs To Dvd


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel

Colonel

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

When I use the instructions for transfering a single VHS tape tp DVD (pages 15-17 of the manual), the program will not not finish.  It just keeps going on and on in the finishing stage.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,238 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Most of us use the Record-Edit-Save and don't bother with the Record DVD... it is just too high risk! You waste all that time thinking you are doing something only to have it fail in the last few minutes :huh:

By the way, a good number of us upgraded so we don't have a manual - thus Page 15-whatever is meaningless to us :lol:
Posted Image

#3 Colonel

Colonel

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:28 AM

OK, I did the record, edit, save and it won't export to the DVD burner.  Either I get a message saying "unknown error has occured and program will shut down", or it just locks up my computer and I have to re-boot.

Any ideas?

View PostJim_Hardin, on 05 March 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

Most of us use the Record-Edit-Save and don't bother with the Record DVD... it is just too high risk! You waste all that time thinking you are doing something only to have it fail in the last few minutes :huh:

By the way, a good number of us upgraded so we don't have a manual - thus Page 15-whatever is meaningless to us :lol:


#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,238 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:28 AM

Are you sure you actually have a DVD Burner?

Are you sure the disc is Blank?

After that comes:

Follow the Prep Steps to the letter!

Then start to Install the Program, only choose Repair when it is offered.
Posted Image

#5 Colonel

Colonel

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

Yes, I have a DVD burner.  I've used it with Windows Movie Maker numerous times.  The disk is brand new (Memorex), so it should be blank.  Actually, I've tried several new disks just to make sure it wasn't the media.

View PostJim_Hardin, on 06 March 2012 - 05:28 AM, said:

Are you sure you actually have a DVD Burner?

Are you sure the disc is Blank?

After that comes:

Follow the Prep Steps to the letter!

Then start to Install the Program, only choose Repair when it is offered.


#6 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,238 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Had to ask ~ you would be suprised :lol:

In all honesty, no one really uses Memorex... :(  Verbatim (Singapore Only) or Taiyo Yunden (JVC) is the way to go.

Do the Prep & Repair then, hoping that will fix all that is ill ;)
Posted Image

#7 Colonel

Colonel

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

I just noticed my videos were saved in MPEG format.  Is that normal or should they be in movie format?  Thanks

View PostJim_Hardin, on 06 March 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

Had to ask ~ you would be suprised :lol:

In all honesty, no one really uses Memorex... :(  Verbatim (Singapore Only) or Taiyo Yunden (JVC) is the way to go.

Do the Prep & Repair then, hoping that will fix all that is ill ;)


#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,238 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

What do you think "Movie Format" would be??? :huh:

ALL DVD Movies are mpeg2 and since there is No Choice for capture...
Posted Image

#9 Colonel

Colonel

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Actually, there are choices, WMV, MPEG2, and a couple others.  I ran repair and all I get now is "There was a problem wrting to the disk" error.  And if I knew what "movie format" is, I wouldn't be asking the question.  Unfortunately, Best Buy won't take this back, so I really need some advise in helping make this thing work.  If I wanted sarcasm, I'd ask my wife to help.

View PostJim_Hardin, on 07 March 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

What do you think "Movie Format" would be??? :huh:

ALL DVD Movies are mpeg2 and since there is No Choice for capture...


#10 myguggi

myguggi

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,734 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostColonel, on 07 March 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Actually, there are choices, WMV, MPEG2, and a couple others.  I ran repair and all I get now is "There was a problem wrting to the disk" error.  And if I knew what "movie format" is, I wouldn't be asking the question.  Unfortunately, Best Buy won't take this back, so I really need some advise in helping make this thing work.  If I wanted sarcasm, I'd ask my wife to help.



There is no such thing as a "movie format". You may be able to capture to different video formats some of which can only be played on the computer. All standard DVDs have the mpeg2 format if you want play them on a DVD player. So if you eventually want to burn a DVD then your might as well capture to the DVD compliant format which is mpeg2. other wise it will be converted anyway at some point.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset


#11 Colonel

Colonel

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Thank you for the reply.  As you can tell, I'm quite new at this and not totaly computer literate anyway.  Do you have any advise on the "There was a problem writing to the disk" error message I keep getting?

View Postmyguggi, on 07 March 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

There is no such thing as a "movie format". You may be able to capture to different video formats some of which can only be played on the computer. All standard DVDs have the mpeg2 format if you want play them on a DVD player. So if you eventually want to burn a DVD then your might as well capture to the DVD compliant format which is mpeg2. other wise it will be converted anyway at some point.


