• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kamineyeahha

Kamineyeahha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

Someone please help me! I have been trying to burn a blu ray using toast 10, and no matter what I try the audio becomes out of sync near the last 3 minutes of the film (23 minute film). Nothing on any forum has worked, I'm looking for any insight at all.

It happens sometime during the burning process, probably during encoding. I've tried with a few different source files of H.264 (one extension is .264 one is .mov), I've also tried compressing the original .mov to a mpeg-2. Burning a disk image doesnt change anything. I've tried turning the reencoding to never in toast, that also doesnt work.

pleas help me!

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Are you sure this suddenly happens near the end? Typically the audio sync gets gradually worse when this problem occurs. I'm wondering if your source video is 24 frames per second and that the audio goes out of sync when Toast encodes it at 30 fps. What created your source video and what are its specs?
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 Kamineyeahha

Kamineyeahha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

I believe the audio does gradually go out of sync, you can only really notice it near the end of the film.

My editor exported a quicktime from FCP. I have a few different versions to work from depending on what I was going to burn the film onto. I've been using a quicktime file that contains the audio and the video, or a .264 video file and a .ac3 audio.

The quicktime file is H.264 at 23.98 fps, same with the .264 file.

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

View PostKamineyeahha, on 25 March 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

I believe the audio does gradually go out of sync, you can only really notice it near the end of the film.

My editor exported a quicktime from FCP. I have a few different versions to work from depending on what I was going to burn the film onto. I've been using a quicktime file that contains the audio and the video, or a .264 video file and a .ac3 audio.

The quicktime file is H.264 at 23.98 fps, same with the .264 file.
I believe it is Toast changing the frame rate that is the problem. I'm not sure but Toast 11's Blu-ray plug in may support 24 fps video without changing the frame rate. I need to be away for a few hours but will look into this more when I return. The only alternative I can think of is for use to convert the video to 29.97 fps during export from FCP. This obviously is a failure with Toast. I think you said you tried both the MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 settings in Toast's custom encoder settings window. If not, choose whichever one Toast didn't use to see if that works out.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 Kamineyeahha

Kamineyeahha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yes I have tried using both MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 settings. Unfortunately, I can't get to the FCP file without it being a huge pain. I might try using Compressor 4 to change the file to 29.97; although I don't know how that will turn out. I'll continue to play around with things, I'll post what results I get.

#6 Kamineyeahha

Kamineyeahha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Well I tried installing Toast 11.0 - That didn't work
I updated Toast to v11.0.5 - That doesn't help anything

I've tried a few combinations on Compressor 4 - Nothing is working

I'm currently encoding the Quicktime file to 29.97 framerate ... I believe that will only mess up the video but we shall see..

#7 Kamineyeahha

Kamineyeahha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Alright, so I used Compressor 4 to change the frame rate to 29.97 and made a .264 file and a .ac3.

Then I used Toast 11.0.5 to burn a disk image from the .264 and .ac3 files using these settings:

Video Format: MPEG-4 AVC
Ave Bit Rate: 8.0 Mbps
Max Bit Rate: 16.0 Mbps
Motion Estimation: Best (Half-PEL unchecked)
Reencoding: Automatic
Field Dominance: Automatic
Aspect Ratio: Automatic
Audio Format: Dolby Digital
Data Rate: Automatic (Dynamic Range Compression unchecked)

I then Used Toast to copy the disk image to a blu ray disk.

The Picture looks great; however, the audio still drifts out of sync, becoming noticeable near the end. The Sync is noticeably better, only becoming a few frames off.

So ultimately it didn't fix the problem, but it did help out a bit.

#8 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

View PostKamineyeahha, on 25 March 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Alright, so I used Compressor 4 to change the frame rate to 29.97 and made a .264 file and a .ac3.

Then I used Toast 11.0.5 to burn a disk image from the .264 and .ac3 files using these settings:

Video Format: MPEG-4 AVC
Ave Bit Rate: 8.0 Mbps
Max Bit Rate: 16.0 Mbps
Motion Estimation: Best (Half-PEL unchecked)
Reencoding: Automatic
Field Dominance: Automatic
Aspect Ratio: Automatic
Audio Format: Dolby Digital
Data Rate: Automatic (Dynamic Range Compression unchecked)

I then Used Toast to copy the disk image to a blu ray disk.

The Picture looks great; however, the audio still drifts out of sync, becoming noticeable near the end. The Sync is noticeably better, only becoming a few frames off.

So ultimately it didn't fix the problem, but it did help out a bit.
Toast won't re-encode an .ac3 audio stream but instead multiplexes it as is with the video so I don't know how this one got out of sync. I know you're sick of this mess but something that's pretty quick you might try is to use MPEG Streamclip to demux the .mts file created by Toast in the Blu-ray disc (or disc image) to separate .mpeg and .ac3 files. Then trash that .ac3 file. Put the .mpeg file in Toast (with Video files selected as the format) and Toast will ask for the matching audio. Add the .ac3 audio from compressor. Choose Never re-encode from the the Toast custom encoder settings window and see if this one gets synched okay.

#9 mruiz

mruiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

I was having the same issue all day and found a solution. Try this link. It worked for me.

I wish you luck

m i c h a e l

#10 chadandreo

chadandreo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

were you ever able to figure out the issue?
I am using 11 and I am having a similar frustrating issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users