• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chadd

Chadd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

I've made my first VHS to DVD transfers and I'm not satisfied with the image quality. I'm using Roxio Video Capture version 2.0.1 and saving the files to disk at the "high" quality setting, which think is AIC .mov files. I then import to iMovie '11 to trim the heads and tails and add chapter markers at appropriate points, then export to iDVD to burn the disk. I end up with a lot of compression artifacts and horizontal interlacing artifacts. Searching on the Apple forums, I've learned that iMovie '11 deinterlaces video upon import, discarding every other field, in order to make the application work faster. Then iDVD has to re-interlace for the DVD, which explains why it looks like garbage. So iMovie is out.

So I'm looking for another solution for trimming and adding chapter markers without reducing the quality of the video. Any suggestions?
Is it better to use the "high" (AIC) quality setting or the "medium" (h.264) if I'm not going to be using iMovie?

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

If you had Toast you could adjust the start and end time and manually set chapter markers while using the original captured video file. That's all done in preparing the DVD. I know you can adjust the start and end time with QuickTime Player but I don't think it can add markers. iDVD may have an option to automatically add markers in specific time intervals. There may be other DVD-authoring apps that will do the job the way you want. At MacUpdate.com you can search for video editing and DVD authoring apps.

Personally I see no improvement using the AIC capture than using the h.264 capture. Pick a scene that has some action and is pretty dark and then capture it both ways to see if you can see a difference in quality. The advantage of capturing as h.264 is you automatically have a video usable for streaming.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 Chadd

Chadd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for your reply. iDVD can only set chapters at regular intervals, like every 5 minutes. I want to be able to place them a specific events in the video. I could do it with Toast or Adobe Premiere Elements, which are around the same price. I owned Toast, Jam and Premiere 10 years ago, but stopped upgrading once the built-in Apple tools served my needs. At first glance, Toast's video editing capabilities look rudimentary compared with Premiere Elements. It seems I have some research ahead of me.

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostChadd, on 26 March 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Thanks for your reply. iDVD can only set chapters at regular intervals, like every 5 minutes. I want to be able to place them a specific events in the video. I could do it with Toast or Adobe Premiere Elements, which are around the same price. I owned Toast, Jam and Premiere 10 years ago, but stopped upgrading once the built-in Apple tools served my needs. At first glance, Toast's video editing capabilities look rudimentary compared with Premiere Elements. It seems I have some research ahead of me.
Toast 11 added the option to manually place chapter markers. However, you will have Toast's basic menu rather than iDVD's motion menus with audio. QuickTime 7 Pro has keyboard commands for setting chapters. As a longtime Mac user you may have QuickTime 7 Pro in your Utilities folder if you had at one bought the Pro license from Apple. At MacUpdate I found an app called QTMarker that may do the trick for you. I haven't downloaded or tested it.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 Chadd

Chadd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the reminder that I can do the trimming in Quicktime Player. I hadn't thought of that.

I bought a Quicktime Pro license in 2002, back when I was still using OS9. It doesn't look like I ever upgraded Quicktime 7 to Pro. Apple still sells QT 7 Pro, but adding chapters in it seems terribly convoluted. Looking at the user guide, you have to startby making a text file with the names of the chapters, and then go through 20 steps, including adding the timecode for each chapter manually in the text file. For this, I get to pay $30 to go back to the previous version of Quicktime? QTMarker ($24) looks straightforward and simple, but I might first try Metadata Hootenanny (free) and make sure that the chapters show up properly in iDVD.

Premiere Elements is still tempting, to edit more that just heads and tails, as well as adding dissolves, soundtracks, slideshows, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users