#12 myguggi

myguggi

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,734 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostColonel, on 07 March 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

Thank you for the reply.  As you can tell, I'm quite new at this and not totaly computer literate anyway.  Do you have any advise on the "There was a problem writing to the disk" error message I keep getting?



How long in time is the VHS video you are capturing? How long have you let the "finishing" run?
A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best quality video which is the setting you should use for captured VHS video.
In one of your posts you said some like "it won't export to DVD". You don't export to a DVD, you export to a video file which you then burn to a DVD using myDVD.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset


#13 Colonel

Colonel

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

I tried one that was 90 minutes(probably too long) and one that was 45 minutes.  I let the "finishing" stage on the 45 min run for over 2 hours.  I left the other for about 6 hours.  I should mention the 45 min was attempted using the "transfer a single VHS tape to DVD" method.  It saved the long one in my computer under a "My videos" file.  I have Nero on my computer for the burning program and it won't accept the MPEG2 file.  It says it has to be in *bup*, *vob*, or *ifo* to record to a DVD.  Thank you for your help.

View Postmyguggi, on 07 March 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

How long in time is the VHS video you are capturing? How long have you let the "finishing" run?
A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best quality video which is the setting you should use for captured VHS video.
In one of your posts you said some like "it won't export to DVD". You don't export to a DVD, you export to a video file which you then burn to a DVD using myDVD.


#14 myguggi

myguggi

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,734 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostColonel, on 07 March 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

I tried one that was 90 minutes(probably too long) and one that was 45 minutes.  I let the "finishing" stage on the 45 min run for over 2 hours.  I left the other for about 6 hours.  I should mention the 45 min was attempted using the "transfer a single VHS tape to DVD" method.  It saved the long one in my computer under a "My videos" file.  I have Nero on my computer for the burning program and it won't accept the MPEG2 file.  It says it has to be in *bup*, *vob*, or *ifo* to record to a DVD.  Thank you for your help.



If you are using Nero to burn the DVD then you are propably using the wrong program from Nero. "bup", "ifo" and "vob" are the normal files you find on a DVD in the Video_TS folder. You have to use the correct program to create the Video_TS folder and it will accept the mpeg2. Obviously I cannot give you any advice on using Nero.

Of course myDVD (which is the DVD burning program) will create a the proper files and burn them to DVD.

2 hours for 45 minutes may not bee too long depending on your system, free hard drive space, other applications running, etc.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset


#15 Colonel

Colonel

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thank you

View Postmyguggi, on 07 March 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

If you are using Nero to burn the DVD then you are propably using the wrong program from Nero. "bup", "ifo" and "vob" are the normal files you find on a DVD in the Video_TS folder. You have to use the correct program to create the Video_TS folder and it will accept the mpeg2. Obviously I cannot give you any advice on using Nero.

Of course myDVD (which is the DVD burning program) will create a the proper files and burn them to DVD.

2 hours for 45 minutes may not bee too long depending on your system, free hard drive space, other applications running, etc.


#16 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,238 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

View PostColonel, on 07 March 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Actually, there are choices, WMV, MPEG2, and a couple others.  I ran repair and all I get now is "There was a problem writing to the disk" error.  And if I knew what "movie format" is, I wouldn't be asking the question.  Unfortunately, Best Buy won't take this back, so I really need some advise in helping make this thing work.  If I wanted sarcasm, I'd ask my wife to help.
I thought you were referring to the Captured files! MPEG is the ONLY format EVD3 will capture in ;)

If you want to make a DVD Movie, the ONLY output you can use is DVD

By using another software you are only confusing yourself as well as the issues :huh:

You should have a disc or 2 of DVD RW on hand to do testing with! It is erasable and perfect for learning on - BUT NOT for permanent use.

Stick with the EVD3 program and use one of your captures. Only trim it to 5 minutes for testing. Pick DVD and burn away...

For long projects, EVD3 is the first to offer span disc :o

Attached File  Spanned DVD 1.jpg   117.55K   3 downloads


You can pick the split point for disc 1 then it will burn the first and ask for the next one.

But this is for long projects and not what you want to play with now.
Posted Image

#17 feathers3

feathers3

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for all the replys.  I am in the process of updateing every thing on the computer.  It has just been sitting for a while.  I just didn't want to tie up my laptop while I was copying.

I'll let you know how I make out after I get the updates done.

Nancy

#18 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,238 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

View Postfeathers3, on 02 May 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Thanks for all the replys.  I am in the process of updateing every thing on the computer.  It has just been sitting for a while.  I just didn't want to tie up my laptop while I was copying.

I'll let you know how I make out after I get the updates done.

Nancy
Did you mean to reply to your original TOPIC rather than this one? :huh:
Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users