• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SShane

SShane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Is it possible to create a 3D Anaglyph video from 2 -2D video files? I have tried various file names with L and R names all it does is incorporate two files in one long file and makes a fake 3D video. There is no 3D effect alterining this way.

I bought the program based on creating 3D video files and am disappointed to have spent 3 days trying to create a file with no success.

I also found out that it will not recognize an HD file without the properties being in the property definitions. It opens the file with an incorrect format and crashes the HD, really really Hard.

Thanks for your help.

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,571 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:22 AM

Yes! It is a bit tricky though ;)

But I am curious what you have that produces 2 seperate files???

You do realize that all you really need to do is load ONE of the files into a new 3D Project and it will produce a 3D effect from a straight 2D file???

However, if you do have 2 seperate files you can try out what I outlined in this post: HERE.

Let us know how that works out for you ;)
Posted Image

#3 SShane

SShane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 09 March 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

You do realize that all you really need to do is load ONE of the files into a new 3D Project and it will produce a 3D effect from a straight 2D file???

However, if you do have 2 seperate files you can try out what I outlined in this post: HERE.

Well the manufactured 3D is not what I need. I need to be able to change the DOF which can only be done by maniputaling the distance between camera's.

I use 2 video camera's just like in 3d Photo's. There are lots of lift off effects, through the screen effects and when bike riding the far distant hills don't look flat and when one is riding near a cliff you can really see the sheer drop off so the viewer gets the exact same feel as going up and down hills and so on.

I saw your link and will take a look at it and get back to you either way.

Thanks.

#4 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,193 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostSShane, on 09 March 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

Well the manufactured 3D is not what I need. I need to be able to change the DOF which can only be done by maniputaling the distance between camera's.

I use 2 video camera's just like in 3d Photo's. There are lots of lift off effects, through the screen effects and when bike riding the far distant hills don't look flat and when one is riding near a cliff you can really see the sheer drop off so the viewer gets the exact same feel as going up and down hills and so on.

I saw your link and will take a look at it and get back to you either way.

Thanks.

If you are using 2 cameras, why are you trying to do anaglyph.  In fact, how would you use it - one camera red and the other blue?  

Perhaps posting to this site (link)    will give you more immediate answers while we try to understand what you are trying to do.  That site has help for both photos and for videos.

BTW, I have 2 different video players on my computer and both have a DOF adjustment.  One of the players is CinePlayer.

Edited by sknis, 09 March 2012 - 06:25 AM.

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#5 SShane

SShane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 09 March 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

Jim, I took a look at your helpful file but it isn't what I need.  If I made an overlay for the full length of a video the screens would get all jumbled up from loosing frame synce. I would also need one of two options. One being stereo (two mic inputs) available or I would need the capability of selecting the sound on which video I need to use, or want to use.

I also want to do this in HD with the option of smaller video's.

It id looking more n more like the program is not really designed for 2 vidcams 3D. Is Roxio even interested in doing that or is it in the works?

#6 SShane

SShane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

View Postsknis, on 09 March 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

If you are using 2 cameras, why are you trying to do anaglyph.  In fact, how would you use it - one camera red and the other blue?  

Perhaps posting to this site (link)    will give you more immediate answers while we try to understand what you are trying to do.  That site has help for both photos and for videos.

BTW, I have 2 different video players on my computer and both have a DOF adjustment.  One of the players is CinePlayer.

It wouldn't be the same. I would like the video to be played as it when published to You tube or whatever as a straight anaglyph.

I would like to be able to take an egg (flat picture) and the viewer can see the egg lift off the page as I change the angle of the camera.

When the objects you focus on are about 10-15 ft in front of you to infinity I don't want to see any flat screen objects or people looking like cardboard cutouts that are 50 feet away from you. There are times I would like to use cameras 5 ft apart like when shoot scenery shots, or as close as on inch.

Hope that helps.

Oh and as to colors, yes one cam red tint the other blue but that should be handled by the software as in straight 3D photo's with a left frame/right frame. That can be done with one camera moving it over 3 inches for the second or right hand shot, but if anything moves your sunk. I always use two lenses so I can snap action shots. The trick is keeping the timing in synce. IE the shutters have to be pressed at the same time.

Edited by SShane, 09 March 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#7 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,193 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

View PostSShane, on 09 March 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

It wouldn't be the same. I would like the video to be played as it when published to You tube or whatever as a straight anaglyph.

I would like to be able to take an egg (flat picture) and the viewer can see the egg lift off the page as I change the angle of the camera.

When the objects you focus on are about 10-15 ft in front of you to infinity I don't want to see any flat screen objects or people looking like cardboard cutouts that are 50 feet away from you. There are times I would like to use cameras 5 ft apart like when shoot scenery shots, or as close as on inch.

Hope that helps.

