Jump to content

Roxio Community

Toast 11 Is Not Usable


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Petespix

Petespix

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Last week I purchased Toast 11 for my Lion running 2.7 Ghz i5 iMac. I burned a few data dvds (photography) with no problem. Today I needed to burn more data dvds and am unable to. As soon as I bring a file into Toast to add it to the list of files to include on the dvd I get this error message "Spanning is disabled because the destination disc is too small. The discs should all have at least 39.1MB." I've repaired permissions, deleted Toast, repaired permissions again, reinstalled toast, repaired permissions, updated Toast to 11.0.5 and still it will not work. Somewhere in there I deleted preferences also. Clicking okay on the error message just causes a new one to appear. The program is frozen and must be force quit through activity monitor. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?

Edit- I just noticed that my "Space Remaining" for a dvd is only 18.1 MB and that is with no files added. The remaining space apppears correct for dual layer dvd or cd but dvd is wrong. That must be the problem but how to fix it?

Peter

Edited by Petespix, 27 March 2012 - 10:39 AM.


#2 tsantee

tsantee

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eugene, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Wow. What a mess! Some other users have reported problems burning data discs using Toast 11.0.5 so I suggest not using that version. I don't know if the version you received last week is 11.0.4, but if it isn't you can download 11.0.4 from Roxio's Software Updates page. (They thankfully haven't updated that link to the 11.0.5 version as yet).

Some users also have reported over the years that Toast isn't showing the correct space available for a disc in its window. This is caused by corrupted Toast preference files. There are two such files: one is a plist and the other is a prefs file. Go to your User>Library>Preferences folder and trash those. You seem to be very knowledgeable about Macs but I always point out to Lion users that the User Library is accessed by holding down the Option key while selecting the Go menu in the Finder.

The problem with 11.0.5 being reported by a couple users is the burning of data discs stopping at 99% (Toast not writing the lead-out). That isn't a problem with 11.0.4. Hopefully using 11.0.4 with new Toast preferences will fix the problem for you.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 Petespix

Petespix

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

View Posttsantee, on 27 March 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Wow. What a mess! Some other users have reported problems burning data discs using Toast 11.0.5 so I suggest not using that version. I don't know if the version you received last week is 11.0.4, but if it isn't you can download 11.0.4 from Roxio's Software Updates page. (They thankfully haven't updated that link to the 11.0.5 version as yet).

Some users also have reported over the years that Toast isn't showing the correct space available for a disc in its window. This is caused by corrupted Toast preference files. There are two such files: one is a plist and the other is a prefs file. Go to your User>Library>Preferences folder and trash those. You seem to be very knowledgeable about Macs but I always point out to Lion users that the User Library is accessed by holding down the Option key while selecting the Go menu in the Finder.

The problem with 11.0.5 being reported by a couple users is the burning of data discs stopping at 99% (Toast not writing the lead-out). That isn't a problem with 11.0.4. Hopefully using 11.0.4 with new Toast preferences will fix the problem for you.
Thanks for the quick reply Tsantee. I had deleted all those files but I can't remember if I ever just installed 11 0 4 after or ugdated to 11 0 5. I'll try again but stay in 11 0 4 and let you know how it went.

Peter

#4 Petespix

Petespix

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostPetespix, on 27 March 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Thanks for the quick reply Tsantee. I had deleted all those files but I can't remember if I ever just installed 11 0 4 after or ugdated to 11 0 5. I'll try again but stay in 11 0 4 and let you know how it went.

Peter


So far it is working with version 11 0 4, at least it is burning at the moment. Hopefully it will complete the burn and the disk will be readable.
Thanks for that info about the problem with 11 0 5. I hope they can resolve that.

#5 Petespix

Petespix

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostPetespix, on 27 March 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

So far it is working with version 11 0 4, at least it is burning at the moment. Hopefully it will complete the burn and the disk will be readable.
Thanks for that info about the problem with 11 0 5. I hope they can resolve that.

Well the disk was fine but the same problem is there as before in attempting to burn a second disk. Selecting DVD as the media to write to shows there is only 18.1MB of space remaining even though no files have been added. As soon as a file is added I get the same Spanning is disabled... error message.

If I have to delete plist and pref files for every disk then this program is useless for me. I've been a loyal Toast user since 2004 there abouts and never had any issues with it, it just worked. Toastis a now a nightmare in my workflow!!!
Can you tell I'm frustrated?

