• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 snazzyjer

snazzyjer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:47 AM

A few people have had this issue before & it seems the answer is always that they are pulling in an MPEG4 or .avi or something, but mine is the DVD standard MPEG2 and my file size still changes from 4GB to 8GB when I drag it into Toast... I thought I was doing everything correctly.

Here's what I did:

1. Exported full-quality Quicktime from Final Cut Pro 7
2. Used Compressor to create a best-quality MPEG 2 from the QT file (I've also exported directly to Compressor from FCP & made an MPEG 2, but thought this might go a nip faster. Still shouldn't have affected the file size later)
3. Resulting file was 4.2GB
4. Dragged that file into Toast
5. Toast reads the same file as 8.6GB

Even with the audio attached, that would only add less than 1 gig. What am I missing?

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

I don't know why Toast would report that and I don't have Compressor so I can't check it for myself. Is it progressive rather than interlaced or more than 30 fps? If you choose Never Re-encode in the custom encoder settings window and then choose Save as Disc Image there's a good chance that the video and audio will be multiplexed and the resulting disc image will be the correct size. Then burn the disc image to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window? If Toast does re-encode the video even with Never Reencode selected then Toast is seeing something in that mpeg file that isn't meeting the video DVD spec.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 snazzyjer

snazzyjer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

View Posttsantee, on 30 March 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

I don't know why Toast would report that and I don't have Compressor so I can't check it for myself. Is it progressive rather than interlaced or more than 30 fps? If you choose Never Re-encode in the custom encoder settings window and then choose Save as Disc Image there's a good chance that the video and audio will be multiplexed and the resulting disc image will be the correct size. Then burn the disc image to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window? If Toast does re-encode the video even with Never Reencode selected then Toast is seeing something in that mpeg file that isn't meeting the video DVD spec.

Thanks!

I am trying this. I made a Disc Image & brought back into Toast as you recommended. With the fit-to-dvd compression activated, it brings the disc image size from 7GB to 3.something. Burning now, hopefully all the chapter markers have remained, etc.

There is a VERY good chance that the sheer length of my video is affecting everything (it's almost 3 hours). However, I still get a bit confused about this because, even though it is 3 hours, that shouldn't necessarily address why the file size changes in Toast. Or, if it does, I'm trying to understand why it would read as 4GB on my hard drive if it is in fact closer to 8GB as Toast reports. Regardless of the length of video, the file size should be the file size, right? (pardon my ignorance if I'm way off)

Anyway, I'm aware that putting such a lengthy video onto a DVD will necessarily sacrifice quality in order to even fit, but that's not a huge concern. I'm mainly trying to save enough space for the menus that the client wants (weirdly, they care more about the professional look of the DVD itself, and less-so about the look of the content). Trying to find that happy balance between lower bit rates and appropriate file size without everything looking TOO crappy, and still leaving a little space for the menu pages they're designing.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

Jeremy

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postsnazzyjer, on 30 March 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

Thanks!

I am trying this. I made a Disc Image & brought back into Toast as you recommended. With the fit-to-dvd compression activated, it brings the disc image size from 7GB to 3.something. Burning now, hopefully all the chapter markers have remained, etc.

There is a VERY good chance that the sheer length of my video is affecting everything (it's almost 3 hours). However, I still get a bit confused about this because, even though it is 3 hours, that shouldn't necessarily address why the file size changes in Toast. Or, if it does, I'm trying to understand why it would read as 4GB on my hard drive if it is in fact closer to 8GB as Toast reports. Regardless of the length of video, the file size should be the file size, right? (pardon my ignorance if I'm way off)

Anyway, I'm aware that putting such a lengthy video onto a DVD will necessarily sacrifice quality in order to even fit, but that's not a huge concern. I'm mainly trying to save enough space for the menus that the client wants (weirdly, they care more about the professional look of the DVD itself, and less-so about the look of the content). Trying to find that happy balance between lower bit rates and appropriate file size without everything looking TOO crappy, and still leaving a little space for the menu pages they're designing.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

Jeremy
I'm baffled, too, about why Toast reported a different size. I just did a test with a 1 hour 45 minute .m2v and .ac3 stream and Toast reported their size the same as they are described in the Finder. Three hours is long for a single-layer DVD but not unheard of. I think Toast can even fit that much when set to its lower bit rates. However, I'm told it is better to encode at a higher rate and then use fit-to-DVD to requantize the video to fit. Hopefully the steps you followed are working for you.

I don't know if the issue you're experiencing is related to using Compressor or using a very low bit rate. It's a mystery. Toast does have its quirks.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users