• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SevenWonders

SevenWonders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

I had no problem making DVD's from our VHS tape player, but when I try to connect my Nikon Action-8 camera to my PC I get a NO SIGNAL sign and occasional sound.  I did everything they say.  I checked my computer.  I updated my drivers and I have it connected correctly and still no signal.  This is very frustrating as this is why I bought the product.  It has nothing to do with my tapes as I can view them perfectly in my camera and I also made a new tape.  I have my Roxio Video Capture USB device with the Roxio Adapter attached pluged in my PC with my video and audio cables attached to my camera.  What am I missing?   :(

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostSevenWonders, on 23 March 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

I had no problem making DVD's from our VHS tape player, but when I try to connect my Nikon Action-8 camera to my PC I get a NO SIGNAL sign and occasional sound.  I did everything they say.  I checked my computer.  I updated my drivers and I have it connected correctly and still no signal.  This is very frustrating as this is why I bought the product.  It has nothing to do with my tapes as I can view them perfectly in my camera and I also made a new tape.  I have my Roxio Video Capture USB device with the Roxio Adapter attached pluged in my PC with my video and audio cables attached to my camera.  What am I missing?   :(

Tell us what version of the program you have. Read this

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

Can you output from the camcorder to a TV or similar?  Perhaps there are issues with the ports.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#4 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,273 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

View PostSevenWonders, on 23 March 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

If it works using the VHS tape player, that proves the Roxio software/hardware is ok.

#5 SevenWonders

SevenWonders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

View Postsknis, on 24 March 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

Can you output from the camcorder to a TV or similar?  Perhaps there are issues with the ports.
You may be right.  We cannot get a clear picture on the TV either.  I don't know anything tech, so does this mean the port is bad in the camera and I am just up the creek with the whole process?  By the way, I appreciate your effort in trying to solve this problem.

#6 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

View PostSevenWonders, on 24 March 2012 - 05:58 AM, said:

You may be right.  We cannot get a clear picture on the TV either.  I don't know anything tech, so does this mean the port is bad in the camera and I am just up the creek with the whole process?  By the way, I appreciate your effort in trying to solve this problem.

Before you throw out that camcorder, and what you want to capture is important,  make an investment in good quality wires with good jacks.  It may be as simple as that.  Can you see any corrosion on the camera posts?

Also consider that the video you are trying to work with may be poor quality.  Do you have any that you can try to see if they work better?
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#7 SevenWonders

SevenWonders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

View Postsknis, on 24 March 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

Before you throw out that camcorder, and what you want to capture is important,  make an investment in good quality wires with good jacks.  It may be as simple as that.  Can you see any corrosion on the camera posts?

Also consider that the video you are trying to work with may be poor quality.  Do you have any that you can try to see if they work better?
I have tried new wires, but I don't know if they were any better.  There is no corrosion. I made a new tape, and that didn't make a difference.  The wires I have are three and three.  There is one red, yellow and white on each side.  The camera has only two ports so the one white wire is not being plugged in. Must I have a two on one side and three on the other cable for it to work.  That is how they are plugged in, but what I am saying is must the cable be accurate to two and three instead of three and three.  I sure hope you get what I mean. Thanks

#8 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,273 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

View PostSevenWonders, on 24 March 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

I have tried new wires, but I don't know if they were any better.  There is no corrosion. I made a new tape, and that didn't make a difference.  The wires I have are three and three.  There is one red, yellow and white on each side.  The camera has only two ports so the one white wire is not being plugged in. Must I have a two on one side and three on the other cable for it to work.  That is how they are plugged in, but what I am saying is must the cable be accurate to two and three instead of three and three.  I sure hope you get what I mean. Thanks

What is the Model # on the Nikon ?, then we could get the manual and help you, maybe.

#9 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostSevenWonders, on 24 March 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Yes, I understand.  I had an old Sony that had ony one port.  The port was used for both audio and video !   It took a stereo jack - one part of the pin was audio and the other audio.  It sounds like you have a video jack and a separate audio jack which may or may not be stereo.  

Thta camcorder was mono.  I took the audio out from the camcorderr and used a splitter to get the mono split into two separate mono streams.

None of which had any effect on the video though ! Posted Image   Since you do get some video you have the yellow wire plugged into the camcorder correctly.

Just in case, do you have or can you get a camcorder head cleaning tape?  Those are not usually recommended for frequent use but you may be able to get some junk off the heads so that the quality may imporve in the short run.

Sorry that I can't offer any more support/help.
PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#10 SevenWonders

SevenWonders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

View Postsknis, on 24 March 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

Yes, I understand.  I had an old Sony that had ony one port.  The port was used for both audio and video !   It took a stereo jack - one part of the pin was audio and the other audio.  It sounds like you have a video jack and a separate audio jack which may or may not be stereo.  

Thta camcorder was mono.  I took the audio out from the camcorderr and used a splitter to get the mono split into two separate mono streams.

None of which had any effect on the video though ! Posted Image   Since you do get some video you have the yellow wire plugged into the camcorder correctly.

Just in case, do you have or can you get a camcorder head cleaning tape?  Those are not usually recommended for frequent use but you may be able to get some junk off the heads so that the quality may imporve in the short run.

Sorry that I can't offer any more support/help.

Yes, I do have the yellow and the red plugged in. I realize that technology has changed since this camcorder, and it is hard to apply todays technology to it.  This even had an RFU adaptor to connect the the VHF antenna.  Unfortunately nothing is working except that the camera still records which is no help to me whatsoever. Thank you for all your help.  I guess this is a camera problem.  I wonder if you can rent cameras to do the job?

#11 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostSevenWonders, on 24 March 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

Yes, I do have the yellow and the red plugged in. I realize that technology has changed since this camcorder, and it is hard to apply todays technology to it.  This even had an RFU adaptor to connect the the VHF antenna.  Unfortunately nothing is working except that the camera still records which is no help to me whatsoever. Thank you for all your help.  I guess this is a camera problem.  I wonder if you can rent cameras to do the job?

Do you need a camcorder or just a player?   What kind of tape does it take?  If it is a simple 8 mm cassette?  You can sometimes get good working 8mm camcorders on such places as e-bay.  I bought a JVC camnocrder that had no probles playing the tapes I recorded with the old Sony.

Edited by sknis, 24 March 2012 - 09:17 AM.

PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#12 SevenWonders

SevenWonders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

View Postsknis, on 24 March 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

Do you need a camcorder or just a player?   What kind of tape does it take?  If it is a simple 8 mm cassette?  You can sometimes get good working 8mm camcorders on such places as e-bay.  I bought a JVC camnocrder that had no probles playing the tapes I recorded with the old Sony.
Actually, I just need a player if that is what will work with my Roxio program.  I have a bunch of video 8 tapes that my mother and my daughter recorded of the years and I need to change them to DVD's.  Whatever it takes...that's what I need.

#13 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostSevenWonders, on 24 March 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

Actually, I just need a player if that is what will work with my Roxio program.  I have a bunch of video 8 tapes that my mother and my daughter recorded of the years and I need to change them to DVD's.  Whatever it takes...that's what I need.

I thnk you'll find a stand alone player will be much more expensive than the camcorder.  Supply and demand.  Good luck.
PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users