10 replies to this topic

#1 Jim B

Jim B

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have some +RW disks on which I made some recordings. When finished with the recordings, I put the disk back in the recorder and had it erase it. I then looked at the disk using the drive in my computer. There are sub folders and file still on it. when I look at the properties of the disk, it shows 3.46 GB as being used but, when I add up the size of the stuff in the 2 sub folders, I get about 1.07 MB. I am attaching 3 screen shots of what I'm seeing. My question is, when the disk reports to the recorder that 2/3 of it being used, does the recorder compress what I'm trying to record into the 1/3 that's free? If it's not clear what I'm asking please give me a chance to further explain.

JIM

Attached Files

ZT systems Affinity 7645Mi desktop
Sony SDM-HS94 TFT flat screen monitor
Intel I5-2320 3 GHz processor
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
2 TB HD
NVIDiA GeForce 9400 GI graphics card
22X DVD±RW
Creator 2012 ver 13.5
Magnavox ZC320MW8B video recorder

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,247 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostJim B, on 19 March 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

When finished with the recordings, I put the disk back in the recorder and had it erase it.

Jim,

How did you erase the disc? A properly erased DVD+RW disc should show as empty, with no files or folders showing, and 4.37GB free - like this

Attached File  props.jpg   35.64K   0 downloads

RW discs go faulty eventually after a lot of use. They either lose data, or fail to respond properly to a write or erase operation.

It looks to me that your disc is in a fault condition. The things it is showing are wrong if it has been erased, and there's no telling what would be written on it if you tried to use it in that state.

From the Roxio Home menu app I would first go to Tools > Erase and erase the disc. A 'quick' erase should do at this stage.
Then I'd look at a different disc in that drive to flush the drive's cache and mostly rule out drive failure.
Then I'd check the DVD+RW disc again. If it still shows files and folders despite being erased I'd regard the disc as probably failed.
If a different DVD+RW is erased properly when you try it, I would say the original disc has definitely failed and I'd discard it.

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#3 Jim B

Jim B

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

View PostBrendon, on 19 March 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Jim,

How did you erase the disc? A properly erased DVD+RW disc should show as empty, with no files or folders showing, and 4.37GB free - like this

Attachment props.jpg

RW discs go faulty eventually after a lot of use. They either lose data, or fail to respond properly to a write or erase operation.

It looks to me that your disc is in a fault condition. The things it is showing are wrong if it has been erased, and there's no telling what would be written on it if you tried to use it in that state.

From the Roxio Home menu app I would first go to Tools > Erase and erase the disc. A 'quick' erase should do at this stage.
Then I'd look at a different disc in that drive to flush the drive's cache and mostly rule out drive failure.
Then I'd check the DVD+RW disc again. If it still shows files and folders despite being erased I'd regard the disc as probably failed.
If a different DVD+RW is erased properly when you try it, I would say the original disc has definitely failed and I'd discard it.

Regards,
Brendon

I erased the disk using the drive on my computer and got the properties as shown in you screen shot. I put the disk in the recorder and the first thing it asked me to do was erase the disk which I did. after that the empty space screen showed on the TV screen as with a new disk. I put the disk back in my computer and the properties were the same as in my original post above. Must be the way the video recorder handles the format. BTW the file system on my disk is UDF after the recorder is done with it whereas, there is none shown on your screen shot. I'm going to see what Toshiba has to say about this.

Thanks, Jim

Edited by Jim B, 20 March 2012 - 06:02 AM.

16 GB DDR3 Memory
2 TB HD
22X DVD±RW
Creator 2012 ver 13.5

#4 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,075 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

View PostJim B, on 20 March 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

What you show in your screen shot is what I expected to see. I used the erase disk function of the video recorder. I've noticed I can't delete those remaining file using the drive in my computer.

Are you using a application in C2012 to erase the RW disc?

If so what application?
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#5 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,313 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

??? if you right click (Windows Explorer) the disc, what does the File System show up as?

DVD+R w/Movie:
Attached File  DVD Properties DVD+R.jpg   42.33K   0 downloads

DVD-RW w/Movie:

Attached File  DVD Properties DVD-RW.jpg   44.46K   0 downloads

:o  :lol:  :D cd pointed out that your first post did include a picture of that!

I would use Windows Explorer to Erase the disc:

Attached File  Disc Erase Win Exp.jpg   113.72K   0 downloads

Do Not format the disc!!!

Edited by Jim_Hardin, 20 March 2012 - 09:39 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,247 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

An erased disc shows no file system, because it has no file system.

If your disc looked like my screenshot after erasing in your computer, that is as it should be.

It seems that your Video Recorder is initializing the disc in its own manner prior to doing VR recording. It must be the way the video recorder handles recording. If that's the case [and it looks like it is] then discs "initialized" in the video recorder will make sense to the video recorder, but won't add up when viewed in the computer.

Toshiba should be able to reassure you on this. :)

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

#7 Jim B

Jim B

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 20 March 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

Are you using a application in C2012 to erase the RW disc?

If so what application?
No. Just right clicked on the drive and clicked on erase disk.
16 GB DDR3 Memory
2 TB HD
22X DVD±RW
Creator 2012 ver 13.5

#8 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,075 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostJim B, on 20 March 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

No. Just right clicked on the drive and clicked on erase disk.

I would try it again and right click properties right after you erase it.

It should look like Brendon's pic 4.37 free..
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#9 Jim B

Jim B

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 20 March 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

I would try it again and right click properties right after you erase it.

It should look like Brendon's pic 4.37 free..

If you will read my reply to Brendon's post showing that pic you'll see that's what I did, the subsequent results, and what happened after I put it back in the recorder.
16 GB DDR3 Memory
2 TB HD
22X DVD±RW
Creator 2012 ver 13.5

#10 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,247 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

Yep, it's all copacetic, cd.

Jim B erased the disc in the computer, and then put it in his video recorder which went and initialized the disc for VR recording.

Then he looked at the initialized disc in the computer again, and saw the stuff the Video Recorder had put on it.

Everything is as it should be, Jim B.

Brendon

#11 Jim B

Jim B

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostBrendon, on 20 March 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Yep, it's all copacetic, cd.

Jim B erased the disc in the computer, and then put it in his video recorder which went and initialized the disc for VR recording.

Then he looked at the initialized disc in the computer again, and saw the stuff the Video Recorder had put on it.

Everything is as it should be, Jim B.

Brendon
love that global warming. Was just under 78 here in Niagara Falls today!
16 GB DDR3 Memory
2 TB HD
22X DVD±RW
Creator 2012 ver 13.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users