Korey

Video Black Screen

Question

When I am importing images, the files in the recently imported section show the preview image of the video. When I put it in the storyline and try to view it the screen is just black. Sound does play that is correct, but just a black screen. What is wrong??

Edited by Korey

28 answers to this question

When I am importing images, the files in the recently imported section show the preview image of the video. When I put it in the storyline and try to view it the screen is just black. Sound does play that is correct, but just a black screen. What is wrong??

I would start with # 17 in my signature 'Finding Your Computer Specs' and listing them..

What are the images that you are trying to import ?? what file type are they and other properties ??

Frank...

I would start with # 17 in my signature 'Finding Your Computer Specs' and listing them..

Specs

MS Wind XP

Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

HP Compaq dx7500 SFF

INtel Core 2 Duo CPU

E8400 A 3 GHz

3 Ghz, 2.96 GB Ram

Roxio Version 2012

version 13.5, 6.0.0.0

build 135B90A, R13, 605B86A, R03

Common Framework

Version 3.0.4177.42040

Central Framework

Version 6.0.4212.37470

Does this help

What are the images that you are trying to import ?? what file type are they and other properties ??

Frank...

Sorry I am importing Videos. In Roxio Videowave I inported videos from my sony handycam. They show up in the recently imported box and show a prview image of the begining of the video. I can click to play them but when it plays them you can hear the sound, but the play screen is just black. Any solutions?

Edited by Korey

Might I suggest that you first import your handycam videos onto your computer as an "avi" file extension. Then import that avi file into Videowave and play/edit it there.

Don't import the video into your computer with a USB cable. Does your handycam have a firewire DV oiut port ?

Frank....

Might I suggest that you first import your handycam videos onto your computer as an "avi" file extension. Then import that avi file into Videowave and play/edit it there.

Don't import the video into your computer with a USB cable. Does your handycam have a firewire DV oiut port ?

Frank....

I don't see a firewire/iLink connection. I have HDMI out and A/V R out. Also USB which i have been using.

How can I import to an AVI file? When importing from my Sony Handycam it imports a .m2ts files. I can then convert to a .wmv, .mpeg2, and .html file format.

I don't care for the word, "Import"... You are merely copying the files from your camcorder to your computer ;)

M2TS files are usable, as is, and should never be converted to any other format!

What we need to determine is if there is a fault with the files or your system video :huh:

They should be playable, as is, with Windows Media Player... Right click the problem ones and play them with WMP to see how they look. Also, right click and look at Properties - Details. What is the Frame width & height as well as the Total bitrate of a file???

(we have seen cases where very high bitrates don't work right)

post-39730-067442500 1332841132.jpg

Make sure your Video Card has the latest drivers and software. This is not automatic, so check the manufactures site:

When we get this fixed ;) What is your final output for these files? I ask because these files are better than DVD and just right for AVCHD or BD Projects.

I don't care for the word, "Import"... You are merely copying the files from your camcorder to your computer ;)

M2TS files are usable, as is, and should never be converted to any other format!

What we need to determine is if there is a fault with the files or your system video :huh:

They should be playable, as is, with Windows Media Player... Right click the problem ones and play them with WMP to see how they look. Also, right click and look at Properties - Details. What is the Frame width & height as well as the Total bitrate of a file???

(we have seen cases where very high bitrates don't work right)

post-39730-067442500 1332841132.jpg

Make sure your Video Card has the latest drivers and software. This is not automatic, so check the manufactures site:

When we get this fixed ;) What is your final output for these files? I ask because these files are better than DVD and just right for AVCHD or BD Projects.

I can not get the WMP to play the M2TS files. It will not play them. When i right click properties of the files i can't get to a details page only chooses are summary and general. I am running xp professional if that make a difference. I checked NVIDIA and it says I have the latest graphics card.

My final outpout is going to be to bring the files together and burn to a DVD for playing on my home DVD player.

Please help more.

I checked in my XP PC and get the same results ;)

However, you can still load the files into VideoWave - right click and view the Properties, Details there:

post-39730-065399300 1333013790.jpg

Sony does have a habit of ignoring Standards whenever they wish... One thing you might try is to run one of the problem files through a converter and change it into a mp4 file...

You could try either Video Copy and Convert or Drag and Drop Convert, both in the Video Tab of 2012.

Don't dwell on settings or file type, just pick one, convert it and try it ;)

I was able to covert the video from the sony file to a MPEG4 and WMP file and both of those were viewable in RC2012. They were not good quality but worked. I used the drag and drop converter.

What would be the next step on getting good quality from the sony format through to a file i can create movies and burn to a DVD in RC2012?

Thanks

A better approach would be to fix the camcorder setting for future recordings...

This is why I keep asking you for details of the files :huh: Also the make & model of your camcorder. (I am assuming there will be a setting that will work)

For your existing files! Use Video Copy and Covert set for Video output.

Then select:

Custom:

post-39730-035114200 1333098543.jpg

You can then choose the type of output you want as well as the Quality:

post-39730-086317500 1333098545.jpg

post-39730-099904600 1333098547.jpg

post-39730-064018000 1333098550.jpg

post-39730-085840700 1333098552.jpg

I would stick with the H.264 ;)

Note that you can add multiple files and it will convert each one as it goes along. Since you are outputting to File, be sure to click on the '3 dot' button to see where they are going to be placed.

My camcorder is a Sony HD AVCHD Handycam HDR-CX160 3.3 Mega Pixels still image recording. Let me know what the setting should be to make transfer easy.