Any ideas to make this work continuously?

Peter

#6 tsantee

tsantee

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eugene, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostPetespix, on 27 March 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

Well the disk was fine but the same problem is there as before in attempting to burn a second disk. Selecting DVD as the media to write to shows there is only 18.1MB of space remaining even though no files have been added. As soon as a file is added I get the same Spanning is disabled... error message.

If I have to delete plist and pref files for every disk then this program is useless for me. I've been a loyal Toast user since 2004 there abouts and never had any issues with it, it just worked. Toastis a now a nightmare in my workflow!!!
Can you tell I'm frustrated?

Any ideas to make this work continuously?

Peter
The issue with the corrupted preferences file is not all that common and I don't know why it is repeating on your Mac. This is baffling me. When you "Get Info" for the Toast app in the Finder does it show the version as 11.0.4 (710). That's the one I have which came from Roxio's software updates page.

I get pretty upset, too, when people report problems with data disc burning. That should work better than anything else in Toast. You may already have done this, but choose New Disc from the Toast File menu when you want to start a new data disc session.

I wish I knew what was causing this.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#7 Petespix

Petespix

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Yes it is 11.0. 4. I've just deleted the program from applications, 1 pref file and 4 plists, reinstalled Toast and repaired permissions. I'll try a couple more dvds, it appears I'll be able to burn one for sure. When I go to file in the menu bar, new disk is grayed out. Regardless what I do the window which has Data, Audio, Video, Copy and Convert is open. This is the window that you drag files into. So no I haven't been able to choose New Disk.

I'll let you know how this is working.

Thanks

#8 tsantee

tsantee

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eugene, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

View PostPetespix, on 27 March 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

Yes it is 11.0. 4. I've just deleted the program from applications, 1 pref file and 4 plists, reinstalled Toast and repaired permissions. I'll try a couple more dvds, it appears I'll be able to burn one for sure. When I go to file in the menu bar, new disk is grayed out. Regardless what I do the window which has Data, Audio, Video, Copy and Convert is open. This is the window that you drag files into. So no I haven't been able to choose New Disk.

I'll let you know how this is working.

Thanks
I just checked. New Disc is grayed out until you complete having Toast burn a disc or save a disc image. Then it is active for starting a new project.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#9 CaptainGoffy

CaptainGoffy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

Hi - am new to Toast and iMac but after years of Nero and Windows grief I made the switch.

I have had problems burning files to dvd with the encoding stopping at 99% and the error message about insufficient space on DVD.

Have tried bot Toast 11 and Toast 10 = same problem. I know from other posts this problem goes way back ... I  do think it's to do with file types I am trying to compile in this project. 22 mins of the hour long compilation are MPEG-2, of which 2 are 1920 x 1080, 29.97 fps.

It's not the lack of space on my HD - I have masses, it's not the type of DVD I've tried many.

It's not the Toast version..I have set it to DVD...

So my question is as this "lack of space" / "99%" issue ever resolved ? Not very technical here, so keep it simple !

Meanwhile i will try and burn an image and then put that on DVD.

Help !!



View Posttsantee, on 27 March 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

I just checked. New Disc is grayed out until you complete having Toast burn a disc or save a disc image. Then it is active for starting a new project.


#10 Petespix

Petespix

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

A quick note before I head out for the day. Toast seems to be working fine for me at this time. I don't know what was the problem but I've burned about 6 disks without a problem. Maybe it was just a Lion issue???

Peter

#11 tsantee

tsantee

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eugene, Oregon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostCaptainGoffy, on 28 March 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

Hi - am new to Toast and iMac but after years of Nero and Windows grief I made the switch.

I have had problems burning files to dvd with the encoding stopping at 99% and the error message about insufficient space on DVD.

Have tried bot Toast 11 and Toast 10 = same problem. I know from other posts this problem goes way back ... I  do think it's to do with file types I am trying to compile in this project. 22 mins of the hour long compilation are MPEG-2, of which 2 are 1920 x 1080, 29.97 fps.

It's not the lack of space on my HD - I have masses, it's not the type of DVD I've tried many.

It's not the Toast version..I have set it to DVD...

So my question is as this "lack of space" / "99%" issue ever resolved ? Not very technical here, so keep it simple !

Meanwhile i will try and burn an image and then put that on DVD.

