• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mullermama

Mullermama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I have burned my DVD after making it an ISO image. The DVD plays great on my computer, but when I put it in my DVD player (to play on my TV) the audio skips every so often (every 3-5 minutes) not a huge skip, just long enough to miss a word... almost like when a curse is removed from a movie. It is always in the same spots and again, it play beautifully on the computer as a DVD and I checked the ISO file it it too play fine.
HELP!

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,782 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostMullermama, on 17 March 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I have burned my DVD after making it an ISO image. The DVD plays great on my computer, but when I put it in my DVD player (to play on my TV) the audio skips every so often (every 3-5 minutes) not a huge skip, just long enough to miss a word... almost like when a curse is removed from a movie. It is always in the same spots and again, it play beautifully on the computer as a DVD and I checked the ISO file it it too play fine.
HELP!

There may be a problem with incompatibility between the make of DVDs you are using and your DVD player. What make of DVDs are you using? Not all DVDs are of equal quality, Verbatims and Tayo Yuden are considered among the best., Maxell, memorex and store brands are at the bottom of the barrel.

Also how long in time is the video on the DVD?

Edited by myguggi, 17 March 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 karri

karri

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,519 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Just to add to Walt's response, what kind of DVD player do you have? There was a problem with some players a while back with audio dropout every few minutes. I can't remember what brand, tho. The fix was to change the audio format to lpcm in the project settings.
Dell Studio XPS (desktop)
Windows 7 | Core i7 | 12 GB Memory |
ATI HD 5870

Dell Studio XPS (laptop)
Windows 7 | Core i7 | 4 GB Memory
| ATI HD 5730

Roxio
Creator 2012

Creator 2009-12 / Easy Media Creator Tutorials
Roxio Tutorials on Youtube
Roxio Central Learning Center

Roxio MyMoments Tips and Tutorials
Beginner Tips for VideoWave and PhotoSuite
Roxio Creator Getting Started Guide
Roxio Creator User Guide

#4 Mullermama

Mullermama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 17 March 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

There may be a problem with incompatibility between the make of DVDs you are using and your DVD player. What make of DVDs are you using? Not all DVDs are of equal quality, Verbatims and Tayo Yuden are considered among the best., Maxell, memorex and store brands are at the bottom of the barrel.

I used memorex 8gb and imation 4.7 DVDs and I tried it on 2 different DVD players: Coby and Panasonic.

I put on a movie that's 55ish minutes and a 10 min slideshow.

So where can I get these higher quality DVDs? Any stores sell them? Or only through the web?

#5 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,505 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

View PostMullermama, on 17 March 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

I used memorex 8gb and imation 4.7 DVDs and I tried it on 2 different DVD players: Coby and Panasonic.

I put on a movie that's 55ish minutes and a 10 min slideshow.

So where can I get these higher quality DVDs? Any stores sell them? Or only through the web?

Verbatim are available from almost anywhere.  The T-Y are web only that I know of.

You might want to try buning the poorer quality discs at a lower speed.

Edited by sknis, 18 March 2012 - 04:13 AM.

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#6 Mullermama

Mullermama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 17 March 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

So I went out and bought Verbatim DVD-Rs and tired that. The audio still drops a word every so often (same word/spot every time)

I had 2 different ISO files of the movie. One that I burned on "custom fit" in MYDVD and the other in HQ quality. I couldn't burn the HQ one since if was a tad too large for the Verbatim DVDs, so I burned the ISO that was created with custom fit. (Before I started this thread, I had burned both files on the memorex or imation DVDs - both files giving me the dropped audio problem)

Any more ideas about how I can fix this? :(

#7 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,556 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

It really sounds as though your Quality setting is what is doing you in!

You have to stick with HQ to eliminate problems.

BEFORE you slash it to 1:06 try it at HQ on a RW disc or sacrifice one of your Memorex discs :lol: Just trim it to 1:06, which will fit on a 4.7 GB.

If that works, as I suspect it will, then you can either find a few minutes to trim off or jump to a 8.5 GB DL disc...

The 1:06 time is based on a DVD without any menus... Menus use space so they cut into time ;)
Posted Image

#8 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,782 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostMullermama, on 20 March 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

So I went out and bought Verbatim DVD-Rs and tired that. The audio still drops a word every so often (same word/spot every time)

I had 2 different ISO files of the movie. One that I burned on "custom fit" in MYDVD and the other in HQ quality. I couldn't burn the HQ one since if was a tad too large for the Verbatim DVDs, so I burned the ISO that was created with custom fit. (Before I started this thread, I had burned both files on the memorex or imation DVDs - both files giving me the dropped audio problem)

Any more ideas about how I can fix this? :(

If by "custom fit" you mean "the "fit-to-disc" quality setting then that will give you the worst quality for video over 60 minutes in length.  What is the size of the video on the DVD burned with that "custom fit" setting?