I really think you would benefit by going to that 3D forum that I linked to. .  You can ask your questions there and get a lot of help.
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,571 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostSShane, on 09 March 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Jim, I took a look at your helpful file but it isn't what I need.  If I made an overlay for the full length of a video the screens would get all jumbled up from loosing frame synce. I would also need one of two options. One being stereo (two mic inputs) available or I would need the capability of selecting the sound on which video I need to use, or want to use.

I also want to do this in HD with the option of smaller video's.

It id looking more n more like the program is not really designed for 2 vidcams 3D. Is Roxio even interested in doing that or is it in the works?

"If I made an overlay for the full length of a video the screens would get all jumbled up from loosing frame synce" No... Not if you start out in-sync.

For Audio, extract the audio from One and put it on the internal track of the color panel. Then mute the audio in the overlays...

Running 2 seperate camcorder is a way of avoiding buying one quality 3D camcorder :lol:  No I do not think that Roxio is interested in supporting such a limited market ;)

But there is some other software available that does support this type of 3D work... You should be able to find some that have trial downloads available ;)
Posted Image

#9 SShane

SShane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 09 March 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

"If I made an overlay for the full length of a video the screens would get all jumbled up from loosing frame synce" No... Not if you start out in-sync.

For Audio, extract the audio from One and put it on the internal track of the color panel. Then mute the audio in the overlays...

Running 2 seperate camcorder is a way of avoiding buying one quality 3D camcorder :lol:  No I do not think that Roxio is interested in supporting such a limited market ;)

But there is some other software available that does support this type of 3D work... You should be able to find some that have trial downloads available ;)

This is the way it has been done for years. Only recently have 32 camcorders come out. and they interpolate by themselves, again no freedom. Great for fixed stuff, meaning DOF.

There has been shareware/freeware in the past, but getting into HD is slow. Which is why I went to a larger company.

The 3D photo program you have looks like one of the freeware programs I have used years ago. And BTW there were stereoscopic film camera's and two separate film camera's used as well, and now there are even a couple stereo photo Photo camera.

With all the inexpensive camcorders, two exact same mdl cameras can be had for less than 100 bucks 10 bucks to link the two, or less, and a 75 buck program and one is in biz and you say Roxio wouldn't be interested? Every wannabe kid and adult would like that, especially as a hobbyist film maker. And I saw a nerdy kid on the net last night who has grown by leaps and bounds doing just that.

Thanks for your help. I'll talk to Roxio regarding the money I spent.

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,571 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

I think I can see your points... :glare:

I still have some doubts as the "need" that you seem to perceive. As your output is anaglyph, I think you are really just kidding yourself :lol:

But I have to admit, I don't have a 3D TV nor is one planned for my house :( I have a cheap (Aiptek) 3D camcorder and dabble in it. But without a Shutter or Polarized TV & Player, I have yet to see an anaglyph output that I want to watch.  :huh:

Of course it is up to you in the end, so whatever you want to do is OK with me!

and just so you know, I don't work for Roxio ;)
Posted Image

#11 SShane

SShane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 09 March 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

I think I can see your points... :glare:

I still have some doubts as the "need" that you seem to perceive. As your output is anaglyph, I think you are really just kidding yourself :lol:

But I have to admit, I don't have a 3D TV nor is one planned for my house :( I have a cheap (Aiptek) 3D camcorder and dabble in it. But without a Shutter or Polarized TV & Player, I have yet to see an anaglyph output that I want to watch.  :huh:

Of course it is up to you in the end, so whatever you want to do is OK with me!

and just so you know, I don't work for Roxio ;)
Yes Jim, I realized that you don't work for them. I have messed around with photography for years, and have a love for good 3D. I have a plasma screen that will support the "blinking" glass, but any TV will support anaglyph, except black and white. Gimmicky stuff will kill any 3D format. However, it is fun to toss it in once in a while. When driving off road in a Jeep one can feel what is happening, going up steep hills, down into canyons, the only draw back is having proper glasses. Mountain bike riding, and just following the trails in 3D really add to the thrill.

It has all been done via two lenses.

Try using a digital camera on stills, or portraits. Take a shot then more the camera to the right 3" take another. Keep track of your shots. Then try with a 5" separation. 4" and so on, when out doors same thing, when looking down a street goto 10" separating and see the differences. 2 identical cameras setup manually and identical is better for L and R shots. Then you'll see the limitations of a fixed 3D camera, especially video. Thanks for being straight up.

#12 SShane

SShane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

View Postsknis, on 09 March 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

Thanks for the link, I'll be checking it out. hadn't seen it before but then I've not been messing around much in the last two years other than taking stills.

Thanks.

#13 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,571 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

SShane - might be nice if you would post a couple of examples, anaglyph with various spacings...

Who knows, you might convert me :lol:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users