• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AngelDevil

AngelDevil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

Please excuse my naivety however i am a PC user who has purchased a new Mac along with Toast Titanium 11.

Can someone please explain how to copy my DVD's straight onto an external hard drive.  I am starting to lose my patience as i am still learning how to drive a new operating system along with new software.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,596 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

The answer depends on whether you're copying commercial video DVDs (those with copy protection) or your homemade video DVDs. Toast cannot help with commercial DVDs. With homemade DVDs the easiest thing to do is choose Disc Copy in the Toast Copy window and insert your source DVD. If you want to select specific titles on the DVD rather than the entire disc click the options button and make your choices. Now choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. Toast may ask if you want to make this fit a single-layer or dual-layer disc. If that choice is offered there is a slight loss in quality when choosing single-layer but you save hard drive space. The copying also takes a little longer. You probably don't have any homemade dual-layer video DVDs so this option probably won't appear.

When the disc image is done it can be played with DVD Player by doing the following: Control-click (or right-click) on the icon for the resulting .toast disc image file and choose "Mount It" from the popup menu that appears. By the way, don't have a video DVD disc in your Mac at this time or DVD Player will load it instead of the mounted disc image. DVD Player should automatically see the mounted disc image as if a DVD disc was inserted. If not you can select it by choosing Open DVD Media from the DVD Player File menu.

You have other options. For instance you can drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD to your Mac's hard drive and put it in a folder that you name with the name of your DVD. You then use the Open DVD Media command from DVD Player's File menu to access the contents of that VIDEO_TS folder. Or you can have Toast convert the videos to computer-playable h.264 MPEG 4 files by using the Toast Convert window to save in the Apple TV format.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users