After trying what Jim suggested you could also burn the iso disc image (which is "too large") to a DVD using the "Burn Disc image". It should transode the iso file to fit on the DVD at much better quality than the "fit-to-disc" option.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
SoundMAX Digital Audio
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit

#9 Mullermama

Mullermama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 20 March 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

If by "custom fit" you mean "the "fit-to-disc" quality setting then that will give you the worst quality for video over 60 minutes in length.  What is the size of the video on the DVD burned with that "custom fit" setting?

After trying what Jim suggested you could also burn the iso disc image (which is "too large") to a DVD using the "Burn Disc image". It should transode the iso file to fit on the DVD at much better quality than the "fit-to-disc" option.

Ok, Tried it all.....

I had a 10 minute slide show on the DVD that I was willing to part with in hopes of finally getting this to work.

SO I got rid of the slide show to make it fit on the 4.7 Verbatim DVD.  I created an HQ ISO file from MYDVD, burned it to the disc with the "Burn Disc Image" (which, btw, I tried doing with the too large file and it just plain said it was too large)

Again, I played it in my DVD player (which I'm convinced is not the problem cause I don't think it would drop audio in the same spot every time I rewind it and play it again)
...no luck, still the same problem! (and again, it plays fine in my laptop as a DVD)

I VERY MUCH appreciate your input so far and would greatly appreciate any more suggestions!

And if it helps... I have Roxio Creator 2011

#10 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,782 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostMullermama, on 20 March 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

Ok, Tried it all.....

I had a 10 minute slide show on the DVD that I was willing to part with in hopes of finally getting this to work.

SO I got rid of the slide show to make it fit on the 4.7 Verbatim DVD.  I created an HQ ISO file from MYDVD, burned it to the disc with the "Burn Disc Image" (which, btw, I tried doing with the too large file and it just plain said it was too large)

Again, I played it in my DVD player (which I'm convinced is not the problem cause I don't think it would drop audio in the same spot every time I rewind it and play it again)
...no luck, still the same problem! (and again, it plays fine in my laptop as a DVD)

I VERY MUCH appreciate your input so far and would greatly appreciate any more suggestions!

And if it helps... I have Roxio Creator 2011

Can you play the DVD on a friends or neighbours DVD player?

If the DVD plays correctly on your laptop then the program worked correctly.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#11 Mullermama

Mullermama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 20 March 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

Can you play the DVD on a friends or neighbours DVD player?

If the DVD plays correctly on your laptop then the program worked correctly.

The 1st DVD I made (HQ ISO image on a memorex 8GB disc)

I played it in my Coby DVD player and it dropped the words.

I played it in laptop, it worked fine.

Then played it in my sister's Panosonic DVD player and it dropped the same words in the same places.

I haven't tried the Verbatim DVD on the 2 different DVD players. But I'm assuming the result will be the same.

I'm at a loss as to what else could possibly be wrong or fixed.

Don't you agree that if the DVD players as dropping words in the same places in the movie, then it's the disc and not the players?

Feeling like giving up on Roxio ;(

#12 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,782 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostMullermama, on 20 March 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

The 1st DVD I made (HQ ISO image on a memorex 8GB disc)

I played it in my Coby DVD player and it dropped the words.

I played it in laptop, it worked fine.

Then played it in my sister's Panosonic DVD player and it dropped the same words in the same places.

I haven't tried the Verbatim DVD on the 2 different DVD players. But I'm assuming the result will be the same.

I'm at a loss as to what else could possibly be wrong or fixed.

Don't you agree that if the DVD players as dropping words in the same places in the movie, then it's the disc and not the players?

Feeling like giving up on Roxio ;(

So you have not yet tried the Verbatims but only the  junk Memorex? I agree it may be the disc but not because of anything to do with Roxio.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#13 Mullermama

Mullermama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 20 March 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

So you have not yet tried the Verbatims but only the  junk Memorex? I agree it may be the disc but not because of anything to do with Roxio.

I'm sorry, that sounded like I didn't try the Verbatim in the DVD player at all... I have tried the Verbatim in my DVD player but only that player.(but again, convinced it's not the player cause of repeated  dropped words in the same spots)

I burned the movie on 2 Verbatim discs. 1st with ISO (fit to disc) and 2nd HQ ISO.  Both dropped words in DVD player but fine in the laptop.

I might try exporting from videowave as a "MPEG -2 for DVD, best quality" and then just burning it that way and give up on the menu.

#14 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,782 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostMullermama, on 20 March 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

I'm sorry, that sounded like I didn't try the Verbatim in the DVD player at all... I have tried the Verbatim in my DVD player but only that player.(but again, convinced it's not the player cause of repeated  dropped words in the same spots)

I burned the movie on 2 Verbatim discs. 1st with ISO (fit to disc) and 2nd HQ ISO.  Both dropped words in DVD player but fine in the laptop.

I might try exporting from videowave as a "MPEG -2 for DVD, best quality" and then just burning it that way and give up on the menu.

In post #8 I suggested using Burn Disc Image to burn the "oversize" image file to a DVD. That is wrong, I should have said use "Video Copy and Convert"

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users