Help !!
If saving as a disc image doesn't work out, post this problem as a new topic and we'll try to work through it.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#12 CaptainGoffy

CaptainGoffy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

View Posttsantee, on 05 April 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

If saving as a disc image doesn't work out, post this problem as a new topic and we'll try to work through it.

Since i wrote this, I have "solved" this in a sense....It was to do with the size of the film clips I was trying to burn - I converted them to a slightly smaller format from 1920x1080 to  1290x720 - was it called Apple Standard or something similar. That worked and burned with good quality to disc.

I would tell you more but i find Toast somewhat impenetrable and the help files/tutorials weak in that there is nothing of use concerning file conversion. I almost worked this through by accident, but achieved the end result i wanted at least. Not even sure i could do it again !

Toast has many useful features, but the lack of guidance makes life difficult, even finding video files via the right hand window is a complicated process. For example where does the web video go ?? I successfully collect clips from e.g. youtube, but after closing down, and re-starting there are no files visible in the web video window at all. I know they are somewhere but clearly hidden ...

#13 tsantee

tsantee

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eugene, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

View PostCaptainGoffy, on 09 April 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

Since i wrote this, I have "solved" this in a sense....It was to do with the size of the film clips I was trying to burn - I converted them to a slightly smaller format from 1920x1080 to  1290x720 - was it called Apple Standard or something similar. That worked and burned with good quality to disc.

I would tell you more but i find Toast somewhat impenetrable and the help files/tutorials weak in that there is nothing of use concerning file conversion. I almost worked this through by accident, but achieved the end result i wanted at least. Not even sure i could do it again !

Toast has many useful features, but the lack of guidance makes life difficult, even finding video files via the right hand window is a complicated process. For example where does the web video go ?? I successfully collect clips from e.g. youtube, but after closing down, and re-starting there are no files visible in the web video window at all. I know they are somewhere but clearly hidden ...
Before quitting Toast control click on the Web video and choose the Show in Finder (or whatever it says) option. A window opens in the Finder from which you can trash or copy the videos if you like. If you want to convert them to a different format you can drag them from the Media Browser or from the Finder window to the Toast Convert window with Video Files selected as the format.

Toast attempts to do a great many different things and is not always intuitive or bug free. You're welcome to post here for any walk-throughs or workarounds.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#14 ivanatrox

ivanatrox

    Moderator

  • Administrators
  • 1,218 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Does anyone still have the same issue after 11.0.6 update?

Ivan
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !

#15 Dr. Pepper 6044

Dr. Pepper 6044

    Apprentice

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

View Postivanatrox, on 24 April 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

Does anyone still have the same issue after 11.0.6 update?

Ivan
I have the same question. I bought a download and it is 11.0.6. Do I need to go back to 11.0.4?

Bill

#16 elquetzal

elquetzal

    Novice

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alhaurin el Grande, Malaga ,Spain

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

I am a first time user of Toast and purchased my copy (11.0.6) a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have tried to do some basic tasks and have wasted a lot of time as some of the options available just do not work. I have leaned that it is futile contacting Support as they either ignore your issue or reply with recommendations that have no bearing whatsoever on the problem. The latest offering from them informs me that it is my MacBook Pro that is causing the problems in Toast 11, not the application. They have even requested copies of the system information for my Mac. I use three Macs and they all have the same issues with Toast 11.

When I first installed Toast 11.0.6 I immediately discovered that I was unable to burn data to disc as the burn stopped at 99%. This was resolved when I installed the beta version 11.1.0. We all seem to be aware of this issue, with the exception of Support who simply ignore it. My next task was to try and capture videos from YouTube. Before attempting I to do this I read up on everything I could find. I have tried this procedure dozens of times with various types of web video formats, and from memory, think I have only seen the video appear in the media window a couple of times. I have now given up on this option and have reverted to a free application that I have previously used in conjunction with Firefox that has always worked.

I tried for many hours to join three video clips together and then discovered that Toast 11 only handles .mpg format for this option. It might handle others but I could not get it to recognize them. Under Edit in the tool bar "Merge Videos" is always greyed out. Unfortunately when I eventually thought I had achieved something with the .mpg clips, I became completely confused as I could not find any tutorial on the subject. Whilst on the subject of tutorials, I could not find many available relating to Toast 11.

Having read numerous critical reports on Spin Doctor I thought I would give it a try for myself. Within a short time I discovered that I would be better off sticking to my trusty audio capturing application which is available free if you don't want to record more than 10 mins per recording. Very disappointing.