I am not able to use the video copy and convert. I follow your steps using the custom and then H.264 settings and when i play it the screen is black again, but i can hear the sound. I did get the video to convert using the drag and drop convert prevouisly, but that was when the quality was bad. Any help?

My camcorder is a Sony HD AVCHD Handycam HDR-CX160 3.3 Mega Pixels still image recording. Let me know what the setting should be to make transfer easy.

I am not able to use the video copy and convert. I follow your steps using the custom and then H.264 settings and when i play it the screen is black again, but i can hear the sound. I did get the video to convert using the drag and drop convert prevouisly, but that was when the quality was bad. Any help?

I'll have to look up the Owners Manual for your camcorder and read it tonight...

I indicated 4 choices for conversion, did you try the others?

cd's suggestion about putting a file on a server where we can download it, is a great idea! ;)

Edit: faster than I thought... looks like you have 3 HD choices, PS, FX & FH

Guessing you used PS and I suggest you change it to FX and give that a try ;) Just shoot a few 5 second clips and see how they do?

Also if you would upload one short troublesome file, that would really help us!

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Post a small sample file that makes the screen go black at upfordown, so we can play with it.

http://www.upfordown.com/

Then post the link here...

Here are the links to the files that I uploaded. the M2ts is the original file and the other four are the ones that I converted. The original was shot with FX setting

http://www.upfordown.com/files/download/12096/20120407131438.m2ts

http://www.upfordown.com/files/download/12096/20120407131438_1.mp4

http://www.upfordown.com/files/download/12096/20120407131438.wmv

http://www.upfordown.com/files/download/12096/20120407131438.mpg

http://www.upfordown.com/files/download/12096/20120407131438.mp4

I'll have to look up the Owners Manual for your camcorder and read it tonight...

I indicated 4 choices for conversion, did you try the others?

cd's suggestion about putting a file on a server where we can download it, is a great idea! ;)

Edit: faster than I thought... looks like you have 3 HD choices, PS, FX & FH

Guessing you used PS and I suggest you change it to FX and give that a try ;) Just shoot a few 5 second clips and see how they do?

Also if you would upload one short troublesome file, that would really help us!

I tried all four and none of them worked.

I have put them on the site. See above links to the files.

I changed the setting to FX and those are the files that are attached. They didn't work either when converted.

I downloaded this one, http://www.upfordown.com/files/download/12096/20120407131438.m2ts

No black screen in Videowave.. I was using W-7 x64 Ultimate.

post-97-044137700 1333826853.jpg

Edited by cdanteek

Ditto but I was using W7.

What versions of IE, Quicktime and WMP do you have on your computer?

You need --

Windows Media Player version 10, 11 or 12

Internet Explorer 7, 8 or 9

QuickTime® player version 7 required for some functionality (H264 and similar Apple type codecs.)

Edited by sknis

I downloaded the mpg & wmv files and they are black as night :lol:

post-39730-028022800 1333887476.jpg

I am trying to downlaod the mts file now... But from what Steve & cd got, I think we need to look at your PC specs...

Please post what you have, like we show in our sig blocks and be sure to include info on your Video Card. (oops, just noticed that a lot of that is in Post #4;))

Edited by Jim_Hardin

I downloaded the mpg & wmv files and they are black as night :lol:

post-39730-028022800 1333887476.jpg

I am trying to downlaod the mts file now... But from what Steve & cd got, I think we need to look at your PC specs...

Please post what you have, like we show in our sig blocks and be sure to include info on your Video Card. (oops, just noticed that a lot of that is in Post #4;))

His other downloads are black for me.

I used his original m2ts file and converted it in VCC to Jim Hardin's settings, post #12 H264 Video, and it is not black!

C2012 Pro on W-7 x64 Ultimate.

post-97-099500700 1333892498.jpg

post-97-052593000 1333892499.jpg

post-97-096952600 1333892499.jpg

post-97-018083000 1333892748.jpg

post-97-054224700 1333892501.jpg

post-97-041835800 1333892502.jpg

Using the original m2ts file in Video Copy and Convert I did all the pre-sets and outputs, Jim Hardin outlined in post #12. None are black after the conversion on my machine.

C2012 Pro on W-7 x64 Ultimate..

post-97-005046800 1333895320.jpg

post-97-075317300 1333895320.jpg

post-97-046579900 1333895321.jpg

I am using...

Internet Explorer 8

Windows Media Player 11

Quicktime 7

Graphics

Intel® G45/G43 Express Chipset 0.0

Anything else needed.

I am using...

Internet Explorer 8

Windows Media Player 11

Quicktime 7

Graphics

Anything else needed.

I forgot, did you update the drivers for that chipset? Go here (link)

What cd & I are finding is that on our systems, there is not any problem with 'black' video...

The conversions that Korey made indicate that the 'black video' was passed along in the conversion process :(

I think the chipset is going to be the problem... do the update as Steve suggested.

Out of curiosity, did they ever work right on your PC?

Please answer that and do the update to your chipset.

We may be able to use a 3rd party converter... but do this stuff first and see what happens ;)

This is the first time i have used Roxio for video editing.

I did the chipset update and everything works now. Was able in inport and edit and then creat a production. I did save it so i could try and get it to burn to a DVD and got an error while eroding movie 1? Any help with that issue? I have uploaded a screen shot for you to check out. Thanks

http://www.upfordown.com/files/download/12096/Screen%20Shot.docx