Late last night after getting extremely frustrated with Toast, I decided to accept that this version should never have been released due to all the bugs associated with it. I have only tried out a small percentage of the options that Roxio claim Toast is capable of doing, and have no intention of wasting more time finding other problems. I will wait until hopefully a new version is released that can be used 100%. Finally, before purchasing Toast 11, I read every independent review that I could find, not one mentioned the current problems. I now firmly believe that these reviewers used Roxio's press releases only to prepare their reviews. I wonder how many actually physically tested the application.

I am sorry if I appear to be only negative here but my experience with Toast 11 and Roxio (Corel) support has been extremely disappointing and frustrating. I used Roxio's Popcorn for a few years and confirm that I had few problems with it for carrying out the basics. When I decided to upgrade to Toast 11, I was looking forward to achieving so much more, and eliminating other Software that Toast 11 claims to be able to do. So far this has not proved to be the case. If anyone has discovered how to use the couple of options that I have mentioned successfully, I would appreciate how it was done.

#17 Fulgerite

Fulgerite

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

View PostDr. Pepper 6044, on 26 April 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

I have the same question. I bought a download and it is 11.0.6. Do I need to go back to 11.0.4?

Bill


I have been working on this problem forever a week now.  After upgrading from 11.0.4 to 11.0.6 all my Macs get stuck at the 99% "Finalize" stage.  Both Toast 11.0.5 and 11.0.6 are useless.  The Toast technical support are completely useless exercises in deflecting blame.  (Example:  Have you repaired your permissions?  Have you rebooted your computer?  Here are some general notes about why disks fail to burn.  It must be your computer... Take it to have it repaired...  Can't possibly be our fault...)

One Toast engineer on this forum posted an alpha build of 11.1 that does successfully burn disks but the Verify feature fails after each burn.

The only way I have been able to burn disks at this point was to revert back to Toast 11.0.4.  11.0.4 seems to be working normally for me.

I think they have a serious problem with 11.0.5 and 11.0.6.  A lot of people are complaining.  There does not seem to be any answers other than reverting back to 11.0.4.

#18 Fulgerite

Fulgerite

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

OK... So I have isolated a particular file that demonstrates the 99% bug with 11.0.6 repeatably. The offending file is a software application that we are authorized to distribute legally. (The program is called Pano2VR.app.) Each time you attempt to burn this file with Toast 11.0.6 it will freeze at 99%. (You don't actually have to run this program to test burning it.) I have placed the file on a server for anyone to download and verify it does not burn.

See: http://www.panoscan.com/Pano2VR.zip

The file is zipped. To run your own test:

1. Download the file and unzip it onto any Mac running 10.7.3 with a fresh installation of Toast Titanium 11.0.6.

2. Launch Toast 11.0.6 and select the Data tab. Drag the Pano2VR.app into the data window.

3. Select CD ROM and click the burn button. (Insert a blank CD ROM as required.)

Watch & see how the burn freezes at 99%. You will have to force quit Toast to exit the program.

Now... Repeat the exact same test with Toast 11.0.4 and it will burn normally without any issues.

I hope some engineer at Roxio or Corel actually READ this post and try it. Hopefully this will help the engineers isolate the BUG.

Edited by Fulgerite, 06 May 2012 - 10:48 AM.


#19 Tyomni

Tyomni

    Novice

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostDr. Pepper 6044, on 26 April 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

I have the same question. I bought a download and it is 11.0.6. Do I need to go back to 11.0.4?

Bill
http://forums.suppor...372#entry408372 Looks like guys have lot of claims to it, I haven't checked.

#20 2bluerussian

2bluerussian

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

You'll have to pardon my ignorance on this issue, but this looks like a valid place to pose this question... If I wanted to revert back to 11.0.4 from 11.0.6, how would one go about removing ALL of the files?  With no "Add/Remove Programs" on a Mac, I'm always concerned I won't get them all.  Could someone post a list of files that need to be removed and their relative location?  I have seen reference to plist files and preference files, but haven't been able to locate them.  Do you just toss these files in the trash (and empty it), or is there an uninstaller?  Also, do you know if preference files are shared between major releases of Toast (for instance between Toast 9 and Toast 11)?  I've been doing some work in both programs and there certainly seems to be communication between them.

Thanks!!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users